• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

HyTech NA Engine kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HyTech is considering developing a NA engine kit for the NSX. We wanted to test the waters and see what the feedback would be from the NSX community before we launched into a big project like this.

The kit would consist of a header, exhaust. ECU, cams, valve train, and Induction system. By developing everything under one roof at HyTech. We will be able to pull the maximum power out of the motor.

We have successfully done this with the S2000 while no one else was able to make much of an improvement we pulled 200 lbs of torque and 283 whp with a stock long block. We have also done this with the K series motors as well. 50 whp gains with just bolt ons.

With the new technology we have on hand today we should be able to make sizable gains with the NSX V6.

If we decide to go ahead we will need a donor car to make the prototypes and if anyone has an engine we can use for mock ups that will help move things along more quickly. For your assistance we will offer free of charge the parts we will develop.

I can be reach at [email protected]

Thanks
John

John,
If you need a donor/test car, mine is avail. and its a 93.
Tim

Last edited:
you forgot to mention that the base is on church's dynopack which reads ridiculous high. from 175.9 lbs & 238.9 hp to 200.5 lbs & 283.1 hp and it had a ITB. how can a stock ap2 s2000 read 175 162 lb/ft? there is no way to make 283whp with stock internal on ap2.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/780290-hytech-headers-and-na-engine-package/

The reason I use the Dynapak is because it is more repeatable compared to a roller dyno. There is no issue with wheel slip. So we eliminate a possible issue that will give us bad numbers. I don't really care what the peak numbers are, we look at the comparison from stock to modified on the same dyno. Whether the dyno's read high or low is just a number. Dose it read on the high side most likely compare to some roller dyno's. But they will all read differently. The engine dyno plots do not look anything like the chassis dyno plots. It is just a tool that we use to base our modifications on. The dyno I posted shows both the stock runs and the finished runs on the same dyno. So you can see the difference in torque and power. When we do the NSX we will do it the same way.

Ok, I'll put new (new) two cents in.....
I own a body shop and we won 26 paint awards last year. My car only won 4 total between last year and two shows this year.
PROBLEM..... We are not a tuner shop but a body and custom paint shop so while H/P is nice I need more "bling." I know, ole' fashion term. A twin turbo is nice but hidden. At least the SOS one is. The supercharger is just "too common."
ITB's, polished aluminum best, would put the eye candy out there and give 50 more H/P (hopefully).
Of course there are some made out there from $7,500 – to about $13K. At those prices the twin turbo at around $12K complete would make more sense.
I was ready to drop $4K on the SOS ITB’s but after they reeducated me that this was not the complete kit price I am in doubt now. I then looked up the TODA ITB’s at $13K way to much for a little H/P and bling.
Well, John, those are my thoughts….
Feel free to contact me any time….

subscribed. As stated I think the biggest detractor for NA power is the $/hp. I would love to have a stroker NA 3.8L motor, but it's just not practical given the cost to build that motor. However I think it would be awesome to drive. Money no object, that's probably what I would build.

As an FYI, the NSX owner whose car isn't running (and is located in Lake Forest) who contacted John about offering his car as a test-fitment-car, please contact John again. His computer crashed recently.

The reason I use the Dynapak is because it is more repeatable compared to a roller dyno. There is no issue with wheel slip. So we eliminate a possible issue that will give us bad numbers. I don't really care what the peak numbers are, we look at the comparison from stock to modified on the same dyno. Whether the dyno's read high or low is just a number. Dose it read on the high side most likely compare to some roller dyno's. But they will all read differently. The engine dyno plots do not look anything like the chassis dyno plots. It is just a tool that we use to base our modifications on. The dyno I posted shows both the stock runs and the finished runs on the same dyno. So you can see the difference in torque and power. When we do the NSX we will do it the same way.

Years ago (in 2003?!) when Dynapak was first being imported to USA I stopped by Dynapak's office in Fresno to test it... IMO Dynapak is hardly repeatable. EVERY RUN was different. Dynapak staff claimed this was because it was so "sensitive"... As far as repeat-ability I rather be on a trusty DynoJet 240C any time. To me the value of Dynapak lies else where... but NOT how repeatable it is/was.

