I just had an epiphany...wrist watches are obsolete

Watches will never go obsolete.
I been wearing a watch since i was 8 or 9. Mickey mouse watch and a Casio digital watch in the late 70's.
Now in 2008, i still wear Casio watches (G-Shocks)
I got into buying nice automatic watches in the 90's.
I appreciate the brand history behind the watch. so i want to own a piece of history by buying what they make, just like the Honda NSX.
I could of bought a porsche 911 but instead i bought a nsx cuz i wanted the exclusivity of owning a rare and outstanding automobile.

There is no right or wrong answer to owning a watch.
I personally have a love to own a nice time piece even it is a Casio G shocks or Breitlings.

My point is only this.

Watches are obsolete.

People collect Bowie knives too....and all sorts of other useless crap.

It will be worth something to other collectors.

The rest of society will move on.
:biggrin:

I personally like watches...I hope they integrate the cell phone back into the watch and revitalize it.

Wristwatches are like the Man's wedding ring past down generations but that's just me.

medusa, I agree with you.

In terms of telling time, one can use a cell phone in place of a watch. I'm not going to argue with that.

People are always changing cell phones, because they become obsolete over time. However, nothing can replace the Patek that was given to me by my father, which is probably worth many times its original price tag now.

I recently bought a used fine watch, held on to it for a year, and sold it on ebay for twice the amount I originally paid for. Don't think you will ever see that happen for a cell phone.

My watch collection is still growing, and its going to find its way into the hands of my children some day, and I'm sure they'll appreciate it just as much as I did.

Well, the NSX is obsolete by today's standards too but we sure all love them.

Did that make any sense?? :)

I think if you could go a 100 years into the future you'd see everyone still using wrist watches, and even more oddly, some throw-back happy meals will probably still come with Swatches and Casios, leftover from the 1980's. :)

I think if you could go a 100 years into the future you'd see everyone still using wrist watches

I don't see everyone wearing them now. In a very quick very informal poll, I checked with the five other people in my office, and of the six of us two are currently wearing watches.

I think wrist watches will eventually go the way of pocket watches -- some people will have them, but they will seem rather quaint and old-fashioned.

I wear a plastic watch many would consider a POS on my wrist at all times. It has multi-functions which I use all the time, and it cost about 20 bucks at wallymart. In fact, I found this thread right in the middle of using the stopwatch to time an employee (relax, I’m not a ballbreaker).:smile:
I put on my Cartier and I feel deprived. It doesn’t have a light, it feels uncomfortable, I worry about scratching it.
Anyway, the habit of wearing one is too ingrained to stop, now. If I forget to wear it, it becomes one of those things that will drive you nuts, like sitting and not feeling the lump of your wallet under your butt. You know something’s wrong.
Plus, not that I’m complaining because it’s not a big deal, but non watch-wearers are always asking me for the time.
Now it’s time for me to go out and for the first time pay attention to how many out there are wearing watches.

Everyone who knows watches can tell you that the digital variant will always be more accurate than the mechanical kind.

There are always going to be a few that are passionate about watches, and those who are not.

I for one care about the movement of the watch, the complications and materials used to make the watch. To me a fine hand crafted watch is a piece of art. It's not just about telling time.

Every year Baselworld has concept watches with new and innovative movements. As far as I can tell the industry is not slowing down yet, and you continue to see a lot of money thrown at celebrities to market the "entry-level" fine watches.

I don't know how you can claim obsolescence of something that is often used when a cell phone "time check" would be inappropriate.

When I'm in a meeting, I don't want to have to pull out a cell phone and check the time. It's a little too obvious. I can instead casually rotate my wrist and see the time. I can check the time without really appearing to do anything. It's much more discreet than checking a cell phone.

For people that aren't professionals (ie, white collar workers), a watch may not be as necessary or even, as you said, obsolete. I just know that if I'm sitting in a meeting with the VP or something, there's no way I'm going to pull out a cell phone while he's talking. I won't even bring it with me to the meeting...

I stopped wearing a watch years ago as well, but I wear my iPhone on a belt clip, so I just press the sleep/wake button to see the time.

Still not discreet enough for a meeting, though.

I wear a watch as jewelry and when flying an airplane because it’s important for me to know which is my left hand right away without having to think about it, I am dyslexic. I really don't need one to tell time, I just seem to know what time it is.

Last edited:
I have over 60 watches...

It is a hobby and a collection for me. My collection spans everything from Casio and Seiko to Omega and Panerai. They are both jewelry and a vital tool for my work.

Unfortunately everything that a physician writes or signs MUST be timed AND dated thanks to the litigious atmosphere that is the reality of modern medicine.

It would be quite annoying to have to whip out my phone for every inpatient progress note, operative note, and dictation which could be well over 50 times in a day.

Furthermore I find that there is something special about precision mechanical automatic watch movements. Especially those that have open casebacks or dials where you can see all the springs and gears that keep the mechanisms moving. I'm not talking about the battery powered quartz watches but rather those that are powered by manual winding or by kinetic motion. I think its like being able to peer into an engine in motion.

invictaSkelBack.jpg

InvictaSilvSkelLight.jpg

32DegreeReflex8.jpg

32degreeArctic7.jpg

P.S. One day I will own a Richard Mille watch... one day...

A watch is the only accessory a man wears. A cell phone and a casio can tell time too. But it is not a beautiful accessory.

Same thing goes for cars - a Corolla can take you from Point A to Point B. I don't most of getting rid of our NSX's for a Corolla.

I am a pathetic collection of watches. But, I still like them.

What about a wife? :D

Not sure if you are married, but if you are, go over to your wife right now and tell her that she is a beautiful accessory to you like a nice wristwatch. Let us know what she says or which shoe she throws at you. :biggrin:

Not sure if you are married, but if you are, go over to your wife right now and tell her that she is a beautiful accessory to you like a nice wristwatch. Let us know what she says or which shoe she throws at you. :biggrin:

I'm married. I'll tell her when I talk to her tonight (I'm 6000 miles away, on business) and see what she says. Seriously. It'll be interesting. :D Updates to follow in nine or ten hours....

I'm betting that she'll take it as a compliment since, while she provides a valuable service and has a number of major impact roles (mother, wife, helper, friend, etc, etc), she's also great to look at and enjoy for purely aesthetic and mechanical reasons. ;) She's obviously way more involved and involving than a wristwatch but I don't think she'll mind the implication that, at times, her appearance / looks are more important than how well she cleans the house or washes the dishes.

Jonathon,

Where are the hotties pics from Argentina? Btw, you sure seem to be surfing the net ALOT for somebody that is supposed to be working.:wink:

Jonathon,

Where are the hotties pics from Argentina? Btw, you sure seem to be surfing the net ALOT for somebody that is supposed to be working.:wink:

I'm constantly online doing Spanish-to-English translations to try and figure out what drawing titles and design notes mean. I take a break every hour, at least, just to clear my mind a bit. If I didn't, these 12 and 14 hour days would reduce me to a muttering fool (as opposed to just a fool). :D

No hotties here where I am - they're all in Buenos Aires...

Back