In Shape, Out of Shape....

Anyone here gain weight and then lose it drastically, then gain it all over?

I have gone from 220 down to 190, then up to 210, then 220, now at 263...and just started to work out again, hoping to get back to 210. I have gone up and down through these cycles about twice now in the last four years.

I know the problem is b/c I cut my carbs, eat high protein, and shed the weight, and as soon as I start dating again, I lose focus, start eating/watching movies, and I gain it all back.

I can't seem to find a balance between being single (workout) and in a relationship (getting fat).

Here is a picture from 4 years ago. Since then, I have gained 53 pounds, but this is my second time to be in that shape (gain/lose/gain/lose). In between my in shape cycles, I look like a whale.

Anyone know how to help?

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,341
Well your muscles still have that memory..so getting down won't be a problem. Staying down is the problem.. We all love to eat.. and then get lazy. A few times a month i always see some guy @ the gym saying "ya man i gotta get back into it man i've been slackin." You just need to push youself & get to the gym at least 3 days a week, if not more. A lot of guys i see @ the gym ditch the gf for a few hrs so they can watch days of our lives..and that seems to work out. Some choose to work out together, i find this to be an inconvenience and distraction. But if you can convince her to do her cardio and let you do your thing, than more power to you!

Now to lose the weight quickly. I'd suggest possibly working out in a sweatshirt/sauna suit..also picking up a bottle of thermo gain made by muscletech is a good idea as well. It helps you gain muscle fast and burn more calories by boosting up your heart rate. You need to figure out a cycle and go with it until you find results. I'd def run a few miles in there somewhere on the treadmill for a cool down. And at the end maybe even jump in the sauna.

I normally don't eat or drink until i'm done working out for the day(small hydration). Whats the point of having a big breakfast and then having to hit the gym to burn off what you just ate...after running 20 mins on the treadmill u just burned 2 slices of bacon. When i get home i try and eat a sensible meal or even better just drink a protein shake in replacement for the meal.. if i'm really trying to get done in lbs thats all i'd eat/drink for the day.. it's hell but it works ,BELIEVE ME!! Of course try not to eat after 6..you just add on more if you chow down during jay leno.

I was @ 220 as well i'm now down to about 200 even. I'd like to get down to 185. I'll prolly be there as soon as september rolls around.
good luck with it though!

Thanks for the reply. My biggest problem is consistency. I never have been very good at balance. I can hit it hard for about six months (11 hours a week in the gym), but then I just flat our lose interest.

I have identified my problems: staying up way too late, binge eating, skipping meals, and plum just getting burned out on my workouts (even rotating in a partner here and there, and changing my routine).

It is such a pain to try and get back in shape each time, this will be my third go at it. Two years ago, I resembled the above picture very much, with about 15 more lbs of muscle. I had a strenght coach working with me four to five days a week, and life seemed great. I typically left work around 7 pm, and finished my workout around 9:45pm. Quickly; however, I noticed it seemed like my entire life was work/workout, and it almost felt like an obsession. I started regretting 'having' to go to the gym, and would look for reasons not to go.

I'm not sure if I will always be this way, but I never got the whole, "I'm gonna work out three times a week to be in moderate shape." It seems that consistently pushing myself burns me out (similair to my work habits - which make me loathe work).

I know I will get back in shape, I'm just trying to figure out how to maintain once I get there.

Gaining and losing so much weight is getting old, and the work it takes to get rid of the extra weight (this time 51 lbs) is even worse.

johnny do you have any tips for growing bigger shoulders especially the rear one? Thanks.

Consistency is definitely key. IMO 1.75 hours at the gym is WAY over-training. I've been consistently weight training 5 days a week for the last 8 years or so; I'm 6'1" 185 lbs, 6-8% body fat.

This is what I do to keep it going:

- 45min - 1hr per session.
- 1 cheat day per week (pizza, ice cream, etc.)
- every 2-3 months I take a full week off from the gym
- 6 meals a day - I've just trained myself to do this
- I naturally eat a high protein diet + supplement with shakes

I don't currently have any fitness goals that I'm striving for and I haven't gained/lost any muscle or gained/lost any fat for the last year; I'd say I'm purely in maintenance mode. Of course, what I've written is just a very generalized overview of what I do. I doubt it will help, but I just wanted to provide some additional perspective to this topic.

