Intercooler'd Comptech Supercharger...atlast

well, after months of reading on NSX prime, i finally have reason to register and post! Stopping by Stage 6 Motorsports here in jacksonville, every once in awhile to visit the guys there, i spotted a bright red NSX and asked what it was in for. To my surprise, they were building an intercooler setup for a 96 comptech supercharged NSX. something i had heard that was very near impossible to do.

Mase (the legendary tuner) was nice enough to tell me a bit about this thing and let me take a few snap shots. From what he said, him and dwight (the mastermind fabricator) were able to construct an air to water setup without adding height to the over all setup. which was very hard to do.

I believe they were about to begin the testing phase, as the one i saw was the first prototype. And boy it was a masterpiece, the whole intake manifold hand made. makes me want to camp out there until they get that bad boy on the dyno for some numbers

none the less, i figured id share a few pics, and hopefully once its all said and done, i can get mase to post some final numbers specs.

1-71-77888-l-rOAJzyYzbxQ5033wROhMQ.jpg

1-71-77889-l-uLBXAb6QctdeC2nZ2VtA.jpg

Last edited:
+3

Well it has been done before... http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67650... but this is the first one I have seen with no height increase.
What I have found after completing mine is that the 1.6L Whipple is only good for about 9.3lbs of boost at 3000rpm falling to 8.4lbs of boost at 8000rpm on the 3.2L motor. There is obviously some pressure drop across the cooler especially with the lack of plenum space. I am running a 2.9 inch pulley which puts the blower pretty close to redline at the engine redline. I have not tracked it yet but my temps are running about 40 degrees over ambient.
I was having some belt slip and the idler pulley solved this. I have not done a re-dyno but it is a blast from 2000 to 6000 rpm and very good to 8000.

The 3.0 motor might be even better and their set up might flow better.

Very glad to see a tuner shop ring out this set up. Maybe more knowledge can come out.

In for the mix!!!

Nice looking manifold, quite the labor of love would be my guess!

Post those number!!! Include the heat soaked intake temps.

Hello all,

I was waiting to post some info until I got some hard data. I’ve had several emails and calls regarding this thread and the rumor we were working on an intercooler setup for the comptech SC setup.

This is all true. We have just completed a prototype liquid/air intercooler setup that works without raising the overall height of the setup shown in the pictures above.

The preliminary test results were very impressive. The test bed made as much as 28 whp peak over the initial non intercooled setup, running 1 psi less boost (cooler air and the charge pressure actually dropped 1 psi). With making more power/torque throughout the entire powerband.

The Intake Temperatures average 40-50 degrees less in the runs we did so far. the highest IATs we saw w/ the intercooler setup were no higher than 140. and that was after we did 5 back to back passes. they average probably around 130ish directly after the run, and with partial throttle around 100 degrees. versus without the intercooler, we were seeing 180's directly after a run

I will provide more information as I get some time, along with dyno plots/datalogs.

Stay tuned. And thanks for everyones interest thus far.

Regards,
Mase
Stage 6 Motorsports

Last edited:
Mase, are you developing this only for the old whipple or the new Autorotor? My other question is, will this work with Comptechs management solution or must this now be used with an aftermarket AEM or HKS engine management?

Any plans for a higher boost pulley? There is none for the autorotor. I am assuming with things running that much cooler this may be the next step.

If this is for the autorotor you may have quite a few customers for this so long as the price is reasonable.

If this is for the autorotor you may have quite a few customers for this so long as the price is reasonable.

Reasonable? Like there is a much of a choice. When you need another rock in the pipe you pay because you need more.:biggrin:

Reasonable? Like there is a much of a choice. When you need another rock in the pipe you pay because you need more.:biggrin:

Yeah thanks for letting the dealer know.

OMG you are cheap...if you think the only option is too much, i guess you where never the customer anyway huh....

Attention: sense of humor has left the building....

Dude, I was joking with Pbassjo. There are probably a lot of words you can describe me by when it comes to spending money on the NSX, (crazy and stupid come to mind) but "cheap" is probably not one of them. In any event, you don't really know me, I think your reply is a bit thoughtless.

Last edited:
I wonder if Stage 6 would be willing to create their own version of a Whipple/Autorotor based SC for the NSX. A little healthy competition with CompTech and others would be good for the market and our cars. From looking at what they did to that GT-40, I would bet they could produce something pretty amazing.<O:p</O:p

Last edited:
I am also interested in info regarding the size of the front-mounted heat exchanger - this size seems ideal for what I am after with my turbo kit... I had been getting ready to purchase the ford cobra upgrade heat exchanger from summit (fluidyne unit), but this one seems slightly less wide?

Mase...blah...blah...blah...

Mase? From Honda-Tech? No way, 'bout time you did something w/ an NSX. Congrats on the numbers and welcome to the community.:wink:

Any pics of the intake manifold as a seperate piece?

Attention: sense of humor has left the building....

Dude, I was joking with Pbassjo. There are probably a lot of words you can describe me by when it comes to spending money on the NSX, (crazy and stupid come to mind) but "cheap" is probably not one of them. In any event, you don't really know me, I think your reply is a bit thoughtless.

A wise man once said, "90% of joking made comments are true comments."

Think about that next time. I know I did and found it to be very true with a lot of my joking made comments. Let that marinade on the mind a little. :smile:

J. R.

A wise man once said, "90% of joking made comments are true comments."

Think about that next time. I know I did and found it to be very true with a lot of my joking made comments. Let that marinade on the mind a little. :smile:

J. R.

Jesus was my joke totally lost? When I said "thanks for letting the dealer know", I was talking about pbjasso and I needing another rock in our crack pipe, and I said "thanks for letting the dealer (as in drug dealer) know (as in know of our addiction)". That to me is funny. God knows I am probably going to be the first one to dump a ton of money into an intercooler system I don't really need.

Jesus was my joke totally lost? When I said "thanks for letting the dealer know", I was talking about pbjasso and I needing another rock in our crack pipe, and I said "thanks for letting the dealer (as in drug dealer) know (as in know of our addiction)". That to me is funny. God knows I am probably going to be the first one to dump a ton of money into an intercooler system I don't really need.

Hey now don't start taking it out on jesus. I was mearly giving some food for thought comment. :smile:

J. R.

I am also interested in info regarding the size of the front-mounted heat exchanger - this size seems ideal for what I am after with my turbo kit... I had been getting ready to purchase the ford cobra upgrade heat exchanger from summit (fluidyne unit), but this one seems slightly less wide?

This one keeps mine below 115
heat_exchanger_low.JPG
http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/heat_exchanger_low.JPG
F
showphoto.php

Last edited:
Back