Investment Ideas

I have some money that is just sitting in the bank, and want to gain something more than the 5.25% APY that I am getting now. What are some of the investments that you guys are in. Real estate? Stocks? etc. I have a realistic outlook, so I am not looking for something that will double my money over night such as day trading, just produce solid returns.

I run a Real Estate Investment Firm here in CA and have SEVERAL ways for you to invest. We are in the process of buying several properties in Dallas, and have investors that also buy all over the country. If you are willing to be a hard money lender I could get you a profit of 15% + (sometimes up to 100% depending on the circumstances) in 60-90 days...

RobertCasper at CasperInvestments dot com

Last edited:
Believe it or not -- do a search. Subject has come up numerous times.

I certainly have my thoughts, in general, but the best advice BAR NONE is to talk to KNOWLEDGEABLE friends/family/trusted brokers about realistic investments. Not people on an internet chat forum. Also, 99.9% of the time, anything that is "out of the ordinary" or a "unique investment opportunity" is a bad bad idea. Stick to the basics. Stocks, mutual funds, bonds. K.I.S.S. wins in investment management without fail.

Ski banker is right, talk to someone qualified to give you advice. But whatever you do don't listen to that d!ckhead Jim Crammer........

John

The reason I asked here is because I consider most nsx owners to be successful, and for the most part trustworthy (older members that frequent this board). I'm just looking for ideas that worked for you guys.

ShiftyBob said:
I run a Real Estate Investment Firm here in CA and have SEVERAL ways for you to invest. We are in the process of buying several properties in Dallas, and have investors that also buy all over the country. If you are willing to be a hard money lender I could get you a profit of 15% + (sometimes up to 100% depending on the circumstances) in 60-90 days...

RobertCasper at CasperInvestments dot com

As someone who's registered with NASD, Id be putting the standard disclaimers at the bottom of that post, which suggests an outcome and suggests that you are a professional.

;)

BioBanker said:
As someone who's registered with NASD, Id be putting the standard disclaimers at the bottom of that post, which suggests an outcome and suggests that you are a professional.

;)

I understand where your going with that, but it takes more than a single post about rates in an "off-topic" thread on a Car enthusiast forum to hold any ground. Believe me, there is alot of paperwork to be had... Just giving a "generalization" and would never get into a serious discussion on a forum about return rates. I was just letting it be known that the option is out there...

The last person in the world I would give my money to is someone who is named "Shifty Bob". :biggrin: Is your partner named "Slick Willy"? :biggrin:

Invest in a Supercharger!

Don't worry Bob, when I was a First Officer, I flew a guy named Max Delay. People thought he was joking when his PA announcement was Capt. Max Delay - especially when we were running late. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Now if we had a Capt. Crunch - that would be funny!

CL65 Captain said:
Don't worry Bob, when I was a First Officer, I flew a guy named Max Delay. People thought he was joking when his PA announcement was Capt. Max Delay - especially when we were running late. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Now if we had a Capt. Crunch - that would be funny!

This is getting off topic, but... I don't take anything personally on the forums. The name actually derives from my habits on the track and has nothing to do with my character, but I find it funny.

Invest more time in your education...

I'm not saying that you should go back to school and get another graduate degree. I mean that you should become educated, one way or another, in investing.

One of the most important financial lessons we can learn is that it doesn't matter how much money you earn... what matters is how much your money earns for you.

Here is a good place to start:
http://www.amazon.com/Intelligent-Investor-Collins-Business-Essentials/dp/0060555661

Good luck dude! :biggrin:

FWIW, the U.S. stock market is on quite a roll. New all time highs on the Dow & S&P 500, 6 year high on Nasdaq today. Goldilocks economy it seems as oil prices fall, and now the elections are behind us. Large cap growth (particularly technology due to MS Vista upgrade cycle) stocks are finally seeing money flow in after several years of underperformance and undervaluation relative to any alternatives.

awsomr1 said:
I would recommand Land Banking in So. Cal.

You're kidding right??? Unless you are a professional developer, land is a stupid, non-income-producing-yet-carrying-costing-highly-speculative-investment. Might as well buy lumber, pork bellies, OJ, gold, 9' Christmas trees, shiny quartz gemstones, or Tickle-Me-Elmo dolls. Egads. :confused:

Ski_Banker said:
<snip>... Tickle-Me-Elmo dolls. <snip>
so, you're sayin' my retirement strategy isn't going to pay off?

dang, i hate when that happens.

oh, and... investment advice from "shifty bob"? uh huh, 'nuff said :rolleyes:

cl: liked the max delay story :)

Ski_Banker said:
You're kidding right??? Unless you are a professional developer, land is a stupid, non-income-producing-yet-carrying-costing-highly-speculative-investment. Might as well buy lumber, pork bellies, OJ, gold, 9' Christmas trees, shiny quartz gemstones, or Tickle-Me-Elmo dolls. Egads. :confused:

Each to their own, but I can tell you from experience, Land Banking is one of the best and safest investment around. When done correctly, you are looking @ 4-8 time of your original land value return in 3-6 years.

Won't work in every state, and won't work where the population does not grow steadily. That is why I said So. Cal. There are different studies done that shows Cal. population has been and still is growing @ 600k per year (36.6mil as we speak), and as available land to delvelope is less than 2%.

Not all land lot works and not always the cheapest is best either. That is why I said when done correctly, as to what is the motivation for this area's population growth, job increase, city projects, massive transit, etc.....

