Insurance for HPDE events

Traditional coverage is written as 'event based'. If you are in a race, or competition event you have no coverage with your insurance. If the event is for the purpose of education, does not allow timing or competition then you are covered.

The new wording is 'venue based'. If the location can be used for competition then you have no coverage. This is what Allstate has done.

State Farm is still working on the 'event based' coverage.

My understanding is there is a fuzzy line that, onced crossed, waivers (even if they address it in their language) generally do not apply. They're not a license to be stupid or neglegent without consequence. I'm quite certain the presence of a waiver signed by everyone would not even begin to shield me from liability if, at a HPDE, I intentionally rammed all of the cars there. The fuzzy line is somewhere between that and a one-car accident in your own car without passenger (nobody else is liable for your car except you...and maybe your insurance company if covered by policy).

The waiver, IMO, does more to prevent stupid lawsuits like "they shouldn't have let me on the track with my experience, I hurt my car/self, they should pay."
All very true and very accurate. For example, if you read the news stories about the fatal Carrera GT incident (see links in my post #24 above), you'll see that the grounds for the lawsuit were that there were certain unsafe practices that constitute negligence on the part of various defendants, negligence that could not have been foreseen by signers of the waivers. Whether or not their claim is upheld has yet to be determined, AFAIK.

It's also worth pointing out that cases are not always settled based strictly on the legal issues, either in negotiations with the insurance companies or, if a mutual resolution is not reached there, in subsequent litigation. A sympathetic defendant (e.g. one who has suffered horrible injuries) and/or a proficient attorney (on either side of a claim) can be more important than legal technicalities in reaching a favorable verdict, particularly in a jury trial. Like it or not, that's the way the system works.

Re: How about this one?

Found this peculiar tidbit on another forum. This was mentioned in the context of low budget one-car IRL teams buying insurance. Maybe someone who quotes scripture would like to call and get a quote just for our collective database.

Sorry if anyone has posted this info already.

I'm attending and HPDE event at Mid-Ohio next week. I use State Farm and a couple months ago I started inquiring about coverage for a Driving School. After about 10 phone calls to my agent, I finally got them to send me a letter specifically stating that accidents during the Driving School will be covered in my normal policy and is not in the exclusions. I even sent them a link to the NASA site.

So, check with State Farm.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Care to post up a copy of this letter (omitting private information, of course)?

My State Farm policy specifically states that I will not have insurance ... no comp, no collision, no liability, if the car is used on private tracks or at a site intended for racing type driving.

I don't have the actual language handy, but it wasn't good.

Matt, here you go....

I hope this helps everyone.

Attachments

• State Farm Letter for Driving School.jpg
    State Farm Letter for Driving School.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 83
  • State Farm Policy Section 4 Physical Damage Coverage.jpg
    State Farm Policy Section 4 Physical Damage Coverage.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 101
Thanks for posting Mike

I am like PaulL in that my State Farm policy has the wording to where I am no longer covered in any track-type activity. Of course, this will not hinder me in going. I will just be 100 times more careful and not push myself too much.

Matt, here you go....

I hope this helps everyone.

I wouldn't take this letter as the end-all-be-all, unfortunately. Consult an attorney, but my reading is that this letter simply affirms your policy as not having a defined exclusion for "Drivers School" (which you already know). You should get them to revise the letter to state something like "[ ] will provide full coverage for insured in the event of damage occurred during instruction in a professional driver school event" or something like that. Seriously.

My understanding of insurance law is that unless it is explicitly excluded, it is covered. Because you pay upfront and seek a claim later, anything that is grey, or arguable, ends up falling under "covered".

But Im not an attorney so assume that I am not correct :)

We mentioned Laurel earlier in this thread, didn't we?

Well, their web site is gone now;
www.laurelde.com

Looks like it is back up now.

Ted, I should probably have spoken up sooner. There is a lot of chatter on a lot of forums, but few facts. IMHO the only people with anything relevant to say are those whom are actively involved in motorsports and have had a covered incident.

I've actually spoken with a few key racers and team managers whom have earned my respect, and actually Peter Sereda at Laurel comes very highly recommended. The word is that the GA/ICO issue may soon be resolved.

If it is any assurance- Don Kitch, founder of Team Seattle insures his Rolex GT3 cup cars through them. We go back aways, and he has directly told me that his first hand experience is that he has never had a problem on a claim with Peter over the last few years. Granted, I know for a fact that just his team's weekend race premiums are about equal to our budgets for an entire season if not more- but it is a valid and rather inspiring data point for the lowly DE or SCCA programs I would hope.

While I would stop short of giving a personal referral- I am aware of only a handful of games in town this season, and SW, DE are likely the most promising alternatives for those that want actual coverage as opposed to wishful thinking from an agent. In all cases, due to the added significant annual expense of such specialty coverage- casual attendees will more likely than not remain side lined; dealing with their generalist policy exclusions for the time being.

