Insurance question...seems outrageous

I called my families insurance company and asked for a quote on a 91 nsx for my 55 year old perfect record father. They said it was on a do not insure list but said they would have to insure him. So I went along with it and asked how much and they told me 1,550 annually. Is this just bogus insurance company?

It seems somewhat high, but it depends on where he lives - city and state - and what coverages were specified. It's also possible that this particular company has very high rates for their "do not insure" cars. If you shop around, you can probably do better. Have you tried Insweb?

have you tried some other insurance company? don't rely on one source...

TomR, What company are you using and is the premium under $1K or the deductable? Thanks, Gil

you're lucky, I plan on getting an 01 soon and got quoted at $3500 - $4000 for six months. Since I'm 19 I expected it to be high, but this is obsered!! And that's with a multi line too.

i am 19 also
putting it under my dads name to save money and they wont put it under different company so i guess im stuck with it

I want to put it under my dad's name too, but he's threatening to kick me out if I buy it.
So' I'm going rent a storage space near by and hide it from him :)

$3500 for insurance...that is crazy. I think I am only $300 every six months. I barely break $1000 for all three of my cars.

TomR1999 said:
i am 19 also
putting it under my dads name to save money and they wont put it under different company so i guess im stuck with it
If you're living with your father, that's fine. If you're not, then I would strongly advise you to get your own policy. Otherwise, if there is a claim and they find out that it's your car and not your dad's, they can deny your claim.

It is usually a very good idea to tell the truth to your insurance company...

19 years old with an NSX? Wow, it must give you a wonderful feeling to get a dream car at such a tender age, congrats!!!

I hate to sound like a parent, but if you do get the NSX (Dan and Tom) regardless of the parking and insurance arrangements, respectively, ;) please be very careful! If I had an NSX at 19 (I'm 30 now), I would have likely totalled it and/or killed myself with my lead foot, feelings of invincibility, and delusions of my non-existent driving abilities. I am not saying that any of these traits apply to you guys, I just want you to enjoy your supercars for many decades to come!

Jay
91 silver/ivory
89 accord
73 roadrunner

I currenty own a 01 prelude for a couple years now and I have passed that age of maturity of doing stupid stuff which may total the car and kill people including me.

I live with my parents still and his name is on the prelude right now and it got hit in parking lot before and we had no problems.

94 NSX Full Coverage with a $500.00 deductible. $600.00 for the year (which is 8 months of driving and 4 months of storage). I am single 27 years old and it is part of a multiple car policy, clean record (no tkts or accidents). The other car is an 89 Vtec CRX 12 months of full coverage is $450.00 total!

I guess SOMETHING is good about living in Indiana other than being close to some great races and no traffic :D
Aaron

TomR1999 said:
i am 19 also

If you register a car under a parent/spouse/or anyone else's name, just be aware that you are exposing another person to personal liability if you get into an accident. For example, if you try to save money by registering the car in your father's name and then you cause an accident, in most (if not all) states your father will be liable as well. In the event that there is not enough insurance coverage, your father's personal assets will be exposed in addition to your own.

Bob

I will be putting it under my name, I just wanted to save alot of money by putting it under his, but when I asked him he said no and told not not to buy one.
I think you just misunderstood, without his permission I wouldn't take a chance putting it under his name

what about miles?

a lot depends on the miles you driver per year. at least what u tell the insurance company.

so what is the estimated miles per year for the coverages you guys are getting.

RSO 34 said:
If you register a car under a parent/spouse/or anyone else's name, just be aware that you are exposing another person to personal liability if you get into an accident. For example, if you try to save money by registering the car in your father's name and then you cause an accident, in most (if not all) states your father will be liable as well. In the event that there is not enough insurance coverage, your father's personal assets will be exposed in addition to your own.

Bob

This is a fact that my mother knew and the reason I paid 3k a year to insure my first car. Maybe it was all the rubber I laid down in the road out front of the house or maybe the numerous crashing of motorcycles and go carts that helped her decide this.

FWIW, I was just talking to my insurance company on another matter and asked them what it would cost for full coverage on a hypothetical '94 in central Denver [a rather costly insurance area.] I was amazed to find out it was $720/year as a second vehicle with under 5000 miles/year.

I would like to investigate the company that does speciality cars only and only as 'additional' cars. An additional car is at least one over the number of licensed drivers in a household.

However, since both my wife and I live about a mile from our respective offices, we always walk. As a result I sold my GSR (since I rarely drove it and it was costing about $700 a year to insure) over a year ago. The NSX therefore won't trip the proper number of cars. Oh well, it's not a perfect world I would MUCH rather spend that kind of money on an NSX rather than a GSR:D

Back