Jin1976 said:
johnny do you have any tips for growing bigger shoulders especially the rear one? Thanks.

Here is a good link showing a few exercises for your rear delts

Personally, I never got around to building them up like I planned...these pics are from the last time I was a gym rat 2 years ago...I have torn my right rotator cuff 3 times (not from working out), so working my shoulders have always been hell.

Anyway, these pics motivate me, but it has been two fulls years since I worked out now, and the poundage added up FAST.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 280
  • guess who.jpg
    guess who.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 368
Jin1976 said:
It's important to focus on all aspects of shoulder/deltoids development. If you're looking for growth, the shoulder press is the way to go. Bent over rear delt raises specifically target your rear delts, I like to do them lying face down on a flat bench.

As always, make sure you're eating enough calories for muscle growth... otherwise you're spinning your wheels.

redshift said:
Consistency is definitely key. IMO 1.75 hours at the gym is WAY over-training. I've been consistently weight training 5 days a week for the last 8 years or so; I'm 6'1" 185 lbs, 6-8% body fat.

Well, it takes every bit of those long workouts for me to get into shape. From the first pic above I was about 8 to 9% body fat. The second set of pics I was 13.2%. Currently, I am in the 30% category. If you maintain 6 to 8 % body fat, MAN, you have some good genes. I think part of my problem was that once I started seeing results, I didn't want to stop. Plenty of guys were WAY BIGGER than me, but I always told myself I'd never slip over to the dark side of taking 'roids. Anyway, it always seemed like there was another body part that wasn't getting attention (ie- rear delts). My strength coach said my workouts were fine. I ran the tread mill to keep the fat off (high calorie diet), rode the bike, and did my weight training along with abs to wrap everything up--I always pushed the 2 hour mark on the workouts and it always seemed like I was missing a few exercises.

redshift said:
This is what I do to keep it going:

- 45min - 1hr per session.
- 1 cheat day per week (pizza, ice cream, etc.)
- every 2-3 months I take a full week off from the gym
- 6 meals a day - I've just trained myself to do this
- I naturally eat a high protein diet + supplement with shakes

I don't currently have any fitness goals that I'm striving for and I haven't gained/lost any muscle or gained/lost any fat for the last year; I'd say I'm purely in maintenance mode. Of course, what I've written is just a very generalized overview of what I do. I doubt it will help, but I just wanted to provide some additional perspective to this topic.

I'm not to the point where I can cheat, being at 30% body fat right now. I have crashed on the food, just started last week on tuna and egg whites. It is like a nightmare. I'm the guy that can eat everyones left overs...rich foods have always been a killer.

When I was in shape, I did cheat one day a week like you... ahh, my favorite day of the week. The discipline was fine while working out, but once I would find a girlfriend and settle down, in no time, the gym lost its appeal.

I just wish I could find that balance. I know some of you have it...but I think about work, running a house (yard maintenance), hopefully running my own business, working out hard/consistently, having a happy family, participating in childrens activities, having time for myself/girlfriend/wife........it adds up and there just don't seem to be enough hours in the day. When I think about it all, I just throw my hands up in the air, and pop another Cheeto.

redshift said:
As always, make sure you're eating enough calories for muscle growth... otherwise you're spinning your wheels.

Yes, very important indeed. If you are going to try and shed weight, I suggest trying to eat protein, under 35 grams of fat a day, increase your cold water intake (although you will gain a little water weight it is important in the long run), interval training/running, and lay off the weights for the first one to two weeks while your body adjusts to your new routine of working out. And don't forget to stretch....very important and overlooked.

johnny010 said:
Well, it takes every bit of those long workouts for me to get into shape. From the first pic above I was about 8 to 9% body fat. The second set of pics I was 13.2%. Currently, I am in the 30% category. If you maintain 6 to 8 % body fat, MAN, you have some good genes. I think part of my problem was that once I started seeing results, I didn't want to stop. It always seemed like there was another part that wasn't getting attention (ie- rear delts). My strength coach said my workouts were fine. I ran the tread mill to keep the fat off (high calorie diet), rode the bike, and did my weight training along with abs to wrap everything up--I always pushed the 2 hour mark on the workouts and it always seemed like I was missing a few exercises.
Well, I have hardgainer genes... I guess that's good and bad depending on how you look at it. It's easy for me to stay lean, but it's really difficult to add muscle - it takes 4000 calories/day when I'm trying to gain!

