Inaugural Honda Challenge Championship

Thanks for the info on Barber lap times....I will be running there with HSR in group 9 against late model Porsche Cup cars and IMSA BMW M3 GT's...They have over 400 horsepower so I was totally underpowered at Watkins Glen but I have put a CTSC on the car last week and expect to be a little more competitive at VIR in 4 weeks. Thanks to all the help from Chris at SOS and Mark from Dali!

Rob,

When you take something as a challenge you don't mess around!!
What an awesome looking car and so meticulously prepared!
I live in the Chicago area and might be interested in attending the race; what is the date in September?
I feel I would like to be there to cheer you and your NSX on; best of luck.

Sept. 11-17 NASA Nationals Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course

Bob Kenney said:
Rob,

I live in the Chicago area and might be interested in attending the race; what is the date in September?

Chad Slagg here

Honda Challenge director for the SEHC

THAT NSX IS SWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTT....but....

For the Road Atlanta weekend you will need to be on the Toyo tire since that is the Spec for the Series. And to collect "POINTS" or your races for NASA Nationals you will have to be on the spec Toyo's.
Unless you have cleared running another tire through nationals.

Chad

RacerX-21 said:
........ I was also contemplating some aluminum coachwork to flare the fenders similar to the PPG BMW’s..........
You relize fender flares are illegal in HU corect?

Also it looks like your splitter and wing overhang past 1.5" Can't tell for sure. Might want to check that stuff out before make the trip all the way to nationals and get protested.

RacerX-21 said:

That is terribly slow for Road Atlanta for that car.

An SCCA T-1 essentially stock Corvette Z06 with around 380RWHP runs 133's there.

You need 629RWHP or is that the 700RWHP to run 129's? LOL

How much have you driven?

BTW I suspect your car is 400-500 lbs lighter than a T-1 vette as well.

That NSX with a good driver in it should be in the low to mid 120's easily...

It is essentially a near GT1 car but with more power and lighter and they run very low 120's.

All show, no go??

wowww a newbie to prime laying down the smacketh so soon:rolleyes:

slow_poke said:

An SCCA T-1 essentially stock Corvette Z06 with around 380RWHP runs 133's there.

so if you run a 1.38 how much hp do you have to have??

129's is a good start for that car....

you have no clue

slow_poke said:
BTW I suspect your car is 400-500 lbs lighter than a T-1 vette as well.

That NSX with a good driver in it should be in the low to mid 120's easily...

It is essentially a near GT1 car but with more power and lighter and they run very low 120's.

All show, no go??

It is very nice you have provided this community with your unsolicited opinion; may I ask your credentials for offering such. I see you have never before posted; I am wondering why you feel your commentary is now necessary. All other postings are offering encouragement and constructive input; you are certainly a standout with your observations. :confused:

slow_poke said:

If you are going to bash someone, at least have the decency to post your real name.

BTW, this is Andrie Hartanto using Kenji's computer

Another thing to add. 4 seconds a lap is a big margin IMHO. Imagine a 20 lap race, that will translate to 80 seconds gap. Almost a lap. So, what is your experience to voice a bold opinion?

RacerX-21 said:
The car was too loud for the DB limit at some tracks, so in addition to adding sound reducing cones I put directional tips that can be rotated away from the sound testing stations. Some tracks have them on the left and some have them on the right. I can’t take credit for this; it’s common practice in racing.
I thought it helps on oval tracks.:biggrin:
GO KICK SOME TAIL PIPES . MAKE US PROUD. GOOD LUCK.

Chris F said:
"I took that as a challenge and opportunity to represent the premiere Honda sports car, and built an NSX to win the inaugural Honda Challenge Championship at Mid-Ohio in September."

Ah ha! We'll see about that! Hehehehe....

Couple of things to make sure you keep in mind...
-- Do you know how many other HU cars are registered, did HU make the minimum cutoff? If not, you'll be stuck in SU or PTU if you still want to go to NASA Nationals. Do they need 4 or 5 cars, I can't recall.

-- Do you have the minimum amount of NASA races under your belt to be eligible for the Nationals? I think it's 5 races [edit: Not 5 events, 5 races]...

So far, the only two I know of in HU actively are me and Kelsey in a Prelude.

Coming up to Mid-O in a few weeks with NASA? I have some work to do on the car but I'm about 75% sure I'll be there. They cut all the curbs down, they were HORRIBLY high this spring, but now they're friendly again. That might take a second off our existing times. Last time I was out there I blew up my tranny, but was still able to make the Sunday race at least, and caught the other HU car on the last lap, from the back of the pack :) :)

Edit for preciseness, here's a qhote from http://nasachampionships.com

It seems like "5 races" could be done in 1 weekend if you enrolled in HU, SU, and TTU (or TTR?). You might want to bring a crew. ;)

-Chris

I will have 10 NASA races after the next Road Atlanta event in August.

