Incredibly long specific NSX question

My dad finally may bite the bullet and get himself a toy. He like my STi, but need something a little more grown up. He likes the idea of the NSX very much, but it is just too slow in a straight line.

If his budget is less than 40K, how would you suggest to build a reasonably reliable NSX? From searching around a little bit, I see there are turbo kits, but I know turboing a NA motor is difficult.

Goals would be reasonably modest, 350-400 whp. Given this, what year car would be best to build from?

Would we need to build the block?
Would something need to be done about the tranny/diff/axles/etc?
What engine management is used?
Who on the east coast can tune?

While this would be a weekend car, my dad doesn't have tons of time to wrench on the car, nor does he have unlimited funds to constantly pay a shop. This would have to be a set it and forget it setup where he would enjoy it like it were a stock car. Is this possible for the power/budget goals?

Thanks

-Ben

The solution for this would be a Comptech supercharger in its base configuration along with Intake/heafers/Exhaust. This combo should give you somewhere close to 350 RWHP without much risk to the engine. Anything more than the boost provided by the base Comptech SC would require internal engine mods.

It's going to be difficult for the NSX to meet your fathers needs. If he's seriously looking for a 350-400hp NSX, he's going tp have to spend more than $40k, unless he wants to buy a high mileage early NSX and then go FI. But then, he's probably going to have to spend time and money to get the car tuned properly and you have stated that he wants to avoid that situation.

My question for you is; has your father driven an NSX? How does he know that he needs more power? If he's looking mainly for straight line performance, has he considered a Factory Five or Superformance Cobra replica? For under $40k, he can have a 2000lb car that goes like stink and won't require much maintainence. :wink:

Good luck.

Not to flame you mate, but have either one of you driven an NSX. I do not mean shifting at 3000 RPM I mean taking it to the redline. I am not in the US but I would say that if he wants to do any building 40K is not enough. Just get the best NSX that 40K can get you.

Cheers and good luck in your search,

AR

Capt Crunch said:
He likes the idea of the NSX very much, but it is just too slow in a straight line.

These not fast enough posts burn my ass. My stock 91 NSX can break any posted speed limit is 2nd gear and can do more then 160 MPH. I can be comfortable driving around town or on the freeway all day long. In spring come to Road America and I will give you a ride and see if 145 in the front straight is slow and just for fun see how many cars can follow us around the carousel and come out at 100mph and not spin. :smile:

Both of us have driven an NSX. Not sure of the year, but it had flip-up headlights. It may have not been a pristine model, as it did seem a bit beat up. Still, it's not as fast as he'd like. Guys I know the NSX is a handling machine, and that it will take corners at speeds higher than lesser cars. I track my car, I know that chassis/suspension is more fundamental to speed rather than power. However this car will be mostly a street car, and neither me nor my dad are willing to approach 9/10th on the road. Thus power becomes more important, because flooring it is easy and safe.

Part of the problem may be the gearing, which I think is a bit long. My sti has very short gearing, which meaks it feel faster than it is. I think my dad likes driving my car because it's an event, constantly rowing through the gears makes it seem like a "race" car. Are there close-ratio gearsets for the NSX?

The reason I ask about making slightly more power is because when you floor it at an entrance ramp, 350 whp is more fun than 250. When I'm on the track, 250 whp is plenty, more than enough to overwhelm my talent if I'm not careful. On the street however, I'd like more for those empty bits of road.

I hope you guys see where he's coming from, if you have any more advice we'd love to hear it.

$40 grand, will get you a brand spanking new S2k with CTSC:wink:

flaminio said:
Sounds like your dad would like a Viper instead. Not sure the NSX is the right car for him...

Funny thing is, he absolutely hates american cars, such as "muscle" cars. No good reason... I think he likens them to a sledge hammer when he wants a scalpel.

How about this: If he had more money, he would buy a Noble M12 GTO (or M400). He wants to get as close as possible in spirit to that car I think.

What kind of NSX can you get for 40k? Can you get one with a 6-speed, and do the 6-speed cars have closer gear ratios? Are there other major revisions through the model year we should take note of?

Although the NSX is a "grown up" car as per your father's spec, I think he should look elsewhere based on his qualifier for a $40K car. The NSX is just too unique to approach from that way of thinking.

I don't have an answer to your question, but suggest he look for a car that has a large selection of go-fast kits to choose from. Once you read many posts on Prime, you will see that adding go-fast features to the NSX is an addiction that does not stop at $40K!

Good luck!
Shaun

AdnanVCS said:
You could a buy a NSX and put a twin turbo on it seen some nice kits (400-500HP)

Not for his budget of 40K to buy the car and to mod, unless he finds one that is modded already.

Based on his goals and price, sounds like he should get an early 90's NSX and get the comptech supercharger, like Hugh said. Although after headers and exhaust I am thinking he will be over 40K, but it will be close.

Capt Crunch said:
Funny thing is, he absolutely hates american cars

The Viper's made by Dodge, a division of Daimler Chrysler, and therefore technically a German car. Maybe that would sway him ;)?