I used to have Nationwide because they would cover you in an HPDE. Then they announced they weren't going to do that and my agent told me (wrongly, it turned out) that they wouldn't cover me at all, anywhere if I particiapted. I took them at their word and switched to State Farm, saving a lot of money in the process.

I had LaurelDE for one season when I knew I was doing a lot of events. The problem was they only sold coverage in multiples of 5 or 6 days, which wasn't too great if you only planned to do, say, 7. Anyhow, I only did it for one year.

I suppose it is possible, but I can't imagine somebody getting killed or even seriously injured in a well-run HPDE event. I have seen cars have to be towed or flat-bedded, but that is usually because somebody did something stupid, either to themself or to somebody else. But I think it would take a lot to hurt yourself seriously.

I did sustain some serious body damage at one event which wasn't really well run. That was my fault for going there. The driver of the car that hit me wanted to treat it like something on the highway. I wish; it costs a lot to repair an NSX. However, the waiver was very clear. Everybody was responsible for themself. That won't prevent somebody from suing, but it could make it pertty tough to win.

One of the things that helps keep things under control for me is I drive my car to the track, so I have to drive it home.

Re: A theoretical question

Ted, I should probably have spoken up sooner. There is a lot of chatter on a lot of forums, but few facts. IMHO the only people with anything relevant to say are those whom are actively involved in motorsports and have had a covered incident.
John you're absolutely right about a lot of chatter (BS) on forums, but I'm not sure what you're saying here. Is the chatter on this forum any better than the others? Trackpedia, being all about tracking, appears to me to be a little more hardcore than Prime and has attracted posts from actual providers.

John you're absolutely right about a lot of chatter (BS) on forums, but I'm not sure what you're saying here. Is the chatter on this forum any better than the others? Trackpedia, being all about tracking, appears to me to be a little more hardcore than Prime and has attracted posts from actual providers.

Ted, It seems like a good site, I really liked the idea and I regularly use it for reference on track stats.

On the insurance thing... Ok, for one I think the core problem across all the sites that leads to the most confusion is that providers underwrite different policies in different states. Simply because State Farm covered a DE accident in one state for one policy holder for a specific incident most definitely doesn't mean the same might apply for another policy holder in another state under another set of circumstances.

So, the common question "Does X provider exclude coverage for..." seems irrelevant to me. A better question might be "Has X provider in X state ever paid out on a track claim in the past, what was the disposition, and have they since adjusted their policies". In many situations it could well come down to a specific interpretation of events as you are essentially asking them to make the call on something that is already on a grey line like the definition of "preparation for racing" which is right up there with "PC load Letter".

Two, people often don't talk about payouts and other such things on the internet as it is a private personal matter and generally a bad idea nor in their best interest. There is no public clearing house for data so anyone can make up anything they want without challenge.

In the end... neither of those points lends itself well to disseminating good information to driving enthusiasts that are just looking for the bottom line here. Do they have coverage or not and to what extent? I don't know about the rest of you but I don't care what some guy on a forum says is covered, I want it in highly explicit writing. That's how business gets done.

More discussion

I read more up on that thread, still, going in circles like every other one. Especially for novices that just want to have a good time at their first track day with their sexy new automobile... I feel there is very little good info there on these types of threads.

Not to get too long on the tooth here... but for those whom are seeking track coverage I say pick your poison... talk it up however you want there are only a handful of options:

Generalist Auto Insurance:

Hoping for a little track coverage from your local friendly agent because the words "timed" or "racing facilities" is missing from their exclusion list? I think it is a high calculated risk on a higher dollar car. Learn your lessons or take the blue bill, and know that sometimes it is bitter to swallow.

IMHO customer loyalty / satisfaction is long dead in America here. People buy expensive street cars often with 500+ rwhp that they can't handle, then they want cheap car insurance, and companies happily line up to give it to them with few checks. They buy crappy "actual cash value" policies with bare state minimum limits because a cute talking lizard told them they could save some money on their car insurance- not because they really wanted the best coverage and hired a lawyer to compare all the available legalese among available policies from providers in their state. Not because they checked civil records in superior court for recent successful law suites or denied claims. Even minor civil fender bender incidents can see north of a half a mil rewarded... think you really have sufficient coverage without an umbrella racing around because you signed a disclaimer on the way in the door? Find me a top tier pro racing team (a business) that operates like that... none.

Sure, club sports car and HPDE enthusiasts often tend to think of themselves as being more savvy consumers, and sure they read every last line of their policies... but it's still difficult to relevantly compare coverages let alone internal policies between the lines for a licensed agent at the office let alone at home in your kitchen.

