Idle problem due to cleaning.

Hi All
Just wondering if anybody can help :smile:.
Cleaned my throtte body with carb clean it was very dirty but after I put it back together started it up it now idles at 1500 RPM took for a drive thinking it would get back to normal but nothing changed.
Any info much Appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.

Hi All
Just wondering if anybody can help :smile:.
Cleaned my throtte body with carb clean it was very dirty but after I put it back together started it up it now idles at 1500 RPM took for a drive thinking it would get back to normal but nothing changed.
Any info much Appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.

Idle adjustment screw? try searching I think their is allot of topics on adjusting idle

Take it back apart and make sure the throttle plate is closing properly. Also make sure the IAC passage is clear and didn't get clogged up when you cleaned the throttle body.

Another thing to check is the idle control solenoid. This kicks up the idle when the AC is turned on. Make sure it is connected and functioning properly.

You either clogged a vaccuum line or pulled one off during reassembly. I take it the engine was running/idling correctly when you stopped spraying the carb cleaner and shut it off for reassembly. If that's the case, you probably did something in your reassembly to cause it. Good Luck!

OK, please describe your cleaning process, as in, what did you disassemble on the TB?

Ok didnt remove the TB just sprayed the TB with carb cleaner was carefull not to open the butterfly.
Just wiped the TB clean.Put the Air Box back on and started it.
Thats when the idle is up to 1500 RPM:eek:.
Plan on removeing the TB and cleaning again.

Maybe......there is some dirt remaining from the cleaning that is holding the throttle plate slightly open, or there is a vacuum leak on one of the numerous hoses around the throttle body.

If you can take a few pics around the area and post them. I assume you do not have any CEL, correct?

Regards,
LarryB

Hi Larry
Didnt remove TB just cleaned everything again and checked if butterfly staying open everything seems all ok not sure what i did wrong.
I started her up again still the same:mad: i should of left it alone.

Throtle body 2.jpgThrottle Body 1.jpg

And thanks for everybodys help.:smile:

Did you clean the throttle body behind the throttle plate? That area needs to be as clean as the area in front of the plate.

Where the throttle cable connects there looks like cruddy buildup all over the springs. Spray that area off (put a rag under it to catch the crud) and make sure it's operating smoothly. Then take some carb cleaner (with the tube on the nozzle) and remove the vaccuum lines one at a time and spray into those (going into the TB) to clear them. If it was operating OK before the cleaning, chances are something got clogged or is sticking. Good Luck!

Back