Last edited:
subscribed. As stated I think the biggest detractor for NA power is the $/hp. I would love to have a stroker NA 3.8L motor, but it's just not practical given the cost to build that motor. However I think it would be awesome to drive. Money no object, that's probably what I would build.

It used to be very expensive, simply because there wasn't enough volume. The NSX is 20 years old now, and now people are more accepting to modifying the internals of the engine now days. For those of you that don't know me, I'm a hardcore B16A guy since its inception in 1988/1989. I used to own the domain b16a.com. B16A is legendary and it was developed at the same time, perhaps even slightly earlier than the C30A DOHC VTEC. B series engines have been massively developed in the USA thanks for drag racing. The little B16A in my del Sol is a JDM 10.4 CR block. The head was never off the block. When I was making a cam profile for it few years ago in 2006 ish I cracked 190 whp. Head is 100% stock Honda casting. I'll dig post the dyno sheet later. If we examine the NSX with the same high standard as its little brother B16A, then I fully expect a factory C30A to hit 100 whp per liter easily, and hit 120 whp per liter moderately built. This means 300 whp for bolt on's, and 360 whp for high compression and fully race prepped head. Now I'm not saying C30A will respond to modifications as well as B16A have. But if we have the same expectations, 300-360 whp is reasonable IMO.

C30A all motor development is very limited. Comptech used to have the cams for it but they wanted to charge way too much and thus very few people ever build the C30A up all motor. Comptech SC is a huge commercial success and I'd wager they sold hundreds and hundreds of kits and I would not be shocked if it total sales hits 4 figures. It is a very solid product.

I just baseline dyno our 1991 NA1 (Comptech SC low boost) yesterday and it started at 360 whp 258 whp and after I check the tune and make a few tiny changes it is now 368 whp and 263 ft-lbs on DynoJet 240C.

We might look into developing the C30A as I'm highly interested in its potential naturally aspirated as well... I guess we'll see about that as I look into this further!!!

Last edited:
HyTech is considering developing a NA engine kit for the NSX. We wanted to test the waters and see what the feedback would be from the NSX community before we launched into a big project like this.

The kit would consist of a header, exhaust. ECU, cams, valve train, and Induction system. By developing everything under one roof at HyTech. We will be able to pull the maximum power out of the motor.

We have successfully done this with the S2000 while no one else was able to make much of an improvement we pulled 200 lbs of torque and 283 whp with a stock long block. We have also done this with the K series motors as well. 50 whp gains with just bolt ons.

With the new technology we have on hand today we should be able to make sizable gains with the NSX V6.

If we decide to go ahead we will need a donor car to make the prototypes and if anyone has an engine we can use for mock ups that will help move things along more quickly. For your assistance we will offer free of charge the parts we will develop.

I can be reach at [email protected]

Thanks
John

Looking forward.

Hytech is great stuff!!! Glad you're considering developing for this platform John!

from what i've heard from an owner of a Jon Martin 3.8L stroked NA2, the max the motor can go would be 3.78. Any more and the walls would be too thin.

Last edited:
It used to be very expensive, simply because there wasn't enough volume. The NSX is 20 years old now, and now people are more accepting to modifying the internals of the engine now days. For those of you that don't know me, I'm a hardcore B16A guy since its inception in 1988/1989. I used to own the domain b16a.com. B16A is legendary and it was developed at the same time, perhaps even slightly earlier than the C30A DOHC VTEC. B series engines have been massively developed in the USA thanks for drag racing. The little B16A in my del Sol is a JDM 10.4 CR block. The head was never off the block. When I was making a cam profile for it few years ago in 2006 ish I cracked 190 whp. Head is 100% stock Honda casting. I'll dig post the dyno sheet later. If we examine the NSX with the same high standard as its little brother B16A, then I fully expect a factory C30A to hit 100 whp per liter easily, and hit 120 whp per liter moderately built. This means 300 whp for bolt on's, and 360 whp for high compression and fully race prepped head. Now I'm not saying C30A will respond to modifications as well as B16A have. But if we have the same expectations, 300-360 whp is reasonable IMO.

