I can believe people in for sale forum trying to get clean title prices for salvaged

For the record I welded an nsx rail and tried to pull it apart I was trying to see if my welds would hold up,, 10 tons of pressure and my cut and Paste frame rail held strong strong eoungh where it started to rip the factory welds apart before mine! Happy camper if u know what ur doing their should be no problem

Pulling a weld apart is a good way to check tensile strength and weld penetration.

To play the devil's advocate individual weld strength does not mean the designed form and function of a assembly has or has not been restored.
It just show you can do good welds which, of course, is very important.

if salvage title cars can get 55 to 60 then some clear title owners should start asking 85 to 90k for clear title imo of course, lets keep the values of these cars up thru the moon

if salvage title cars can get 55 to 60 then some clear title owners should start asking 85 to 90k for clear title imo of course, lets keep the values of these cars up thru the moon

Sounds like a great idea! If you don't mind waiting until after I've bought one, of course. :)

thanks for all the support guys there are few of us like Macninja that

Love the car not the money. I learned alot, had fun rebuilding it, and now I rebuilding another one. and another NSX on the way.

I was picky, if you read thru my threads, if I didnt like something I took it back, or took it to another mech to do the job I liked.

I researched and was told by others to find someone that knows the NSX and has had years of welding alum.

I also know if you heat alum it becomes brittle and you hit it with a hammer and instead of making a dent it will make a hole. I personally banged a dent every few inches on my 2004 to test for the strength of the alum. if I made even one hole I would have purchased a new frame rail from the dealership/ or found a wreck that had that side I needed.
not one part of my fire damage was brittle, I then had the body guys test every part fo the car on the fire damaged side dont ask me what they did to test it I am not sure but they said it was fine.

talking to the 1st owner of my 2004 he told me the car was smoking for a long time as it was contained in the engine glass "no air no heat no flame"
he told me when the fire dept which was 2 blocks away smashed the rear window thats when you could see the fire " it was now given the air it needed to ignite. so my 2004 fire burned for about a minute when they smashed the glass they already had the fire hose pointed at the engine.
they smashed the glass and pulled the water trigger.

I lucked out getting this one as it was like others have said a special case.

some people in this biz have said that they have seen cars come thru their shop with clean titles and look like shit.

I hope my 2004 sells for close to what I am asking cuz if it doesnt I will keep driving it.
hummm what color do i drive today kinda thing. I have a new baby on the way and I am being forced to buy an SUV, I am also being pushed to get the new land rovers , what the wife wants she gets. but I dont want the
headache of an SUV that I wouldnt want to drive to the store with the 50% chance your gonna need a new transmission when get home.

sorry I am ranting now I will stop :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'm also working on bringing back one to life project. I guess it depends on the extent of the damage to the aluminum chassis/frame. I've seen NSX salvaged for the sheer value on their estimated repair, as opposed to possible other means of repair such as buying parts off a place like NSXPrime.

No one complains about a frame restoration car from the '60 or '70's I can't see why a 91+ NSX would be any different? If it has been repaired correctly by skilled people & certified by the pros it should be fine. Everyone still thinks Aluminum makes it something of a black sheep of the Acura/Honda line up... sure maybe 20yrs ago but today more and more cars are made from aluminum and or composite materials to make them lighter and stronger.

At least here in Ontario Canada the frame must be inspect step by step thru the repair process by MTO sanctioned inspection personnel before given the all clear to be put back on the road. Not sure what its like in different States but it seems to vary State to State.

Key is documentation and history accompanying it just like Cairo94507 explained a few posts ago. I've seen cars that were theft recoveries for seats being stolen, and the car carries a salvage title. From what I've seen to the guys doing it here on a public forum is the cars are here for everyone to see. Previous damage is shown, and repair process step by step to the end which leaves nothing hidden or something not disclosed.

