Is it worth it to ship a car across the states or drive it?

Considering buying a car on the east coast... does anyone have any recommendations for car shipping companies? I'm looking for something that is respectable and has covered shipping available ... how much does this run say from ATL to LA? Thanks for the tips

Having driven the car and regretted it, it's much more worth shipping it.
Driving it = Rock Chips, accident risk, ticket risks, tires, mileage/potential breakdown
Shipping it = None of the above - may cost just about the same, likely less when you factor in flying ticket, cost of gas/hotel/food, exhaustion from driving, depreciation, and damage and risk.

Trust me, I can be very cheap, and sometimes I get less then I bargain for...

As far as companies, just make sure you get a good one and just pay the bill... I drove my car, lots of fun - and I am ok with some of the costs..but lots of surprises and realizing that it cost a lot more to drive then it would have been to ship it (like donating > $500 to the state of California.....God Bless their heart and I hope it goes to good use... :rolleyes: )

After getting the run-a-around from more than a few shipping companies (they all seemed busy and could have cared less about timing & customer service + it would have taken a month to ship my car from MO to WA State & cost around $2K in an enclosed trailer) I decided to fly and drive it home 2400 miles.

Had a great time...took my V-1 and some CDs.

it would be great to drive it home but there are potential that the might break down. the current owner might of not taken care of the car as expected and delayed some of the maintenance. i say ship it home first and see for yourself how the car runs within your possession and then when you want to take it for a long drive you'll feel safer.

cost:

unclosed trailer - $1,000-$1,500
enclosed trailer - $2,000-$2,500

Drive it!!!

I did it last year, and had a great time!! It was a 2400 mile trip, we didn't wash it once the whole way, so it was just covered in dirt and bugs and stuff by then time we got back (it even got snowed on a bit!). The NSX is made for trips like that! It's the perfect cross country machine.

Go with a bud, stay in a cheap motel, eat twizzlers and jerky and have lunch at greasy spoon diners.

Roadtrip Time!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I shipped mine from New Jersey to California, cost $1,800, took 4 days in enclosed carrier, Horseless Carriage. No problems at all.

Drive it !!!!
That's the best part of the experience !

If you have the free time, AAA, and the car is newer or you have no little doubt regarding its reliability, drive it.

If it's a 91-94 etc., especially with substantial miles, there is an element of risk involved. Given that you are driving it 2k miles near winter time; are the tires up for any challenge or are they strictly performance tires? The tread might be mediocre right now but towards the end of your trip if you hit a big rain storm will it hold ok? Wouldn't surprise me to see noticeable tread loss in 2k miles on NSX rear tires.

haha thanks for the replies guys.... yea im torn! I've driven across the country about 6 or 7 times on various road trips.. and i love it...

the car im looking at is this one:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82012

It looks to be in great shape. I have more pictures of the car. Brand new tires and rims... timing belt / water pump just done... and it sounds great. not a bad price either...

The only problem is I don't have the time to go and fly to VA and drive it back... :( As much as I'd love it...

I looked at this company briefly: http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

The quotes don't seem all that bad but it says 18 days? I guess you could pay for the expedited delivery .....

Can anyone make any recommendations for companies that I should go with? I want it to be covered for sure since its winter time and the roads will be covered in salt and crap...

thx!

I shipped mine from New Jersey to California, cost $1,800, took 4 days in enclosed carrier, Horseless Carriage. No problems at all.

What was the name of the company? Horseless Carriage? :biggrin:

Get some prices for shipping and then look at what it will cost fly/drive. Driving is not cheap with fuel, lodging, and food. Then there is the time involved which also has a cost. If you have all the time in the world and like driving cross country then it's easy an easy decision I have not heard of anyone here that has regretted driving.

Get some prices for shipping and then look at what it will cost fly/drive. Driving is not cheap with fuel, lodging, and food. Then there is the time involved which also has a cost. If you have all the time in the world and like driving cross country then it's easy an easy decision I have not heard of anyone here that has regretted driving.