I did read that minimum class quantities are required… all I can do is wait, however the majority of the entrants are supposed to enter in August.

I’m looking forward to the event and getting back to the Midwest. Even if they don’t fill the class, I will try to win the Spec Miata event.

1:29 is a lightning fat lap on 275’s… that’s what the World Challenge cars are doing at Road Atlanta, I only hope I can run that fast after I sort the car out. The fastest/winning GT-1 ran a 1:33.8 and has 13" wide tires front and rear, they make over 750 HP and the one-piece body is esentually a big wing. The fastest T-1 at the Road Atlanta event last weekend was a 1:39.49 with 315 tires. I will be happy with that on used 225 and 275 tires. I raced the T-1 champion at Barber in 2004 while testing my 275 RW Cup car in SPO (He won the Southeast championship three consecutive years) Guess who won at Barber?
Go back to your slot cars:eek:

(How much does your car weigh? What are some of the items that you have removed?)

I wouldn’t know where to start with what’s removed. The car hasn’t been to scales since the recreation but my guess is 2600 to 2700, the car has been lower but I added a lot of junk.

(Rob,

I have some hometown friends coming from Chicago; maybe you can hook up for the trip.

Chad Slagg here

(Honda Challenge director for the SEHC

THAT NSX IS SWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTT....but... .

For the Road Atlanta weekend you will need to be on the Toyo tire since that is the Spec for the Series. And to collect "POINTS" or your races for NASA Nationals you will have to be on the spec Toyo's.
Unless you have cleared running another tire through nationals.

Chad)

I wasn’t aware that regionals were on Toyo, thanks for the heads up. This Toyo thing is going to be difficult.

(You relize fender flares are illegal in HU corect?

Also it looks like your splitter and wing overhang past 1.5" Can't tell for sure. Might want to check that stuff out before make the trip all the way to nationals and get protested.)

Another thanks for the heads up- The wing is OK, and the flares are more of a wish that will have to stay that way. The splitter on the other hand may need some modification.

RacerX-21 said:
Grass roots magazine wrote in an article early this year that they were surprised not to see NSX’s coming out to race the new HU rule in Honda Challenge. I took that as a challenge and opportunity to represent the premiere Honda sports car, and built an NSX to win the inaugural Honda Challenge Championship at Mid-Ohio in September.

It did its first shakedown at a Chin Motorsports event last weekend at Barber in Alabama. Other then a loose hose clamp, the car worked flawlessly even in 100-degree temperatures.

It’s registered to race the next Honda Challenge event at Road Atlanta in August. After the Championship in September I will bring the car to NSXPO in Sebring.

All images/files contained on this disc are Copyright 2006 Colour Tech South Motorsports Photography, LLC.
The original purchaser is licenced to utilize the images for personal use, personal/team promotion, or news release only. When used in personal/team promotion or news release a credit is asked to be given to Colour Tech South Motorsports Photography, LLC. Any commercial use, copying for resale, or resale in whole or part in original or altered form is stricltly prohibited and unlawful without the expressed written permission of Colour Tech South Motorsports Photography, LLC.

Contact information:
Colour Tech South Motorsports Photography, LLC
30922 Sealine Drive
Leesburg, Florida 34748
Tel: (407) 325-2520
e-mail: [email protected]

Hey, best wishes and I luv the license plate frame...ha...can't even imagine what a cop would do if he saw that on the street:eek: ....sweeet!

KUDOS to you for making such an effort. Ignore the negative comments but after a run in the Grand Am, you know how everyone loves to crap on the NSX. Can you re-body it as a Mustang? People will treat you like OPRAH Winfrey "We speak your name" :rolleyes:

Hey, if they won't let you run in HonChal, do the One Lap next year.

Enter the NSX as "Road and Tracks" entrant in the Car & Driver One lap:eek:

That'll get Brock's eyebrows raised since he errrr...doesn't seem to be in the Car & Driver magazine anymore:biggrin:

All B.S. aside, takes guts to go your route....Do you have a donation account set up...seems some would want to help you...

Texasnsxs

Why dont you run it in some HSR vintage events..big fields of varying cars with great racing!

are you serious? T1 ran 1:39s?.... H1 honda lap record is 1:38.8 and that is a FWD with 225's.....the weather would affect the lap times, but not that much....?