One of the major points I've learned throughout my fitness career is that everybodys' bodies respond differently to different types of training. Mine responds very well to a split routine (one muscle group/day), 45 minutes of intense heavy lifting, and a cascade-down set style (successive sets are heavier with fewer reps). 2hours/day just seems very excessive to me, but may work well for you... it would just be very difficult to keep up that level of training and it would seem easy to slip into over-training if you didn't have down cycles. Some of the top bodybuilders train like that during the off-season when they're building mass... others train 4hrs/day. :eek:

I'm not to the point where I can cheat, being at 30% body fat right now. I have crashed on the food, just started last week on tuna and egg whites. It is like a nightmare. I'm the guy that can eat everyones left overs...rich foods have always been a killer.
Been there with the egg whites and tuna. It is impossible to keep that up. I empathize. Fortunately, I never had a sweet tooth.

When I was in shape, I did cheat one day a week like you... ahh, my favorite day of the week. The discipline was fine while working out, but once I would find a girlfriend and settle down, in no time, the gym lost its appeal.
I won't lie and say that I started lifting weights for anything other than attracting girls. That was a long time ago though... before college. I do it for myself now. Just think about how happy you were during your fitness prime. I really get a high out of that feeling, so it is what I strive for.

I just wish I could find that balance. I know some of you have it...but I think about work, running a house (yard maintenance), hopefully running my own business, working out hard/consistently, having a happy family, participating in childrens activities, having time for myself/girlfriend/wife........it adds up and there just don't seem to be enough hours in the day. When I think about it all, I just throw my hands up in the air, and pop another Cheeto.
Life is overwhelming for sure. I tend to plan VERY far in the future, but my time is extremely granular. As cliche as it sounds, I take each day one hour at a time and make adjustments accordingly - I micro-manage my days and macro-manage my life. For me, being an engineer, I LOVE consistency. However, when it comes to time management, I am much happier when I am flexible - though I still follow a routine. :)

I did the military press but it does not thicken the rear parts of the shoulder. The bent over raise, the elbow should be inline with the shoulder?
redshift said:
It's important to focus on all aspects of shoulder/deltoids development. If you're looking for growth, the shoulder press is the way to go. Bent over rear delt raises specifically target your rear delts, I like to do them lying face down on a flat bench.

My first workout experience was back in High School (Sophomore/Junior year) when I joined the Track Team where I learned all the Basic Exercises. However, I was not into Bodybuilding yet and pretty much regard workout as a chore that came with the package.

Needless to say, my metabolism was high back then as a Teenager. On a Daily Average of consuming 2 Full Plates per meal (Lunch & Dinner) plus nighttime Instant Noodles, I had never gone above 135 lbs. I am 181 cm tall (i.e. almost 6 ft.) now and was at most 2 cm shorter then.

During my College Years, I have not worked out once at all and eventually hit 160 lbs. Then, I started working out again (very moderately, about once a week) for about a year and controlling my appetite (first time ever) to keep my weight around 150 lbs and still considered chubby in my back-then-girlfriend’s eyes.

At late 2003 / beginning 2004, I have relocated back to Hong Kong and all the great food caused my all-time high of 162 lbs. Since our relationship became long distance, I began to have more time to myself and got addicted to working out and semi-bodybuilding.

