IRL- Champ Car Merger

Re: Atlantics

now that CART is gone, who sanctions Atlantic
Yeah, very unsettled; they are just adrift right now and not tied to any sanctioning body. They seem to have a pretty good schedule (and should get some good exposure) considering the chaos that surrounds them. I guess they are like the Star Mazda series; :cool: surviving on their own with a single owner who manages to put on a good enough show that they can tie up with some major races. Let's see, Star goes with IMSA, so maybe the Atlantics will too. Just my guess. :confused: Maybe Larry from IMSA will jump in and explain how this can/could/might work?

Walker pulled the plug on the EARL but will run an Atlantic team I heard, so that's some kind of endorsement.

Re: I can't believe it

Gene Simmons is still connected with the EARL? I thought they got rid of that clueless nut job a long time ago. And now there's a sex tape of him floating around? God, I don't want to see it, but would like to hear a summary of the shennanigans that, no doubt, out-do Max Mosley.

As Despain said; it's not "I am Indy" anymore, it's "I am Indecent".

If you believe the old adage that a man is known by the company he keeps, this is one more clue that FTG is also clueless. :wink:

Re: I can't believe it

Gene Simmons is still connected with the EARL? I thought they got rid of that clueless nut job a long time ago. And now there's a sex tape of him floating around? God, I don't want to see it, but would like to hear a summary of the shennanigans that, no doubt, out-do Max Mosley.

As Despain said; it's not "I am Indy" anymore, it's "I am Indecent".

If you believe the old adage that a man is known by the company he keeps, this is one more clue that FTG is also clueless. :wink:

Oh boy! A tape of an old geezer. Maybe if it were 25 years ago when Shannon Tweed was a playmate.

That whole deal never made sense. Perhaps this is the escape for the IRL.

The week + of time trials, while not quite the event of old, was better than the last half dozen years. Good to see Buddy Lazier hang out his guts on a qualifying special, and in some respects, sadly see Marty Roth put in 4 laps to make the show and Max Papis not make it.

Still a long way to go, but the sport is moving forward again.

Miner

From ESPN.com. A whopping 1 share for the tape delayed broadcast of the Bombardier 550. Trivial compared to the NFL or NASCAR, but 44% more than last year.

"Last Saturday night's Bombardier Learjet 550k at Texas Motor Speedway ranks as the highest-rated and most-viewed IndyCar Series race broadcast ever on ESPN2 and the second most-viewed series race in ESPN and ESPN2 history.

The broadcast produced a 1.0 cable rating and reached 939,160 households, surpassing the .85 rating for this year's season-opening race at Homestead that previously held the ESPN2 record. It was also a 44 percent increase over last year's Texas race, which drew a 0.7 rating and 639,952 households.

The rating is the percentage watching a program among homes with televisions.

It was another step up for the series, which has seen steady gains since it was announced in February that the two rival American open-wheel series were unifying under the IRL IndyCar Series umbrella.

"This is a positive step forward for the league post-unification," said Eddie Gossage, president of the Texas track, "but there is a lot more work to do on a national scale to make the IndyCar Series more prominent among sports fans."

Re: Who's really watching?

The rating is the percentage watching a program among homes with televisions.
Well, I guess they count me as watching even though I just record it and don't bother watching when the Speed Report and Robin Miller tell me all I need to know. That race yesterday was an embarrassment. maybe they should nix that track.

Re: Who's really watching?

Well, I guess they count me as watching even though I just record it and don't bother watching when the Speed Report and Robin Miller tell me all I need to know. That race yesterday was an embarrassment. maybe they should nix that track.

I watched some of the race and it was pretty mediocre. I'm not sure if it was the track or the combination. Richmond has had better races before. Sometimes the races just don't work out.

Miller is about right with his report card. But at least there is one set of report cards this mid season. It is interesting to see the varsity teams from the CCWS starting to show some promise. With Dario needing a ride now, will he go back to AGR (ie, Marco, Danica, Hideki Honda and filler) or will he go somewhere else?

Miner

Re: Musical racing seats

With Dario needing a ride now, will he go back to AGR
Yeah, it would be nice if the tide turned and some hot shoes came back to race "them nekkid tires".

Unrelated, but what's the deal with Herta getting fired from AGR ALMS? Man, just because he's old and slow? :rolleyes: I'm just kidding, I have no idea if he's lost it or not. But he is old and that's the sad facts of racing.

