Interesting human experiment

I guess this is why "time flies":

Violin.jpg

Washington, DC Metro Station on a cold January morning in 2007. The man with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes.. During that time approx. 2 thousand people went through the station, most of them on their way to work. After 3 minutes a middle aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried to meet his schedule.

4 minutes later: the violinist received his first dollar: a woman threw the money in the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk..

6 minutes: A young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at his watch and started to walk again.

10 minutes: A 3-year old boy stopped but his mother tugged him along hurriedly. The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. Every parent, without exception, forced their children to move on quickly.

45 minutes: The musician played continuously. Only 6 people stopped and listened for a short while. About 20 gave money but continued to walk at their normal pace. The man collected a total of $32.

1 hour: He finished playing and silence took over. No one noticed. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. Two days before Joshua Bell sold out a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100. This is a true story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and people's priorities. The questions raised: in a common place environment at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context? One possible conclusion reached from this experiment could be this: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made.... How many other things are we missing?

Last edited:
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Washington, DC subway - if he had been mugged and the Strat stolen it would have been the THIRD time in it's history that particular violin had been stolen. :rolleyes:

While it's interesting it doesn't surprise me. I am sure the same revelation would be had with many a different performer.

People generally want to be entertained on their schedule not someone elses.

When it comes to instrumental music, people generally have a very limited attention span. Instrumental ability such as speed and dexterity is a novelty to the non musician which will wear off quickly. I'm assuming this guy was playing in a noisy train station w/ an unamplified instrument. Americans in general seem to like music that is vocal heavy w/ simplistic structure. IMO a classical instrument playing in this kind of setting would not get that much attention anyway, regardless of the pedigree of player or instrument. Look at Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton......instrument masters whose careers would be very limited if they didn't sing or write commercial songs. Americans are always in a rush...when we have time to listen to music...we want to relax or cut loose or be reminded of a romantic situation....

People in a hurry who are on there way cannot be expected to STOP what they are doing to listen to a street performer. It is a far cry from planning on a musical event for the sheer pleasure of enjoyment.

I would of watched, I watch the 2 stray cats, orange and gray run around my house around 3pm, and the chipmunk that lives under my stairs going to the front door as well as the pigens that come in to eat the seeds in my driveway. Or the squirrel that always sits on top of my neighbors house and eats nuts around 10am ... lol

It's not that I don't have a life, I just like to do nothing and stare outside a hour or two a day :)

I'd stop and watch "two girls one cup" if that was happening in the subway at that time......eeewwwwwwww:tongue:

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hnOPu0_YWhw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hnOPu0_YWhw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="480"></embed></object>

.. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. ....

If this was true.... it was dumb since someone could have damaged it during a violent social interaction event........... ie- mugging.

I checked it out on Snopes.com. Seems to be true. Cool story!

In addition, the youtube video above is supposedly actual footage of the experiment sponsored and posted by the Washington Post.

You would guess/hope that as part of the staging that they would also have some forethought (maybe even req'd insurance) and provide some pretty ample security in the event there was a problem opposed to just saying on a whim one day, "hey, I've gotta an idea...let's go play at the train station!"

But then again...this is journalism...not the most responsible bunch in many regards.

Excellent performance! I heard this story a while back and it was told that one person did recognize the guy from the prior nights show. I think their conclusion is wrong. It's not that people can't stop to see beauty everything can be considered beautiful. That experiment is botched and more of a prank as the subject has a very small audience anyways. Anyways most things are not considered worthy unless it's marketed to them and they are told it's good or better than the other or it has some kind of measurable use.

Last edited:
I would hope that if I came across a performer of his caliber at the Metro that I'd have the presence of mind to stop and listen for a while.

But I'm not sure that would be the case.

...heard this story a while back and it was told that one person did recognize the guy from the prior nights show...

sounds like the story is correct...towards the end of the video, there is a woman with enough "presence of mind" to stop and enjoy as much of this anomalous event as possible. Upon the conclusion of his performance, she walks up to him and said...

"I saw you at the Library of Congress (maybe says "last night")...it was fantastic (pause) this is one of those things that can only happen in D.C."

"Thanks" he replies.

Whoever this plastic-bag-carrying lady is...she undoubtedly knows her maestros when she sees/hears them.

...most things are not considered worthy unless it's marketed to them and they are told it's good or better than the other or it has some kind of measurable use.

very true...perception is reality (in day to day practical terms)

and in this case, the perception intentionally fabricated was that of...

street performer

vs.

american grammy award-winning violinist

I don't think this experiment really says a lot. People don't appreciate good violinists. My GF's best friend, a gay dude, is one of the best violinists in his country and he came here and played one night with a band in front of a bunch of people at a restaurant. No one even noticed him or cared about his play.

Now the other day, I went to Main St. in Huntington Beach and saw this dude beating on some buckets and the sidewalk with some drumsticks. People swarmed him and gave him quite a bit of cash. Then I went to the UCLA SDSU football game a few weeks ago and my GF recognized him from HB. We drove from Pasadena to Huntington Beach to have some drinks and saw him there again with a big crowd around him. I gave him 5 bucks and told him I saw him at the Rose Bowl earlier.

If it had been someone being interviewed by CNN or a babe in a bikini, I wonder how many would have stopped to enjoy, even with the rush hour?
Like the man said: How many other things are we missing? :frown:

Back