C30A all motor development is very limited. Comptech used to have the cams for it but they wanted to charge way too much and thus very few people ever build the C30A up all motor. Comptech SC is a huge commercial success and I'd wager they sold hundreds and hundreds of kits and I would not be shocked if it total sales hits 4 figures. It is a very solid product.

I just baseline dyno our 1991 NA1 (Comptech SC low boost) yesterday and it started at 360 whp 258 whp and after I check the tune and make a few tiny changes it is now 368 whp and 263 ft-lbs on DynoJet 240C.

We might look into developing the C30A as I'm highly interested in its potential naturally aspirated as well... I guess we'll see about that as I look into this further!!!

The cams will make good power but the key will be adjustable cam gears. Is there enough space to adjust the cam gears while on the dyno?

yeah, NSX engine compartment is kinda PITA to work on... adjusting cam gears on rear bank is gonna be super hard, if at all possible. probably the best way is to make a little drive train structure and use a dynapack to tune it!! then put the motor back in. heh.

398409_10150629828640358_646835357_11526565_2092023478_n.jpg

I guess maybe you are wondering about heat soak? The car was fully warmed up so, the numbers were extremely repeatable... you can see:

424847_10150629839680358_646835357_11526668_1704833164_n.jpg

My buddy that operated the dyno (Dave, owner of DNR) tends to not worry about low end (he's a drag racer) too much so he usually starts at 4000-4500 rpm... I usually like to start at 2000 rpm and pull through and I always use the same starting point... just a note. Also, the peak # varied slightly because power peak is at the top... and not all the pulls were past 8000 rpm.

Last edited:
398409_10150629828640358_646835357_11526565_2092023478_n.jpg

I guess maybe you are wondering about heat soak? The car was fully warmed up so, the numbers were extremely repeatable... you can see:

424847_10150629839680358_646835357_11526668_1704833164_n.jpg

My buddy that operated the dyno (Dave, owner of DNR) tends to not worry about low end (he's a drag racer) too much so he usually starts at 4000-4500 rpm... I usually like to start at 2000 rpm and pull through and I always use the same starting point... just a note. Also, the peak # varied slightly because power peak is at the top... and not all the pulls were past 8000 rpm.

whats first product to be developed here after the baseline dyno?

We (AKMEE) haven't committed to do any NSX development yet... we're just having tons of fun with the car on a personal level. I'm very intrigued about doing an all motor C30A though, at least on a personal level so I will be taking a closer look wtih my engineer later this year.

I wrote Hytech earlier and asked about their NSX header availability, and they replied

Yes they are in the works we are probably about 2 to 3 months away from a finsihed product.

Thanks

:eek:

Last edited:
I wrote Hytech earlier and asked about their NSX header availability, and they replied

:eek:

Don't hold your breath. John often gets busy and his delivery dates are usually not accurate. :-) I'll believe it when I see it. But I'm sure they will be bling bling and highly functional when it's done. :-)

Don't hold your breath. John often gets busy and his delivery dates are usually not accurate. :-) I'll believe it when I see it. But I'm sure they will be bling bling and highly functional when it's done. :-)

That's why I'm bumping this thread so more people will "nudge" him to get going in the direction of our beloved NSXs. :wink:

Forget those full race TSXs!

[email protected]

That's why I'm bumping this thread so more people will "nudge" him to get going in the direction of our beloved NSXs. :wink:

Forget those full race TSXs!

[email protected]

Speaking as a current TSX owner (and a future NSX owner), I will argue against this point to my death :wink:.

I currently have a HyTech race header on my TSX and I must give kudos to John and his work. His parts helped me attain 350whp/267wtq on a stock K24a2...

When I find the right NSX, I'll definitely be fitting as many HyTech parts as there are available.

Speaking as a current TSX owner (and a future NSX owner), I will argue against this point to my death :wink:.

I currently have a HyTech race header on my TSX and I must give kudos to John and his work. His parts helped me attain 350whp/267wtq on a stock K24a2...

When I find the right NSX, I'll definitely be fitting as many HyTech parts as there are available.

Holy f**k! 350 wHP? That's on an NA K24? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back