I'm getting ready to look at an NSX...what should I pay extra attention to?

Thanks for all your help! I'm definitely not picking up that one!

Not sure if you are are still looking. But this seem like a reasonably priced automatic with very low mileage. From one of the members here so I am assuming it is well taken care of.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104290

I don't know the history of this car but per the information posted in Archives, there was no accidents or major issues with the car since 2004.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-33916.html

Pay attention to the VIN tags on the body panels, gaps between body panels, oil leaks, and the number one thing is Maintenence History...don't buy one without it.

Looked at that 91 auto in Nashville last year, it was purchased by Sting Ray motors in Mount Juliet, he picked it up from an auction in IN.
Cosmetically looks ok, mechanically it was in awful shape.
The current owner has done nothing to improve on it and has had it listed on craigslist for as high as 29k.Stay well clear.

Quote from the NSX performance portfolio
"As well as the normal P-R-N-D-2-1 there's m for manual - slot the gear into this mode and, by using a paddle mounted on the left of the steering column the NSX's pilot can electronically shift gears.----however, anyone approaching the car with the idea of enjoying an automated manual gearbox---will be disappointed for in this instance what you've got is nothing but a 4 speed auto with a manual up and down shift capability.

This version was known as the NSX-T, F-MATIC.

Looked at that 91 auto in Nashville last year, it was purchased by Sting Ray motors in Mount Juliet, he picked it up from an auction in IN.
Cosmetically looks ok, mechanically it was in awful shape.
The current owner has done nothing to improve on it and has had it listed on craigslist for as high as 29k.Stay well clear.

The current owner was dishonest about the whole situation. He said he was owner #3...Alice Cooper, someone titled it in Mt. Juliet, then him. It's been titled 12 times. He also said there was one minor front end collision. In reality there were two front end collisions...the second one totaled the car. When I brought this to his attention, he replied "Oh yeah, I know."

I did learn that I do not fit in the NSX when I looked at it. I'm 6'2" and I need about another 4-6 inches of headroom in this car...do the newer ones offer more headroom? How about the models with the removable top? (They'd have lots of headroom!)

I've always liked the way the NSX looks but I didn't have any idea they could be had for the mid 20k range. His CL posting got me interested. I'd love to find a way to fit in one!

To everyone who has posted here, thank you for all your help! This has been a super helpful forum!

I own an automatic and love it. I bought the car BECAUSE it was an automatic. It is now my ONLY car and I have owned it for over five years. If you want an NSX as a weekend car or garage queen, go ahead and get the manual. If you want the car to drive frequently or daily, get the automatic, I highly recommend it. The only bad thing about an automatic is all the trash talk you will get online, never once in real life have I had anyone come up to me and say, "Your car really sucks because it is an automatic."

This reminds me of the "manual steering is better" assertion. They only say it is better because they don't have power steering. If all NSXes had power steering it would never come up. Also be aware that the early manual cars don't have power steering but the automatic does.

I agree that if you are 6'2" you will be unhappy with the NSX. I am right at six feet and I consider myself max height for the car. Those owners taller than I am replace the driver's side seat cushion with one that is cut down, to gain about an inch of headroom.

Back