Those are factors to motivate local population growth, evertime a local area's population doubles, the land value in that area will grow 4X in average.

Basic rule of Supply (available land) and Demand (population growth).

queenlives said:
so, you're sayin' my retirement strategy isn't going to pay off?

dang, i hate when that happens.

cl: liked the max delay story :)

Actually TMX dolls are on a decline, but I bought 10 for $35 each and sold a couple for $115 (including shipping). I still have 7 of them left, just waiting to see if prices go back up, but they are still selling for more than double what I paid. One guy sold a lot of 100 for $22,000 a few weeks back. Not a bad short term investment :).

awsomr1 said:
Each to their own, but I can tell you from experience, Land Banking is one of the best and safest investment around. When done correctly, you are looking @ 4-8 time of your original land value return in 3-6 years.

Won't work in every state, and won't work where the population does not grow steadily. That is why I said So. Cal. There are different studies done that shows Cal. population has been and still is growing @ 600k per year (36.6mil as we speak), and as available land to delvelope is less than 2%.

Not all land lot works and not always the cheapest is best either. That is why I said when done correctly, as to what is the motivation for this area's population growth, job increase, city projects, massive transit, etc.....

Those are factors to motivate local population growth, evertime a local area's population doubles, the land value in that area will grow 4X in average.

Basic rule of Supply (available land) and Demand (population growth).

I might be mistaken, but I believe the OP was looking for a straightforward (and probably liquid) investment to earn a decent return. I glean from this that he is an inexperienced investor (not a judgement). Therefore, speculating on land is a remarkably bad idea. What would it take for him to successfully speculate on land? First, he'd have to learn basic, intermediate, advanced financial concepts (asset valuation). Second, he'd have to learn land/real estate finance and fundamental drivers. Third, he'd have to spend time locating suitable property and employ legal counsel. Finally, he'd have to successfully bid/negotiate a transaction while competing against professional developers and very experienced investors. Then he'd have to wait with his fingers crossed (not earning the 5% bank rate or paying interest on debt financing employed).

The problem with land is that it doesn't earn any income. You can sell options on large tracts to developers for income, but then your upside is capped.

Land doesn't go up in value due to population, per se, but due to aggregate income in an area. Why is a house worth $100k? Because people in that area earn X dollars and they have to live somewhere. Not *because* there are simply more people in that area. In fact, more people can deteriorate real estate values if the higher income citizens relocate due to overcrowding/other. That's how "inner cities" develop.

Another new high on the Dow, S&P, and Nasdaq today, BTW. :biggrin:

The concept of Land Banking is not to get in when the developers are getting in, get there before they do. You do not need to deal with the finances that you stated, you just need to deal with a company that specialize in Land Banking and does in house finance for you at a reasonalble rate. You can not finance Land Banking with traditional banking methods here in So. Cal.

I wish you are here so I can show you how Land Banking works here in So.Cal. One very important thing is that you are not developing the land you buy, that is for the developers, a land lot will grow up to 40X its value from farm land all the way to developed lots, it might take over 30 years to achive that, but with correct information we are just positioning ourselves somewhere along that 40X growth time frame to make some profit.

The idea of Land Banking is to treat each land lot you buy as a bank or savings account, but with a big end return instead of small monthly returns.

Like I said, it is not for everyone, and populations got everything to do with property value here in So. Cal, but income of the area not as greatly. Not definate, but here is an example. Rowland Heights, average household income $40K+/year, average residential home $325/ sq.ft. Rancho Cucamonga, avaerge household income $80+k/year, average residential homes $280/ sq.ft.

Anyways, good luck NSXTRA with what ever you decide. I'm just giving my $.02

queenlives said:

Care to compare retirement portfolio's? :biggrin:

Last edited:
awsomr1 said:
The concept of Land Banking is not to get in when the developers are getting in, get there before they do. You do not need to deal with the finances that you stated, you just need to deal with a company that specialize in Land Banking and does in house finance for you at a reasonalble rate. You can not finance Land Banking with traditional banking methods here in So. Cal.

I wish you are here so I can show you how Land Banking works here in So.Cal. One very important thing is that you are not developing the land you buy, that is for the developers, a land lot will grow up to 40X its value from farm land all the way to developed lots, it might take over 30 years to achive that, but with correct information we are just positioning ourselves somewhere along that 40X growth time frame to make some profit.

The idea of Land Banking is to treat each land lot you buy as a bank or savings account, but with a big end return instead of small monthly returns.

Like I said, it is not for everyone, and populations got everything to do with property value here in So. Cal, but income of the area not as greatly. Not definate, but here is an example. Rowland Heights, average household income $40K+/year, average residential home $325/ sq.ft. Rancho Cucamonga, avaerge household income $80+k/year, average residential homes $280/ sq.ft.

Anyways, good luck NSXTRA with what ever you decide. I'm just giving my $.02

Well, because I do not know the specifics of "land banking" and how it differs from any other form of land investment/speculation - I can't debate. Land and real estate in general has exploded in So Cal, so I'm not surprised that you or anyone else has made tremendous returns in recent years. However, two simple facts remain: 1. Real estate valuations are "high" due to 2. Everyone and their mothers playing the real estate game. It's difficult for me to believe that there are undervalued real estate assets anywhere in California because of 1 & 2.

Perfect time to quote pioneering economist Milton Friedman, who passed away today at 94.

"There's no such thing as a free lunch"

How 'bout that stock market?? New bull market highs again on the Dow, S&P and Nasdaq today. :biggrin:

Back