Interesting View on the Type R wing

Ballers will paint over the CF. I personally don't like the little patch of exposed CF look. The oem NSXR hood was dry CF. I wouldn't bother with hacking into a oem 2002.

I agree completely. I think the patch of carbon is fine if you are young and hang around the tuner crowd and talk about your carbon hood at meets. Otherwise, the hood looks 100% better just painted. I also REALLY don't get this "I haven't found a hood that fits well yet" thing. My hood fits PERFECT. I've been preaching this for years.

I agree completely. I think the patch of carbon is fine if you are young and hang around the tuner crowd and talk about your carbon hood at meets. Otherwise, the hood looks 100% better just painted. I also REALLY don't get this "I haven't found a hood that fits well yet" thing. My hood fits PERFECT. I've been preaching this for years.

+1 re keeping the hood body colour

Last edited:
I would personally also NOT paint the canopy black on an 02+ car. Leave it alone. I still am not even sure I really like the einke's better than then OEM wheel. At least it's similar but you gave up a forged wheel for a heavier cast one that is not so unique. The 02 NSX wheel is an 02 NSX wheel of which a few hundred were even made. You won't see it on a Mazda.

I'd have taken that money that went into the wheels and put it into something else..

Don't get mad at me now for these comments I am just voicing an opinion, I realize tastes differ. :wink:

Last edited:
DSC_0411.JPG

I did the NA1 DF Type R hood without the Type R wing. While I'd never dispute what Mother Honda designs and implements, I've never really taken a liking to the Type R wing... It's pretty "in your face" but it's also the the only wing I'd personally put on if I were to put one on.

I've seen some painted ones to match the car color and it's brutal looking... Leave it black or smoked black.

The Type R wing is still the single highest producing downforce part for the NSX. The hood on it's own doesn't even come close. However, with all the supporting under trays, it's pretty close.

Lookwise, the 2 go together nicely. I opted to just do the NA1 hood and it seems to be pretty good. I'd never leave CF exposed on the topside. Underneath however, I painted it like the Type R and will be putting back the OEM underhood stickers!

Last edited:
I would personally also NOT paint the canopy black on an 02+ car. Leave it alone. I still am not even sure I really like the einke's better than then OEM wheel. At least it's similar but you gave up a forged wheel for a heavier cast one that is not so unique. The 02 NSX wheel is an 02 NSX wheel of which a few hundred were even made. You won't see it on a Mazda.

I'd have taken that money that went into the wheels and put it into something else..

Don't get mad at me now for these comments I am just voicing an opinion, I realize tastes differ. :wink:

Tell you the truth I wanted a staggered set that looked similar, wasn't significantly more in weight and darker which is what I got. Give a couple years and like in the past and shoes that go on a feet there will likely be a different set of wheels on the car :D..... Waste of cash... Maybe... Depends on the person spending the cash:rolleyes:

As far as painting the canopy I likely won't as I can put that money elsewhere. The r-hood will likely be painted to match the body but the wing and definitely the diffuser will not be painted.

Back