Makes me wonder what happened to the proposed old timer's league that was going to run, what was it, old Champ Cars? That could've been a lot of fun, if for no other reason than they'd show the race at noon on Wednesday on Speed and those old phuquers would say whatever they wanted. That would be a hoot.

AOW racing needs some realism and fun again; let's go back in time and not be so PC for the darling (and fickle) weekend TV audience .

Re: Dario out - the reason

Here's what the AutoExtremist published:

NASCAR. Don't think the NASCAR slide is for real? Chip Ganassi has pulled the plug on his No. 40 NASCAR team because of lack of sponsorship, leaving Dario Franchitti, the 2007 Indy 500 winner and IRL Series champion, out of a ride. “If I keep going I run the risk of dragging the other two teams down. I don’t want to do that,” Ganassi told the Associated Press. “There’s no money. It makes no sense to be running this out of my pocket. I had to put a stop to it.” In other words, a steaming bowl of Not Good.

Things are slowing down in Cup, just like the rest of business. I remember 5 or 6 years ago things were slow then as well.

Of the 3 full time open wheel guys racing in Cup this season (Hornish, Carpentier, Franchitti) it seems that Franchitti was the least visible, least successful, least marketed. When you are known as Ashley Judd's husband, that is probably not the best marketing. I never thought Sam Hornish would be more marketable than Dario Franchitti but that is what seems to have happened. That Carpentier guy is the French Canadien who can drive a race car 'as the announcers call him' and is marketable as such.

Maybe Dario and Herta will both retire and join the 'Senior' tour if it comes to be.

Mark

Re: It would be nice, but...........

don't hold your breath for Paul Tracy to rescue the Edmonton race.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/07/09/6105481-sun.html

Maybe if they promoted it right..........you know, kind of like the mask & cape caper a couple of years ago. He could ceremonially drive around in the back with everyone cheering and no expectations. Maybe threaten to take out the leaders when they lap him :cool: Hey, we're just having fun now, right? I mean who takes the Earl seriously when they let guys like Roth :rolleyes: in the field????

Just a thought......didn't think you'd go for it. :tongue:

Re: The PT saga......oh, I get it now

FTG probably thinks you can have too much of a good thing. Right now, he's got Danica creating the media circus marching down the pit lane to Penske's pit and then crashing into Ganassi's crew. She's the queen bitch everyone loves to hate. If PT comes out of the shadows, some lime light is taken off of her..........is that how it works? :confused: oh wait, we're talking about the mind of FTG, I can't use "work" in the same sentence. :rolleyes:

Hopefully now we can move forward with one united league! Will be interesting to see how well Paul Tracy plays with the IRL boys:eek:

FINALLY!:biggrin: This is what I've been waiting for since February when I originally posted. Got to fire up the TiVo for this one....could be interesting!

Re: It would be nice, but...........

don't hold your breath for Paul Tracy to rescue the Edmonton race.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/07/09/6105481-sun.html

I don't believe the race needs to be "rescued". The past three champ car races in Edmonton were only second in attendance to Mexico city. The drivers like to course. It really has a great vantange point for fans as well.

I really doubt if Paul Tracey will be there. I really hope he isn't. Best to stick with just hard core racing and skip the hype!

Would you lease a car to Paul T??

Last edited:
Best to stick with just hard core racing and skip the hype!
Sounds good to me. Let me know when your time machine is ready to go back to the mid 90's. :wink: But this is '08 and we work with what we've got; a constant dribble of new fans that marketers believe live for hype. :frown: Another topic for another day.

Anyway, my use of the word "rescue" was tongue in cheek; no reflection on Edmonton fans or anything local; it's just that CC and you guys made the race what is was and now FTG is running this show. We'll look for your report on how the Earl does with this race and how you fans up there like it. At least it won't be a roundy-round crash fest. :cool:

Re: Changes in racing

Here's what the AutoExtremist published: NASCAR. Don't think the NASCAR slide is for real? Chip Ganassi has pulled the plug on his No. 40 NASCAR team because of lack of sponsorship, leaving Dario Franchitti, the 2007 Indy 500 winner and IRL Series champion, out of a ride. “If I keep going I run the risk of dragging the other two teams down. I don’t want to do that,” Ganassi told the Associated Press. “There’s no money. It makes no sense to be running this out of my pocket. I had to put a stop to it.” In other words, a steaming bowl of Not Good.