If you don't agree with the 'Salvage' title, then quite simply you can pass and go on to something else. Anything can be repaired with the right person willing to commit to it. At the end of the day its all about the time and money spent on said project that makes it or breaks it. Some people never recover the time they took to make something as 'right' as possible again. Some call it a labour or love... some others call it insanity? :wink:

My $.02

Last edited:
I have a question here then about this:

I know there are many good Salvage titled cars here, where the cars look great, but then as someone coming for their first NSX, one who may not be as knowledgeable (anywhere near) as a lot of the guys here, is it still alright to go with a salvage title?

For instance, the most I do would be to take it in for servicing when it needs to go (I have a reputable mechanic), but other than that, I don't know much about it...so with that in mind, is it still worth while to look at salvage titled cars? I'm assuming, if done properly, there shouldn't actually be a difference except for peace of mind or something, right?

if the car checks out PPI wise from an "certified NSX mech" then yeah its worth it.

I wouldnt take an NSX to "joe's tracker and tire shop" for an inspection though LOL

only someone that has worked on NSX's before and is certifed by honda.

well said.

I'm also working on bringing back one to life project. I guess it depends on the extent of the damage to the aluminum chassis/frame. I've seen NSX salvaged for the sheer value on their estimated repair, as opposed to possible other means of repair such as buying parts off a place like NSXPrime.

No one complains about a frame restoration car from the '60 or '70's I can't see why a 91+ NSX would be any different? If it has been repaired correctly by skilled people & certified by the pros it should be fine. Everyone still thinks Aluminum makes it something of a black sheep of the Acura/Honda line up... sure maybe 20yrs ago but today more and more cars are made from aluminum and or composite materials to make them lighter and stronger.

At least here in Ontario Canada the frame must be inspect step by step thru the repair process by MTO sanctioned inspection personnel before given the all clear to be put back on the road. Not sure what its like in different States but it seems to vary State to State.

Key is documentation and history accompanying it just like Cairo94507 explained a few posts ago. I've seen cars that were theft recoveries for seats being stolen, and the car carries a salvage title. From what I've seen to the guys doing it here on a public forum is the cars are here for everyone to see. Previous damage is shown, and repair process step by step to the end which leaves nothing hidden or something not disclosed.

If you don't agree with the 'Salvage' title, then quite simply you can pass and go on to something else. Anything can be repaired with the right person willing to commit to it. At the end of the day its all about the time and money spent on said project that makes it or breaks it. Some people never recover the time they took to make something as 'right' as possible again. Some call it a labour or love... some others call it insanity? :wink:

My $.02

you forgot to mention yourself and mac :)

if the car checks out PPI wise from an "certified NSX mech" then yeah its worth it.

I wouldnt take an NSX to "joe's tracker and tire shop" for an inspection though LOL

only someone that has worked on NSX's before and is certifed by honda.

I really want to see this car since I live so close. The fact that the car was not in an accident and restored properly I think the right buyer would pay 50k. You can't find many nice 02+ for that price. I actually was interested in buying it when he was fixing it. That is when I bought my Nsx. When I asked he said he wanted 60k so I passed. I would have definately considered buying it for close to 50k. I looked for a long time and I liked the idea of bringing able to see the car in person. The fact I had to buy a plane ticket and drive my car home added to the cost. Most of the cars for sale seemed to be in California. Yes it's salvaged but when looking for 02+ there are not many to choose from and if the paint is as good as Shawn claims this will be a nice car

at the end of the day some of us like to drive a nice car and some just like to have a piece of paper thats all

Huh? Hmmmm.

At the end of the day some of us like to drive a piece to get the paper.:smile:

Wait, wait. Nope. That's wrong.:redface:

At the end of the day some of us drive a pieced together paper car.:eek:

Nope, nope. That's not it either.:confused:

I got it!

At the end of the day some would rather have a piece than read the paper.

YEAH. THAT"S IT! :biggrin:

at the end of the day some of us like to drive a nice car and some just like to have a piece of paper thats all

Most of us know that when you sell a salvage title car, you need to discount the price by a significant amount. Why pay full price to get one with a branded title? Makes no sense to me. It's all about the resale value, not whether you drive your car or not.

Back