From going to the gym twice-a-week to 3-times-a-week to 4-times-a-week… and eventually everyday for about 1.5 hours each session. By summer 2005, I have hit my all-time low at 130 lbs with only 8% Body Fat and still able to bench 2 Plates (i.e. 90 lbs each side + 45 lb Bar = 225 lbs). Really, I am quite impressed with the Power-to-Weight ratio and by now, trust you would acknowledge I went with the Lean, Cut & Toned Look more than the traditional Huge Muscles Look.

However, the path to 8% Body Fat was not healthy. Other than working out daily, I kept myself to only eating 1 meal per Day and sometimes skip days (i.e. 1 meal every 2 days) which is not advised. Where do I get the energy to workout daily you may wonder? The answer is Lucozade (a glucose drink that provides instant energy, make sure you get to burn it or else it turns into fat) & Supplement, the rest is purely mental.

What I consume is normally 90-95% Protein (Beef, Chicken or Fish) + 5-10% Carbs (Rice or Noodles) small-sized platters and eat SLOWLY (make sure to chew your food as fine as possible for better digestion, eating slow will also make you feel full without over-eating).

Please note that Atkins diet (i.e. 100% Protein) will eventually kill you as the Human Body has to consume Carbohydrates at some point which makes South Beach Diet more sensible (www.southbeachdiet.com).

In any case, I did NOT follow the South Beach Diet because it is different for everybody (due to different metabolic rates) and I am comfortable in eating the amount of Carbs I feel right. Basically, create your own Protein / Carbs Proportion through trial & error because you ought to know your body the best. The best thing to do (as everyone knows) is to eat 6 meals a day, 2 hour intervals and all small-tiny portions only. That way, you will get to build up your metabolic rate again.

My 1 meal per Day Diet came by because my job would not allow me to constantly eat once every 2 hours. Note that your body gets to absorb the most of your intake within the 1 hour after working out. Hence, if you are looking to gain muscles, eat more Protein or drink Protein Shakes (as SFMarine0311 suggested) after working out. If you are looking to loose weight, resist your hunger after the workout.

Not very insightful, but just my 2 cents.

I think the saying goes:

It takes only 2 weeks to get out of shape and 6 weeks to get back in shape.

Johnny, I yo-yo worse than you. I'd always been able to eat whatever I wanted, and growing up, I developed BAD eating habits. My mom would basically make separate meals for everyone and would keep tons of snack foods around the house. She'd give me money to get "double lunches" at school. I don't like the taste or texture of anything that might be considered healthy. I eat almost no fruit or vegetables, and a salad has to be covered in ranch dressing.

In my early 20s I was big into the gym and even experimented with steroids and went from 160 to 210 and then down to 180. By my late 20s I slacked off and blew up from 180 to 250 over the course of a few years. I went on phen/fen and hit the gym again (basically treadmill only) and got back down to 180. I quickly got back up to 220 and hit the phen/fen again. Back to 180. Then I got a serious girlfriend who I later married. I was 180 when I met her but ballooned up to 270 (!!!) by 2002.

In sept 2002 I went to federal prison for 16 months, I was 252 when I went in and got down to 172 by the time I left (the lack of any decent food allowed me to control my eating). I was actually underweight, but was in great shape and again I lost all the weight by running and had actually ran a 1/2 marathon while I was in. By Sept 2004 I was up to 210 (I recall this because I did a 10 mile run and weighted myself before the run). Today I'm back into the 250s.

It's INCREDIBLY frustrating. I realize it's my own fault. I sit behind a computer all day for a job, and everyone I work with is much younger and we go out to eat every day. I hate healthy, low calorie foods and always go for the burger or chicken parm and consume far too many calories. I've done the whole Ketogenic (low carb) diet that weightlifters use before contests and it works very well when you stick to it, but it's impossible for me when my coworkers (not to mention my wife who can eat anything she wants and not gain weight) surround me with food. I don't know what I'm going to do at this point. I have two kids now and have to be able to keep up with them as they grow and I'd like to be able to set an example, I just can't keep away from the calories.

Good luck to you Johnny!!