Things are slowing down in Cup, just like the rest of business.

AutoExtremist pours more gas on the fire.
July 16, 2008

Reality is about to hit GM Racing's NASCAR programs - hard.

By Peter M. De Lorenzo

Detroit. Yesterday, GM CEO Rick Wagoner outlined a series of cost-cutting measures, including laying off salaried workers, eliminating health care benefits for GM retirees over 65 years old, making even more drastic reductions in truck production, suspending its stock dividend, suspending all executive bonuses, cutting advertising, marketing and promotional programs (including racing), and borrowing at least $2 billion, all in the next eighteen months. These moves are designed to basically save the company from bankruptcy and raise its cash position by $15 billion through the end of 2009. And everything - and I mean everything - is on the table when it comes to these cost reductions, including all of GM's motorsports programs. "There are some elements of motorsports that are very effective means of promotion and communication with certain customer segments. The ones that are less are the ones that will be ... scaled back," GM North America President Troy Clarke added at the news conference. Ouch.

First of all, yesterday's news conference was the first time in the history of the corporation that GM upper management openly addressed or commented upon GM's racing programs in front of the media. In the past, GM's Director of Racing would make statements, or a divisional general manager might make a statement, but only in the context of being at a race weekend or when it was deemed appropriate (signing or re-signing drivers or teams, etc.). Going back long before this, some of you might remember that GM adhered to the bogus "ban" from building and promoting high-performance production cars and racing that the old AMA tried to enforce on the domestic manufacturers in the late 50s and early 60s. While Ford blew the lid off that wrong-headed edict with their "Total Performance" marketing push in the 60s, GM spent most of that decade refusing to admit that they were affiliated with legends like Smokey Yunick, Junior Johnson, Roger Penske, Jim Hall, etc., etc., while providing those stars with "back door" support. (For the record, I preferred the Ford way of going racing, but that's irrelevant to this discussion.)

In mentioning all of this, I'm trying to frame the significance of this event for our readers out there. Think about the fact that GM has never discussed their racing programs on the highest corporate level, in public, ever. Then think about the fact that the first time they do discuss it, it's to talk about the cuts that are on the table. That is a big deal, folks.

As I have been warning for the last two years now, the creeping reality of the domestic manufacturers' freefalling fortunes in the U.S. market was bound to strike at the heart of the Detroit Three's racing programs - especially their NASCAR involvement. And now reality has finally come home to roost at GM racing, and the fallout is not going to be pretty. NASCAR's adoption of the "CoT" was a disastrous decision on their part, because it exposed them to the burgeoning faction within these car companies that refuses to buy into the NASCAR hype and instead correctly point out that all brand recognition has been expunged from NASCAR's Sprint Cup equation by the generic blobs masquerading as "Impalas," "Fusions," "Chargers" and "Camrys," and that the return on investment for the company's involvement is deteriorating at a rapid rate.

So, what does this mean for GM Racing going forward? Here are the five key actions on the table right now at GM:

1. Immediate cuts to NASCAR promotional programs. Ever go to a NASCAR weekend and notice the Chevrolet billboards around the track, or attend Chevy-sponsored events surrounding a race weekend, or go to the "Chevy Rock and Roll 400," or see co-branded promotions in grocery stores or auto parts stores featuring Chevy NASCAR drivers? GM spends millions of dollars on these programs every year, and these are the deals that will come under immediate scrutiny. Some track contracts have already been cancelled, and other contracts with individual tracks expiring at the end of this year will not be renewed. Ongoing contracts will come under heavy fire. And a lot of the small promotions that add up to a significant chunk of change will fall by the wayside. It doesn't sound like much, but believe me, to the tracks involved this will have a huge impact.

2. Immediate cuts to NASCAR-themed advertising spending. The ubiquitous Chevrolet spots on NASCAR broadcasts will be cut by 20 percent right off the top. This is probably the most painless cut GM can do, unless you're on the receiving end of it as a TV network media honcho, or at a media company that has the responsibility of placing that ad, that is.

