Info on VIN JH4NA21694S000007 04 Red/Tan

I saw this online and wonder if it's a good car to buy. the person said the car is perfect. tb/wp, everything was just done, record to proof. please let me know.

thanks

lamchop168

Thanks, I know it sounds like a good deal but that's what also worries me too. Anyone in the Burbank, CA area would like to check the car out first? I hate to even start PPI, etc when this car don't even exist. I'm from NY so it's a trip for me to go myself. Anyone, please.

Thanks, I know it sounds like a good deal but that's what also worries me too. Anyone in the Burbank, CA area would like to check the car out first? I hate to even start PPI, etc when this car don't even exist. I'm from NY so it's a trip for me to go myself. Anyone, please.

The place shows on Google Street view... looks like a garage where they store inventory that they sell on the Internet.
They have Yelp and Google reviews, appears to be legit on the surface.

Thanks redwing, anyone can stop by and take a look,at the car?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone can refer a good place for a PPI in Burbank, CA?

Yes and I really would like to get someone to recommend a PPI place near Burbank, CA, anyone please?

- - - Updated - - -

Just spoke to the lady last night and she send me the carfax, as per the carfax, the car is clean, 3 owners, no accidents, engine and title is clear. She said they just did all the maintenance and tb/wp, belts, new tires. So this sounds like a very clean car and is my first choice. I will really need to get a PPI done quickly and move in on this car. Thanks for everyone's help, now all I need is a reputable place to do my PPI.

Yes, I think that's what I'm going to do. Thanks

Can anyone do a vin check on this, please?

Good luck in your NSX search!

But you must do your own homework.
And downstroke, whilst you complete your homework.

Maybe try posting in the "regional message forums" section for that area (southwest, socal) and use a title like "anyone in the area able to check out a car in burbank" I always try to help out-of-towners look at cars and I'm sure someone could do it for you.

Mats are wrong and the speaker covers are wrong...They should be tan. Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but as an owner of a 2004 red/tan I would be suspect.

Thanks everyone. I tried to do the research as much as possible, like searching the vin, calling the seller, etc but didn't find anything and that's why I'm here to ask. If there is something I'm doing wrong, tell me so I do it right. Many have helped tremendously and I would do the same for them. Sorry if I did anything wrong but this is my first time buying a NSX and going thru this ordeal. For those who had helped, thank you so much. For those who's not, please keep your comments to yourself. This forum is for sharing knowledge, help and ask help from or to others and bottom line, have fun doing it.

Angus and brigglass, will definitely post that and get some answers to why the speaker cover is wrong color, that's suspicious definitely. I can see they couldn't font the right color for the mats. I'm also scheduling a PPI with Robert but still like to get a local nsxprimer to do a walk around and test drive before I through in $300 for the PPI/compression test.

thanks everyone

lamchop168

I went to see this car in person about a week ago. The owner also stated all work was done, hoses replaced, TB/WP etc... I drove the car, it felt good. Interior is in good shape. The only thing I could tell you is the car needed a good detail. Engine bay was dirty and the paint needed a good buff. Here is one thing I learned about the car.... It was repainted a few years back. The previous owner took the car in for a respray on the front bumper to remove rock chips... According to the seller the body shop talked the owner into painting the full car (Sounds fishy to me). The receipt for paint was $8000. The seller has all records so that is good. He has owned several NSX in the past and knows what he is talking about in regards to parts, maintenance etc...

I passed on this car because of the respray and didnt really LOVE the red/tan look. I enjoy the darker colors. My search continues, I hope this helps you with yours. Good Luck

Rmorrow, that's great info. So basically to sum your experience with this car is that the drives good, engines need cleaning, not a big deal the car does have over 50k miles on it, but the repaint, hmmm, that kind of throughs me off too. I rather have a car that has a few minor scratches then a full repaint. Theses aluminum body are not easy to paint, you need an expert to that job. The more I think about it, the more I'm against buying this car now. No wonder the price although not dirt cheap but is really attractive for a 04. Thank you so much for letting me know, it really saved my butt and a trip to LA and eventually memory lane. LOL..... The search goes on.......

Rmorrow, that's great info. So basically to sum your experience with this car is that the drives good, engines need cleaning, not a big deal the car does have over 50k miles on it, but the repaint, hmmm, that kind of throughs me off too. I rather have a car that has a few minor scratches then a full repaint. Theses aluminum body are not easy to paint, you need an expert to that job. The more I think about it, the more I'm against buying this car now. No wonder the price although not dirt cheap but is really attractive for a 04. Thank you so much for letting me know, it really saved my butt and a trip to LA and eventually memory lane. LOL..... The search goes on.......