Jin1976 said:
I did the military press but it does not thicken the rear parts of the shoulder. The bent over raise, the elbow should be inline with the shoulder?
Although it does not target them directly, the military press should thicken the rear delts. That being said, they may not be as affective for you as they are for others when building overall mass. If you're really trying to bring out those rear delts, then bent over raises will help. Keep doing shoulder presses in your shoulder routine though! Your shoulder workout might be something like this: 4 heavy sets of shoulder press, 4 sets of upright rows, 4 sets of bent over raises. You might even consider starting with the bent over raises adding focus to that body part and pre-exhaustion to the rest of your workout.

As far as elbow position, I would tend to say that it should be slightly below shoulder level - but this can differ from person to person depending on skeletal structure. Just make sure the elbow stays bent (non-locked) and does not move throughout the rep. Also be sure that your back does not round. Focus on pulling with your shoulders and squeeze them at the top of the positive portion of the rep. If you can feel your rear delts working and your range of motion feels natural (no pops or squeaks in your joints), then you're probably doing them right. Good luck!

You already know the answer to your dilemma,you need to maintain your single/on the prowl caloric/activity ratio constant all year.Fat cats don't hunt.

Yikes, you guys are small... or maybe I'm big.

I think I'm big.

I'm about 6'5", 275llbs. yea chubby. Lightest I've ever been was 255ish, and i was killing myself. I don't have a clue how to drop weight. I know how to put on muscle, but I don't know how to lose fat.

I don't care about the weight # - I care about bodyfat. (which is currently at an alltime high--gross) I want to get back into it and lose some serious at. I just guess I don't know where to start.

Thanks. I'll try those exercise.
redshift said:
Although it does not target them directly, the military press should thicken the rear delts. That being said, they may not be as affective for you as they are for others when building overall mass. If you're really trying to bring out those rear delts, then bent over raises will help. Keep doing shoulder presses in your shoulder routine though! Your shoulder workout might be something like this: 4 heavy sets of shoulder press, 4 sets of upright rows, 4 sets of bent over raises. You might even consider starting with the bent over raises adding focus to that body part and pre-exhaustion to the rest of your workout.

As far as elbow position, I would tend to say that it should be slightly below shoulder level - but this can differ from person to person depending on skeletal structure. Just make sure the elbow stays bent (non-locked) and does not move throughout the rep. Also be sure that your back does not round. Focus on pulling with your shoulders and squeeze them at the top of the positive portion of the rep. If you can feel your rear delts working and your range of motion feels natural (no pops or squeaks in your joints), then you're probably doing them right. Good luck!

work the machine from the inside-out...

You can get away w/ a large, fatty-rich breakfast due to the body's biochemical mechanisms... your liver has a fat-scale/calorimeter per'se. It detects the level of circulating of fats in the blood & digestive pathway, obviously detecting a large fat-concentration following a fatty-rich breakfast. Then, the liver has to produce adequate quantity of enzymes, bile-resins/salts for the rest of the day which are used to digest fats, based on the feedback from breakfast.

If the remainder of the day, high-conc. fatty foods are avoided and meals are small to below-average sized, the body then has to recycle and degrade the unused enzymes, bile-resins/salts. This production then recycling/degradation of liver enzymes/bile-resins/salts takes a tremendous amount of energy-input, thereby a very key component of one's basal metabolic rate.

Analogy...

You got a car for a long road-trip. The first portion of the drive, you drive like a bat out of he11... causing the car's computer to anticipate this is your driving style. The car's ECU then changes the shifting-pattern to short-shifts using lower ratio gears, firms the air-suspension & dampeners, makes the steering R&P ratio feel more sharp/crisp, and raises the engine's redline.

All these changes require an input of energy/effort from the car's computer in anticipation of a vigorous driving experience yet to come. But, you just set the cruise at 67mph and lounge w/ some tunez for the remainder of the drive. So, all the effort of the car's computer went in vain, never to be utilized in anticipated demanding situations.

Make'th sense?!? :p

Wow, talk about a topic that hits close to home, that I didn't really expect to be discussing with any of you folks... ;)

I'm in a different position from most of you, being somewhat older (middle aged) and less active (not really interested in working out). What I've been fighting is a tendency to gradually gain weight over the years, an average of 2-3 pounds per year. I never really noticed it until I looked up and I was suddenly 20-30 pounds more than I was 10-15 years ago.