3. All team and driver contracts will be put on the table for immediate review. That deal that Tony Stewart just signed to receive half of Haas-CNC Racing, so it can become Stewart-Haas Racing in 2009? There was GM Racing money involved in that deal, or it wouldn't have happened. But by participating in that deal, GM Racing also has set the table for its entire technical partnership fee structure with its NASCAR teams to be reviewed, given the company-wide mandate to take 20 percent out of its marketing/promotion/advertising budgets. The deal with GM Racing is this: The technical aspect of GM Racing reports up through engineering and GM Powertrain and has a budget assigned to it. But the actual serious money involved which supports these sponsorship deals and other programs comes out of GM Marketing. Last fall, GM signed Hendrick Motorsports, Richard Childress Racing and DEI, Inc. to contract extensions of varying lengths. The man at GM marketing who made those deals happen - Brent Dewar - a known NASCAR "friend" and cheerleader, has since been shipped off to Europe. Needless to say, there are people within GM marketing and the rest of the corporation who are clearly not happy with some of Dewar's decisions. Now, every single one of those decisions has been put on the table for review and discussion, with GM going back to the teams for "adjustments" to their contracts not out of the question. Look for those "adjustments" to translate into a percentage cutback to the direct payouts to the teams, and don't be be surprised if the low man team on the GM NASCAR totem pole is given its outright release with a cash buyout by the end of this year.

4. GM may stay in NASCAR - at least for now - but to what degree? All of these reductions in GM Racing's involvement in NASCAR begs the question, as in, if GM stays, to what degree will their involvement "cover" NASCAR? Keeping a presence in Craftsman Truck and maintaining a reduced presence in Sprint Cup may be all that's left for GM's NASCAR budget. GM will race where and when they see fit, but look for the Nationwide Series to become the odd man out when it comes to GM Racing's involvement. And if teams are given the choice to cut their programs in response to GM's demands, watch their Nationwide programs drop off the map too.

5. Corvette Racing caught in the crossfire? It appears that a direct result of the additional juice necessary to make the Tony Stewart deal happen is that Corvette Racing may take a big hit. One scenario already on the table is that Corvette's annual appearance at the 24 Hours of Le Mans might be in jeopardy, which would be a complete travesty because that one single race is the raison d'etre for the entire Corvette Racing program. The global image enhancement and benefits to GM, Chevrolet and the Corvette brand because of the success of Corvette Racing at that one race - the most prestigious endurance road racing event in the world - is almost incalculable. But it takes a lot of money to present a front line two-car GT effort at Le Mans, and it is rumored that 1/3 of Corvette Racing's annual budget is consumed at that one race. So that's why the discussion is on the table. It doesn't help that the internal NASCAR cheerleaders within GM (at least the few who are left) regularly dismiss Corvette Racing as an afterthought, but the reality of the situation is that Corvette racing's annual budget is approximately equal to a top one-car effort in NASCAR's Sprint Cup, so the arguments to decimate Corvette Racing fall flat in the Big Picture of things. As we like to say around here, this is a "developing" situation, and the next 60 days will determine Corvette racing's fate for 2009 and beyond.

There's a lot to contemplate in this column by any measure, but one thing is crystal clear: The days of NASCAR dictating to the manufacturers is clearly over. GM upper management has stated publicly that they will reduce the company's motorsports programs by at least 20 percent. And since NASCAR-related spending accounts for 90 percent of GM Racing's total annual budget - or between $120 and $140 million - the cuts are going to be deep, highly visible, and they will signal a fundamental change in one Detroit automobile company's historical relationship with NASCAR.

Oh and one more thing, if you think GM is the only Detroit manufacturer contemplating substantial or even radical cuts to their NASCAR programs, think again.

More news will unfold on this subject before the summer is out.