Yea I am working on a project that's going to have me tied up for the next few weeks .... as much as I'd love to drive it across the country at 130mph :)

I got mine shipped in an enclosed carrier as well from Missouri to so cal from $1200.......I don't see myself going through the hassle of flying there and driving that long. But good luck on whatever you decide....some people like taking those long drives.......not for me.

I drove mine 1150 miles home and loved every minute of it. If you don't have the time it is understandable. I would do a search on this site for transportation companys as I remember, there were several threads that had recommendations.

haha thanks for the replies guys.... yea im torn! I've driven across the country about 6 or 7 times on various road trips.. and i love it...

the car im looking at is this one:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82012

It looks to be in great shape. I have more pictures of the car. Brand new tires and rims... timing belt / water pump just done... and it sounds great. not a bad price either...

The only problem is I don't have the time to go and fly to VA and drive it back... :( As much as I'd love it...

I looked at this company briefly: http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

The quotes don't seem all that bad but it says 18 days? I guess you could pay for the expedited delivery .....

Can anyone make any recommendations for companies that I should go with? I want it to be covered for sure since its winter time and the roads will be covered in salt and crap...

thx!

I shipped mine from coast to coast with Reliable Carriers for $1800 in an enclosed trailer. After using them I'd use them again. I've heard negative things about DAS.. You should be able to search on Prime about them.

February is not a good month to choose for a cross country drive. If it was May to October, then drive, but this time of year, ship it. Or just keep looking to find a west coast car. If you are paitent you will find another nice car.

Check out www.passport.fedex.com. Their custom critical shipping is used by a lot of folks at the barrett-jackson auto auction. I used them to ship my SL55 from California to Colorado in an enclosed carrier. It took 3.5 days and cost $1,000. They were VERY professional and to go on across the country doesn't cost much more. I know because I mistakenly sent them a D.C. address and the quote was about $1,400 for that before I sent in another request to Colorado. Hope that helps.

my vote goes for driving it. As long as the car is in good shape and good to go on its maintenance.

What could go wrong IT’S A NSX, it’s not going to break down. If you are concerned with rock chips get some of that blue masking tape and go to town. Check the car over good and drive it. Take the girlfriend/wife/kid or friend with you and have a good time, get to know the car I’m sure you will love it.

I love road trips the GF and I drive all over in search of the best roads, it’s a good time.:wink:

I've done both. I preferred driving it.

It's also nice to make the deal in person. I've flown from L.A. to Chicago for a car that was supposed to be "perfect" (Had even been inpsected by locals), but was actually bad enough that I refused to complete the deal. Even though it cost me another plane ticket, I still considered myself lucky that I hadn't just had it shipped.

Considering buying a car on the east coast... does anyone have any recommendations for car shipping companies? I'm looking for something that is respectable and has covered shipping available ... how much does this run say from ATL to LA? Thanks for the tips

Drive it. If you pass through Indianapolis you can stay at my house for free and even park in the garage for the night. A cross country trip in an NSX is a rare life opportunity.

I bought my second NSX in Pa and drove 1850 miles to San Antonio, Texas. Fun but long drive. My third NSX I bought this weekend in Vail Co and trailered it home with a U-haul car trailer. It cost 450 for a one way move and 49 per day for local, so I rented in San Antonio took it there to pick up the car and towed it home. Total cost was $150 for the trailer. Then one hotel night and lots of gas for the landcruiser. Towing through the rockies was rough. This car was a garage Queen and I wanted to avoid getting on the salt roads. I would always go in person to pick up a car

After getting the run-a-around from more than a few shipping companies (they all seemed busy and could have cared less about timing & customer service + it would have taken a month to ship my car from MO to WA State & cost around $2K in an enclosed trailer) I decided to fly and drive it home 2400 miles.

Had a great time...took my V-1 and some CDs.

BAM!! Plus, your car drove better since it was Grand Prix White. ;) :cool:

Back