During that time, I've occasionally been on crash diets, dropped 10-15 pounds, and gained it all back again in a few months. I now attribute that to a bad way of thinking: "I've accomplished my weight loss, now I can eat anything I want again". I now realize that I can't think that way any more. I am finally resigned to considering myself on a weight loss regimen for the rest of my life. It will be stricter when I still need to lose weight, but even once I get my weight down to where I want it to be, I am planning to stay there by thinking that I still need to watch my weight, and avoiding that way of thinking. I may engage in an occasional splurge, but it will be a single meal here or there or an occasional treat - no more thinking that I can just stop watching what I eat, ever again. I may or may not succeed, but at least, this is what I am planning and hoping to accomplish.

I think you really need to figure out what works for you to lose weight. You need to understand what you eat, when you eat, why you eat. The reasons and so forth are going to be very different from one person to another. I won't speculate on anyone else's reasons for eating. All I can tell you is about myself. I love food. I really do. I love going to the finest restaurants, I love many different kinds of food, I love snacking and junk food and desserts. I tend to eat when food is in front of me. If there's food around the house (ready to eat), I'll eat it. If I'm around food out of the house, I'll eat it. So much of my own battle is fought at the grocery store, the first line of defense, as well as not eating out any more than I have to.

I've come to realize that I don't eat just because I'm hungry. I would have to eat nothing (other than liquids) for about three days straight before I really start feeling any physical sensation of hunger. The rest of the time, when I "feel hungry", it's not a physical feeling due to lack of food inside me; it's a psychological dependency, one that pops up just a few hours after I eat. THAT'S what I need to conquer. Realizing that it's entirely psychological is a big help, because I know that it's not true hunger, it's more like an addiction.

The ways of losing weight are going to be very different, too. For example, I know that I can lose weight by doing what most experts recommend NOT doing - skipping meals. That's what works for me. I don't care if they tell you to eat three healthy meals a day, I just can't lose weight by doing it. I've been able to take weight off by skipping breakfast and lunch, and then for dinner, usually eating not a whole lot and/or only healthy items (except on occasions where I'm getting together with people). I'm not recommending this to anyone else, only noting that it seems to work for me, and if you want to lose weight, you have to figure out what works for you.

About four months ago, I reached my highest weight ever - 216 pounds on my 5'9" body. That may not sound like all that much - comparisons are relative, of course - but I looked (and still look) fat. I started another crash diet at that time, and I have lost 25 pounds so far. I now weigh the lowest I've been in the past 14 years (since Dan Quayle was vice president :eek: ), so I've already accomplished a lot. If I can lose another 15 pounds, I will no longer look fat (I should probably lose 20 to look just right, but I'll settle for 15). That's what I'm trying for (and I can't stress enough, it's just as important for me to stay there once I get there). If I get there, I'll update the chart in this post.

I haven't really followed a structured diet at all; I'm not counting calories or carbs, for example. But let's face it, we all know what foods put on weight - fats and carbs. I've tried to avoid both in order to lose weight. If you eat grilled fish and steamed vegetables, you're not going to put on weight, no matter whose diet you're talking about. I'm not against counting calories or carbs, just noting that a general awareness will often do. I'm usually pretty good at knowing what's good and what's bad, although I am occasionally surprised (like when I checked and discovered that a small 16 oz "low fat" shake at McDonald's has about the same number of calories as a Big Mac and more than twice the carbs - ice cream in general is a surprising killer). Oh, and beware the labeling of many foods. Many foods are labeled "low fat" but have tons of carbs, many others are labeled "low carb" but have tons of fat. When I'm being good, I avoid both. As I see it, I can eat half a head of cauliflower, steamed, and it's a whole lot better for me than those smallish "Lean Cuisine" entrees which have a smidgeon of protein (meat or fish) but served over a starch - not many calories but 40+ grams of carbs. I think it's important to realize what foods you can eat and enjoy without putting on weight (again, for me, grilled fish and steamed vegetables, and also salads, although salad dresssings and certain ingredients often make salads less weight-reducing than the category connotes), what foods will put on weight but you can do without (for me, beef and anything fried), and what foods you simply adore and need to minimize your consumption except as an occasional treat/reward (for me, breads, cakes and other desserts, and worst of all, ice cream).