There is a lot of consolidation in the last few years in the industry. The traditional role of agents has been changing. As a consumer, one of my long standing bitches to the office of the insurance commissioner has been to try and get an insurer to send you an actual copy of a policy for your state without first binding coverage with them. Call around and ask about faxing over explicit exclusions from generalist providers and you'll get a lot of unreturned calls or ambiguous responses from CR reps that truly have no idea what they are talking about, often not even being licensed. How is a modern savvy customer supposed to compare providers if that tactic is to become widely pervasive? How do you know what you are really paying for or if you are comparing apples to apples? Go check out all the top tier provider sites and find me policy wording on their web sites for the states in which they are licensed to sell- all they want to talk about is rates and their 24/7 phone line. Claims? Yeah, that's another phone number. This is fast becoming a new hot topic with many lawmakers.

Ask anyone in the industry, a Katrina or Andrews victim, etc... and they will be the first to tell you not all auto policies are created equal on any number of points. Policies toward DE days, under-age drivers, catastrophic events, aftermarket equipment, coverage while trailering, coverage for expensive bikes while racked, replacement parts, what percentage is "totaled", definitions for "replacement value", "equivalent replacement parts", "modifications", etc... all vary and people need to understand what they are paying for versus what coverage they are actually receiving- in advance.

To make it more difficult to compare two generalist providers... policies can be amended anytime a client renews. The trend thus has been that the duration keeps getting shorter, often as little as 4 or 6 months as they want to be more 'agile'. Their is nothing that has curtailed the industry from using inaccurate Choice Point data or imposing credit checks and other questionable practices. Their is a lot of industry hot terms like "underwriting accountability" and as such the days of friendly helpful agents are fast coming to an end- "friendly agent" right... the 800 CR reps are watching their own back....

Think they always play by the rules? Pick-up the phone. In theory you pay per vehicular coverage yet the first question they ask anymore is if their are any underage drivers in your household and what their social security number is. Regardless if they have their own license and/or coverage they can still jack up your rates or flat out deny you coverage and then use something unrelated as the formal explanation. They are limited to a three year driving abstract but their first question is if you've had any tickets in five or ten years while they hand out free lasers to ticket you with...

Again, I've read all the chatter. Take my post as a reality check.

Personally, I highly doubt it would matter if you were a paying holder in good standing for 25 years... the goal for large corporate generalist providers in an economy of scale is to minimize payouts. Period. You stuff a six figure plus sports car with your car club "untimed advanced open lapping" or not and I feel pretty confident that if there is a way out under the policy wording rest assured they will find it; and if they can't because they dropped the ball on their policy wording then they will next time if it starts to become a problem for them.

This is to say nothing about medical, which any of the doctors on nsxprime will tell you to don't always count on them for that extra cat scan.

Specialty Track Insurance.

Track insurance has a lot of advantages as I mentioned in my earlier post for the basic problem... coverage of expensive hardware. This is where I steer those newbies without the confidence whom are really worried about piece of mind.

I think the advantage with the track insurance is that it is very clear on its specialty intent with highly explicit written coverage.. which is loads better over wishful thinking with the generalists. It is insurance from club guys to club guys. The owners are often veteran drivers instead of paranoid wussies and thus actually understand club motor-sports and what risks are actually being assumed- as opposed to blowing things way out of proportion making DE days with limited passing more than they are or calling it "racing". They have a reputation in a small circle, which is their check and balance. They understand that the reality is that most events go without a hitch, and believe me if the sponsoring club has to write too much paperwork national will be asking the organizers questions.

Further, they are all "stated value" or the better "agreed value" policies which is best for all parties in the event of a claim. Hopefully, going forward more of these will arise as club motor-sports gains in popularity. Maybe you could just show them your 'S' license and be good to go, who knows. :)

Your insurance

This is the best option IMHO. What needs to be said? Track what you can afford. Yes, that might be a race prepped dodge neon but that doesn't mean it has to be slow.

Conclusions...

Bottom line... the way I see it, is "auto insurance", "track insurance", "your insurance", or otherwise- you still have to dial it down one notch so as to keep it sunny side up. If you can't do that and need to go 11/10ths dive bombing fender to fender or think you are some invincible bad ass driver then you really need to buy something you can afford to field and repair on your own dime (or whore yourself out to 50 fat chicks or whatever you have to do to go fast). :biggrin:

In the end, insurance is like everything else in life, you only get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Personally, I highly doubt it would matter if you were a paying holder in good standing for 25 years...
It's possible that might not make a difference to the corporate offices. But if you have an agent in your neighborhood who is willing to intercede in claims disputes, he's going to be more likely to do so on behalf of someone whose commissions he's been collecting for 25 years. And he's more likely to do so if he has a reputation for going to bat on behalf of his customers in such situations.

Bottom line... the way I see it, is "auto insurance", "track insurance", "your insurance", or otherwise- you still have to dial it down one notch so as to keep it sunny side up. If you can't do that and need to go 11/10ths dive bombing fender to fender or think you are some invincible bad ass driver then you really need to buy something you can afford to field and repair on your own dime
iagree.gif

Back