http://www.autoextremist.com/fumes1/

Re: Changes in racing

92 white 0650 said:
5. Corvette Racing caught in the crossfire? It appears that a direct result of the additional juice necessary to make the Tony Stewart deal happen is that Corvette Racing may take a big hit. One scenario already on the table is that Corvette's annual appearance at the 24 Hours of Le Mans might be in jeopardy, which would be a complete travesty because that one single race is the raison d'etre for the entire Corvette Racing program. The global image enhancement and benefits to GM, Chevrolet and the Corvette brand because of the success of Corvette Racing at that one race - the most prestigious endurance road racing event in the world - is almost incalculable. But it takes a lot of money to present a front line two-car GT effort at Le Mans, and it is rumored that 1/3 of Corvette Racing's annual budget is consumed at that one race. So that's why the discussion is on the table. It doesn't help that the internal NASCAR cheerleaders within GM (at least the few who are left) regularly dismiss Corvette Racing as an afterthought, but the reality of the situation is that Corvette racing's annual budget is approximately equal to a top one-car effort in NASCAR's Sprint Cup, so the arguments to decimate Corvette Racing fall flat in the Big Picture of things. As we like to say around here, this is a "developing" situation, and the next 60 days will determine Corvette racing's fate for 2009 and beyond.

I agree with this point of view and hope Corvette Racing doesn't get chopped back too much. It seems like the incremental value of Corvette Racing and racing in a different league would be much higher than having yet another NASCAR team.

Re: Going in the right direction?

It’s getting more interesting. A few random thoughts

1. Other than the sight of ugly bodywork, Sunday had the look of a typical Belle Isle CART race of old.
2. The old CC teams are getting up to speed now and helping to raise the bar for everyone. Gomers like Roth will soon be gone. :smile:
3. Helio lost his usual aplomb, :eek: although he was at least smiling when he essentially told Jack Arute to “GTFO of my face.” Although his block was understandable and not unlike those of old, the call was right; he should have given up the position. (And no, that wasn’t a goodbye gift to Paul Newman)
4. Dario’s coming back to team with Dixon; :cool: they will be the odds on favorite next year. Time for Roger to up his game and AGR to do some growing up.
5. Hiring Bryan Herta as a coach for the Vision team was a good call by the Idiot son FTG. The clueless kids (Ed Carpenter and AJ Foyt IV) are actually learning something about road courses and getting better overall. (Hmmmmm, they didn’t do something stupid last weekend did they? :confused:)
6. Turbo’s are coming back. :biggrin:
7. And the best thing: I haven’t seen hyde nor hair of Gene Simmons. :tongue:

I was at Infineon a week ago, not a very big turn out of racing fans. We did see a handful of fellow Champ car fans, cheering for Power and Wilson and Servia. It was good to see PT showing up at Edmenton he looked pretty smooth, he would really bring in more fans to the races. Good to Justin win his first IRL race, he has a good chance to win in Surfers too. But it won't count. Speaking of Surfers P. I don't see it on next years schedule, I thought they had a new contract with the IRL for at least 3 years?

Re: Going in the right direction?

It’s getting more interesting. A few random thoughts

3. Helio lost his usual aplomb, :eek: although he was at least smiling when he essentially told Jack Arute to “GTFO of my face.” Although his block was understandable and not unlike those of old, the call was right; he should have given up the position. (And no, that wasn’t a goodbye gift to Paul Newman):
It was nice to see a driver not whine about it, throw a couple of f bombs and blame the series. The old saying about not having something nice to say...
4. Dario’s coming back to team with Dixon; :cool: they will be the odds on favorite next year. Time for Roger to up his game and AGR to do some growing up.:
Will Emma and Ashley get along?
7. And the best thing: I haven’t seen hyde nor hair of Gene Simmons. :tongue:
No more true a statement has ever been made. The sad thing is A&E has more viewers on his show ("Family Jewels") than the IRL has normally during a race.

Next year will be better.:smile:

Miner

Re: A big hot steaming bowl of NOT GOOD

Besides having his well deserved sterling Penske image tarnished, Roger may have to find a sub for 4 out of country races over the next year. The Captain has good reason to be really pissed. :frown:

I'm sure there's not too much Roger can say except to offer legal help if he believes, as we desparately want to, that Helio made an honest mistake. But, Despain's show led us to believe this is huge and not something Helio can easily lay off to ignorance/naivete.

I heard what Miller said about it, Helio is no Miami drug dealer. I see it playing out at worst with a plea of "No Contest," he pays taxes and penalties and moves forward. If Helio wants to go to trial, the gov't will waste all the money they would have collected and he'd be found not guilty. Never underestimate the incompetence of civil servants, nor the ego of District Attorneys. If OJ could murder, Michael Jackson molest and both be found not guilty, no jury in the US would convict Helio of tax evastion. Even a despicable individual like Pete Rose almost got away with it.

Miner

Back