What helps? It helps me to weigh myself at the start of every day. I put it into a spreadsheet and can look at a chart (which, BTW, is how I know how much I've gained over the years). It helps me to end every day by thinking about everything I ate during the day, and think about what I'm glad I ate and what items I regret eating. I drink lots of unsweetened or artificially sweetened liquids (diet sodas, diet iced tea) to keep myself feeling full.

I find it also helps to realize that when I eat too much for a day, it's not a reason for giving up; I can be good the next day and get right back into the swing of losing weight. Not that I want to be bad very often, but one day is not going to undo the success I've had. Better to fall down for a day and get right back up, than to use it as an excuse for gaining it all back.

Anyway, all of this is what has worked for me so far. I wish you all the best in your efforts.

Attachments

• weight061004.jpg
    weight061004.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Good job Ken,as you say some people are always able to eat,or are always hungry.The average overweight person who can't loose weight often underestimate thier total caloric intake each day.I am a fan of diet control but in combo with as much useful excersice as your time and body habitus can safely endure.Much mistisism has been placed on the process of weight loss in part because it makes "experts" gurus ect rich.If all of you who find yourselves stuck, will just take an exact accounting of your total calories(assuming a well ballanced diet) each day and realize that if you are not engaged in any prolonged physical activity you really should'nt be consuming more than 2-3000 calories depending on your frame.Thats not much considering what a can of coke has,a twinky,piece of pizza ect.There is no magic,only your willpower and a knowledge of how much you eat each day.

nsxtasy said:
Wow, talk about a topic that hits close to home, that I didn't really expect to be discussing with any of you folks... ;)
Glad I brought it to the table :biggrin:

nsxtasy said:
I now attribute that to a bad way of thinking: "I've accomplished my weight loss, now I can eat anything I want again". I now realize that I can't think that way any more. I am finally resigned to considering myself on a weight loss regimen for the rest of my life...Realizing that it's entirely psychological is a big help, because I know that it's not true hunger, it's more like an addiction.

The psychological part is a huge problem for me. Even when I hit these diets hard, I may get into bed around 11pm, and just think about food. Sometimes, Taco Bell (close by) pops into my head, and I will lie awake many hours, and finally get of bed and drive to get something to eat at 2 am. I will buy enough food for three people, binge, and then feel disgusted and gross....sometimes it helps though, because I can put that urge away for months.

I think I'll update this as well as the pounds shed away.

nsxtasy said:

I'm in a different position from most of you, being somewhat older (middle aged) and less active (not really interested in working out). What I've been fighting is a tendency to gradually gain weight over the years, an average of 2-3 pounds per year. I never really noticed it until I looked up and I was suddenly 20-30 pounds more than I was 10-15 years ago.

During that time, I've occasionally been on crash diets, dropped 10-15 pounds, and gained it all back again in a few months. I now attribute that to a bad way of thinking: "I've accomplished my weight loss, now I can eat anything I want again". I now realize that I can't think that way any more. I am finally resigned to considering myself on a weight loss regimen for the rest of my life. It will be stricter when I still need to lose weight, but even once I get my weight down to where I want it to be, I am planning to stay there by thinking that I still need to watch my weight, and avoiding that way of thinking. I may engage in an occasional splurge, but it will be a single meal here or there or an occasional treat - no more thinking that I can just stop watching what I eat, ever again. I may or may not succeed, but at least, this is what I am planning and hoping to accomplish.

I think you really need to figure out what works for you to lose weight. You need to understand what you eat, when you eat, why you eat. The reasons and so forth are going to be very different from one person to another. I won't speculate on anyone else's reasons for eating. All I can tell you is about myself. I love food. I really do. I love going to the finest restaurants, I love many different kinds of food, I love snacking and junk food and desserts. I tend to eat when food is in front of me. If there's food around the house (ready to eat), I'll eat it. If I'm around food out of the house, I'll eat it. So much of my own battle is fought at the grocery store, the first line of defense, as well as not eating out any more than I have to.