RacerX-21 said:
1:29 is a lightning fat lap on 275’s… that’s what the World Challenge cars are doing at Road Atlanta, I only hope I can run that fast after I sort the car out. The fastest/winning GT-1 ran a 1:33.8 and has 13" wide tires front and rear, they make over 750 HP and the one-piece body is esentually a big wing. The fastest T-1 at the Road Atlanta event last weekend was a 1:39.49 with 315 tires.

Scot said:
are you serious? T1 ran 1:39s?.... H1 honda lap record is 1:38.8 and that is a FWD with 225's.....the weather would affect the lap times, but not that much....?
The times are posted here- http://www.sedivracing.org/SARRC/2006_results/rdatl2/Gp4RACE.pdf
A few reasons come to mind; 1) The later the season, the more people drop races because of diminished point possibilities; this was also a single race vs. the dual format. 2) Its been really hot here and even in consistent classes like SM, the times are down a second + with the same tires. 3) That brings to mind another issue; the Road Atlanta surface isn’t getting any newer. Using Roebling as an example, it went from so grippy that it could ruin tires in a single session to almost unbelievably slippery in a very short time (About 2 years). 4) With respect to H1, didn’t they go from open tire to Toyo? I know that the Miatas ran mostly in the 1:49s that weekend and I think I recall the track record being 1:44. Better weather during the AARC and Hoosier tires are worth 2 seconds.

H1 fastest time on toyos in March 2006
21 1 01 HC-1 C. Slagg 2000 Honda Civic Si 01:38.837 12 Lap 12

I really don't see the NSX having a problem getting to a 1.29 even in the heat.

The NSX should see 170 on the back straight and a good 150 on the front.

FWIW I was hitting the REV LIMITTER in 6th on the back straight which is 155.

hoopla14 said:
H1 fastest time on toyos in March 2006
21 1 01 HC-1 C. Slagg 2000 Honda Civic Si 01:38.837 12 Lap 12

I really don't see the NSX having a problem getting to a 1.29 even in the heat.

The NSX should see 170 on the back straight and a good 150 on the front.

FWIW I was hitting the REV LIMITTER in 6th on the back straight which is 155.

Hi Chad,

Wow 155 in a Civic, what’s the HP, weight and tire size?
While instructing at an early season BMW event, I had a couple laps with this car before it overheated and I’m sure it didn’t get over 160 gauge speed, but I did need to stop near the top of the hill with the OE brakes. That reminds me… I need to order some softer springs up front to get the car to bite better under braking. It saw about 150 on the front straight. I remember the WC NSX was about 185 with the programmable wheel sensor. I can’t validate the accuracy.

Over the weekend I spent some time revising my splitter to meet the specs. I also spoke with NASA to confirm the definition of the rule. Mostly the sides needed trimming but since I reshaped the nose for radiator flow, I needed to notch the front of the splitter to meet 1-1/2” rule every ware. (It’s too bad because the way the NSX nose overhangs the front of the car; I could have had a 6” splitter and still met the rules.) I also trimmed the trailing edge to end at the wheel well opening. The job was difficult because the splitter material is a laminated honeycomb, so you need to epoxy the edge and sand a bull nose, then fill imperfections and sand again, then drill and re-rivet the trailing edge flaps, then paint, then relocate the support struts, then re-decal. I was able to locate new 225/45/15’s for the front, and I have a 2-year old set of 275’s for the rears so it looks like I’m good to go for the test. The 15” rims will require the use of the stock brake calipers and rotors (Single sided), and the rear tires are going to suck so I have no reason to run more HP. Anyway- Even in Ohio, I will bring the higher boost supercharger pulley and the code to change the ECU, but won’t change them unless it looks like I need to. The NSX trans can only handle limited use above 600, and I still have the potential temperature concerns.

I’m extremely skeptical about 1:29s, beside the pitiful excuses I’m making above; I have experience with what it takes to get those times at Road Atlanta in an NSX. My World Challenge NSX ran 1:28-1:29 and it had a 6-speed, new and larger tires, a knife-edge sway bar, way more down force with the Realtime body parts and wing, 13” brakes, and made 600+ to the rear wheels. Peter Cunningham didn’t run that car any faster the year before when winning the World Challenge. It’s always been difficult for observers to compare cars, weight is the ultimate of all the performance variables, less weight always accelerates, corners, exits and brakes faster. One of the limiting factors with the NSX is tire size, the tire size limits it’s ability to corner or brake any faster then the tires capability, and defiantly limits the use of high HP. Most of the cars that are compared to the NSX have much larger tires.

As for that spectator thinking that T-1 is stock… yes, just like a 100 hp spec Miata that beats more then half the Honda and 944 field.

Attachments

• Splitterfront.jpg
    Splitterfront.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 114
  • SplitterRear.jpg
    SplitterRear.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 101
Back