• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

IAT gauge: can you use a water temp gauge for it?

I want my gauges to match and I am wondering if I can use a water temperature gauge to monitor IAT since they are roughly the same range. Has anyone done this? what are you guys using to monitor IAT's other than OBDII readings?

I talked to AEM the guy wasn't sure...

- - - Updated - - -

I've only found this:

dual_iat_dd_52mm_picture.jpg

http://prosportgauges.com/dual-intercooler-air-temperature-gauge.aspx

But it seems you'd want to have a peak hold or data logging meter not some gauge you have to stare at under full boost.

Last edited:
I work on control systems for build automation and hvacr systems. 99% of the time a temperature sensor is just a thermistor. A resistor that changes the resistance value (ohms) when the temperature of it changes. Higher temperature lowers the ohm value. All you would need to do is find an air temperature sensor with the same range as the water temperature sensor that comes with the water gauge you want to use. Most sensors for hvacr are rated at a certain ohm value at 70 degrees f. Most are 10k ohms at 70 degrees. I don't know if this is the same for automotive industry or not. It would be quite easy and I would be more than willing to help you out if you have any more questions.

mixing and matching sensors and gauges can be a potential pita. it's the calibration you need to worry about. it is highly advisable you go with a sensor that the gauge manufacturer recommends to use. most of these will send 0-5volts.

The output of the what ever reads the resistance will probably be a signal but that device will read an ohm value for temperature which is what Turbo is looking to do. It would be simple as checking the range of the water temperature sensor and finding a sensor for air with the same range and switching the water thermistor for the air thermistor and the same water gauge will display the air temperature. Normally air temperature sensors are much faster acting, smaller thermal mass which makes it respond faster. Air has a lot less thermal density then liquid at the same temperature. So I would not try to use the same sensor that comes with it because it will not respond to the changes as fast as you would want.

Well I am not trying to change sensors. I will use the temp sensor that comes with the water temp. Gauge. Why can't that same sensor for air is what I am asking. That sensor and gauge are calibrated together.

I did a lot of research and gave this a lot of thought including how ultimately I will use it and how it will look in my dash. I really was torn between zeitronix and stack but ultimately for the functionality and look I wanted I went with STACK. I was really wanting to go through ddozier as he is such a great guy but I just liked the stack better by too much of a margin. So everything is on its way to me but the IAT remains an issue.

I think we're all confused by what you're asking. I know I am...

Are you asking...Can you use a water temp sensor as an IAT sensor? If so, they are totally different. Fluid sensors is different than air sensors. I am not aware of them being interchangeable though i'm sure, as Shaylord has said, the low level internals are likely the same thermistor.

Sorry. What I am asking is... can I just buy a complete water temp gauge, sensor and all.... and instead of plumbing its sensor into coolant, plumb it into the intake tract and make it work. Is that crazy? I mean temp is temp, right? what difference does it make if it is air running over it or water. Are the coolant sensors unpractical to mount into a manifold?

Sorry. What I am asking is... can I just buy a complete water temp gauge, sensor and all.... and instead of plumbing its sensor into coolant, plumb it into the intake tract and make it work. Is that crazy? I mean temp is temp, right? what difference does it make if it is air running over it or water. Are the coolant sensors unpractical to mount into a manifold?

Yes it will read temps but a water sensor will have a larger thermal mass, so it will not respond as fast as a air temperature sensor which is normally has a much smaller thermal mass. IE there is more btu's in the same weight of water at the same temp vs. air. Water sensors are normally larger/thicker etc. So it will not respond/ show a changing in you IAT as fast as a smaller sensor made for air. And I am assuming you want realtime temp of your IAT not a delay due to the mass of the sensor. But yet it would work, just wont work the way you want it too.

I see. OK... Regan what are you using?

Back