I've come to realize that I don't eat just because I'm hungry. I would have to eat nothing (other than liquids) for about three days straight before I really start feeling any physical sensation of hunger. The rest of the time, when I "feel hungry", it's not a physical feeling due to lack of food inside me; it's a psychological dependency, one that pops up just a few hours after I eat. THAT'S what I need to conquer. Realizing that it's entirely psychological is a big help, because I know that it's not true hunger, it's more like an addiction.

The ways of losing weight are going to be very different, too. For example, I know that I can lose weight by doing what most experts recommend NOT doing - skipping meals. That's what works for me. I don't care if they tell you to eat three healthy meals a day, I just can't lose weight by doing it. I've been able to take weight off by skipping breakfast and lunch, and then for dinner, usually eating not a whole lot and/or only healthy items (except on occasions where I'm getting together with people). I'm not recommending this to anyone else, only noting that it seems to work for me, and if you want to lose weight, you have to figure out what works for you.

About four months ago, I reached my highest weight ever - 216 pounds on my 5'9" body. That may not sound like all that much - comparisons are relative, of course - but I looked (and still look) fat. I started another crash diet at that time, and I have lost 25 pounds so far. I now weigh the lowest I've been in the past 14 years (since Dan Quayle was vice president :eek: ), so I've already accomplished a lot. If I can lose another 15 pounds, I will no longer look fat (I should probably lose 20 to look just right, but I'll settle for 15). That's what I'm trying for (and I can't stress enough, it's just as important for me to stay there once I get there). If I get there, I'll update the chart in this post.

I haven't really followed a structured diet at all; I'm not counting calories or carbs, for example. But let's face it, we all know what foods put on weight - fats and carbs. I've tried to avoid both in order to lose weight. If you eat grilled fish and steamed vegetables, you're not going to put on weight, no matter whose diet you're talking about. I'm not against counting calories or carbs, just noting that a general awareness will often do. I'm usually pretty good at knowing what's good and what's bad, although I am occasionally surprised (like when I checked and discovered that a small 16 oz "low fat" shake at McDonald's has about the same number of calories as a Big Mac and more than twice the carbs - ice cream in general is a surprising killer). Oh, and beware the labeling of many foods. Many foods are labeled "low fat" but have tons of carbs, many others are labeled "low carb" but have tons of fat. When I'm being good, I avoid both. As I see it, I can eat half a head of cauliflower, steamed, and it's a whole lot better for me than those smallish "Lean Cuisine" entrees which have a smidgeon of protein (meat or fish) but served over a starch - not many calories but 40+ grams of carbs. I think it's important to realize what foods you can eat and enjoy without putting on weight (again, for me, grilled fish and steamed vegetables, and also salads, although salad dresssings and certain ingredients often make salads less weight-reducing than the category connotes), what foods will put on weight but you can do without (for me, beef and anything fried), and what foods you simply adore and need to minimize your consumption except as an occasional treat/reward (for me, breads, cakes and other desserts, and worst of all, ice cream).

What helps? It helps me to weigh myself at the start of every day. I put it into a spreadsheet and can look at a chart (which, BTW, is how I know how much I've gained over the years). It helps me to end every day by thinking about everything I ate during the day, and think about what I'm glad I ate and what items I regret eating. I drink lots of unsweetened or artificially sweetened liquids (diet sodas, diet iced tea) to keep myself feeling full.

I find it also helps to realize that when I eat too much for a day, it's not a reason for giving up; I can be good the next day and get right back into the swing of losing weight. Not that I want to be bad very often, but one day is not going to undo the success I've had. Better to fall down for a day and get right back up, than to use it as an excuse for gaining it all back.

Anyway, all of this is what has worked for me so far. I wish you all the best in your efforts.

Ken, if your next 20,000 posts are as long as this -- you'll have no problem keepin' the pounds off! :wink: :biggrin:

Back