Yeah the car seemed like it was in good shape. The owner (Dealer) had a lot of knowledge about these cars, he is a true car enthusiast. He had all the service records and the paint invoices... All panels matched so nothing was replaced during paint. He also did an extensive service on the car. If you can get over the paint job this would be a great pick up. Not sure what the paint job does to values on these.

That is a great question. Do you recall how well was the paint job? Does anyone in this forum consider a big lost due to a totally repaint car? If so, what will the lost be, $10k less or more? Also, if not, why do you think it's okay to have the entire car repainted? That's if nothing else was wrong other than a repaint of the entire car, not due to damage to the body.

Does anyone in this forum consider a big lost due to a totally repaint car? If so, what will the lost be, $10k less or more? Also, if not, why do you think it's okay to have the entire car repainted? That's if nothing else was wrong other than a repaint of the entire car, not due to damage to the body.

A total repaint is always a red flag and some high end buyers will pass on a car for that reason alone. It is unlikely that a repainted car will ever sell for the high end prices ~ I would say that a 10-20% discount on the high end prices is probably a valid ballpark.

The big reason of course is the question "why are you repainting a 2004 with 50k miles if it wasn't in a notable accident?"

I would most certainly have it inspected by an EXPERIENCED NSX mechanic who will be able to evaluate if there is frame damage. If so, expect an even more dramatic price reduction in value.

One question you may want to ask is whether you want a driver or a beauty queen. If you want a driver, then don't sweat the small stuff. As you drive, you WILL get chips, bumps, scrapes, etc, etc and also don't worry so much about overall value. By in large, a decent late model NSX is going to hold its value simply because there weren't many sold here. In 2004 there were only 197 sold in the US. Furthermore, you are looking at around 20 red/tan combos for that year. Despite the apparent popularity of other colors, red is ALWAYS a solid bet for resale value in a sports car.

In summary, this car is reasonably priced (and now that we know the paint story, we know why) and maybe open to further negotiation. If you want a fun car to drive, I wouldn't sweat the repaint issue too much as long as you have it carefully looked over by someone who knows what they are talking about.

I also saw the car in person, scratches and bad paint overlaps on clear and original paint.
engine rocks a bit and cold start has a bit issues. They are by appointment only so I guess I was lucky to started it when cold.

Last edited:
blue_myriddn, thanks you for all the suggestions. This car is really the year, mileage and my price range, I really can't spend anymore than around $55k since we also have a heavy tax rate in NY, that will probably cost me another $4k. $300 for PPI, then an immediate check up by Larry B. will cost a few extra $$$. Overall, I'm getting a little worry on how much I might end up spending. My original spending estimate was around $45k, then I looked and looked, and I really like 2002 and up model, the flip up headlight scare me if it breaks, the non-porforated seats mostly are cracked, and overall, the 02 and up just have many tech upgrades compare to the older ones. I really do like the NA1 style but for me, I think I will need to spend a few more for the newer version. But, I don't know if I want to spend over $55k in total. So I think I have a long road to search for my dream car. I think I'm only going to spend $50 on the car itself, then another $5k for taxes and PPI, etc. So total of $55k max, if I can get one, great, if not, I'm going to have to live with me 09 Prius for the rest of my life........ :..(

Thanks Everyone!

Lamchop168

the flip up headlight scare me if it breaks
I don't think I have ever seen a NSX with a broken popup, so I wouldn't sweat it. Oddly enough, I had that same concern when I was shopping and someone told me what I just told you. The good thing about a NSX is it was well built, so a lot of dumb stuff that happens on more mass produced factory line cars just doesn't happen to the NSX.
As far as seats, you can fix that for about $1,000 (give or take) by simply recovering the seats. That may sound like a big chunk of change, but not when you are shopping for a $45-55,000 car. If you find a car that is great other than the seats are worn, consider buying the car and simply redoing the seats. Good friend of mine owned a high mileage NSX where the seats were redone and I have to say I was amazed at how nice they came out. Here's a quick photo:

cjal.jpg

Buying any exotic is a journey. You may find this article enjoyable given your current situation: http://plays-with-cars.kinja.com/buying-a-ferrari-is-harder-than-you-might-think-video-1516788481

blue_myriddn, Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm not going to give up. I will have a NSX in my driveway sooner or later..........

Back