My suggestion to u would be to get a early model (91-92) If you are lucky you mite be able to find one for around 30K depending on the mileage and then go with the simple bolt on’s that Hugh suggested in post #2 these make an incredible difference. Intake header and exhaust will run u approx. $3200 super charger is going to run u about 10K after tuning and install. Another option is to go with the JDM short gears and NSX-R final drive (approx. 8K) . However the price for performance is very expensive, so to keep u within your 40K price range it’s going to be a one or the other case. If you are looking for a car that is just going to be a strait line car in that price range, I would suggest a Vette Z06 (405hp) there a beast and in a strait line they are fast very fast! + with simple and expensive bolt ons are capable of 500HP.They are hard to drive 3rd to 4th stift at 90mph + unexpected power-slide = me pulling over to check my shorts. Good luck on your decision and do some research. The search engine at the top of the page is your friend. Try snap ring! :smile:

Hi Ben, he could buy a car like one of these.
93 twin turbo 477rwhp
91 twin turbo 420hp

Or he could buy a car like this and add a used CTSC
This setup is basicly set it and forget it and has very impressive acceleration :eek: . You have to remember an nsx is not a heavy car, so 340-350hp is plenty. You need to go for a ride in a CTSC car there are plenty out there, he will be very pleased.

Good luck

Capt Crunch said:
Funny thing is, he absolutely hates american cars, such as "muscle" cars. No good reason... I think he likens them to a sledge hammer when he wants a scalpel.

How about this: If he had more money, he would buy a Noble M12 GTO (or M400). He wants to get as close as possible in spirit to that car I think.

What kind of NSX can you get for 40k? Can you get one with a 6-speed, and do the 6-speed cars have closer gear ratios? Are there other major revisions through the model year we should take note of?

For the money I paid for my NSX-R I could have bought a Noble. To me a Noble is a great track car, but I could not live with it everyday. The interior looks cheap, the doors dont close as an NSX door does just IMHO.

Cheers,

AR

Tell him to just buy the corvette. I too grow weary of hearing people talk about how the NSX is just not fast enough for them. Typically, (here comes the generalization, so look out-) these are the same people who end up posting stories about how they got an unwarranted ticket becasue they were in a NSX, or how they crashed the car and it was not their fault, etc.....buy the vette. As an aside, the Superformance Cobra is IMHO the best kit car out there. My cousin has a 427 Cobra built by them and it is a bullet on wheels.

I think Capt Crunch's dad is in the right spirit. He's looking for a refined sporty car that he can drive with little worries. When I think of that list of wants, the first car that comes to mind is an NSX. For what you pay, it still is an incredible deal and it's mere exclusivity is worth the price of admission. From the sound of it, the NSX sounds like a perfect blend of the qualities he's looking, except for the power issue. But there's nothing wrong with wanting a little bit more power.

However, $40K might be be a little short. I suppose you could get a very high milage '91-'92 for about $25K and then add a CTSC for about $15. That would get you to $40K. No telling how that long would last.

More realistically it will be about $30K for a high milage '91-'92, about $15K for the CTSC and another $5K for miscellaneous repairs/upgrades to get the car back into shape. That would put you at about $50K. Even if the car was 100K miles, it would still be reliable, a head turner and in an elite performance bracket few cars can compete in. All for about $50K. Still an awesome deal IMHO.

Hugh said:
The solution for this would be a Comptech supercharger in its base configuration along with Intake/heafers/Exhaust. This combo should give you somewhere close to 350 RWHP without much risk to the engine. Anything more than the boost provided by the base Comptech SC would require internal engine mods.
Ditto - get the CTSC.

NSXSupra gave me a ride in his '92 NSX. He has a standard Comptech Supercharger (CTSC) with Comptech headers and an aftermarket exhaust (Taitec GTLW). It PULLED SO DAMN HARD (0-60 in the low 4 second range) that I immediately ordered one for my NSX. I'm probably as old as your Dad, and believe me, he will love it.

CTSC + i/h/e clutch, lighter flywheel and short gears. You should be good to go with that.

P.S. I don't know if you tested a crappy nsx but stock nsx is pretty quick.

DRIFTER said:
NOT for 40K:eek:

I meant that if he gets that he should be ok with liking the power. I never meant get a car and that for 40k hehe.

Briank said:
These not fast enough posts burn my ass. My stock 91 NSX can break any posted speed limit is 2nd gear and can do more then 160 MPH. I can be comfortable driving around town or on the freeway all day long. In spring come to Road America and I will give you a ride and see if 145 in the front straight is slow and just for fun see how many cars can follow us around the carousel and come out at 100mph and not spin. :smile:

That shouldn't burn your ass....a stock NSX is not a fast car by any stretch, especially an NA1 model. Does it grip like a bastard and look sexy?.....Yes. Is it fast.....No.

Every sports car I've had before my NSX has been faster, but the NSX is still the car I've owned the longest. :biggrin:

Capt Crunch said:

So he wants a scalpel with hammer-like acceleration ???

Or would that be a hammer with scalpel-like handling ??? :rolleyes:

Back