How is you low compression rebuild holding up?

How many miles do you have on it now?
What kind of FI are you running on it?
How much boost are you running?
What is your RWHP?
Is you engine build sleeved or just pistons?
Who rebuilt you engine?

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a turbo system and would like to hear how other people's systems are doing.

Thanks,
Wayne

What is your RWHP?
Who rebuilt you engine?

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a turbo system and would like to hear how other people's systems are doing.

Thanks,
Wayne

8000 miles on the engine
I am running the Cartech kit
16 lbs of boost
509 RWHP on turbo's
engine is sleeved and pistons, block is decked
Gerry Johnson

Hope this helps.

Rob

What is your RWHP?
Who rebuilt you engine?

Thanks,
Wayne

>10,000 miles on engine build
Lovefab turbo kit
15 PSI boost
555 RWHP
Sleeved with Wiseco pistons
built by Jim Elkins and Devin Pearce

Good luck Wayne!

wow after all the headache you're still smoking the crack pipe! go wayne, go! I want a ride if you ever get it all squared away!

How is your engine build different from stock? pistons? anything else?

My car is still painfully stock but running well.I am trying to figure out what kind of a build I will need to run 13-15lbs or 500 rwhp. How has you car been running?

22,000 miles
low comp pistons
possibly sleeved( never did get an answer on this as it was done before i bought the car)
bbsc 8.5 psi
383 whp
mark basch

9800 miles at 550+ whp
LoveFab GT4294R turbo system
16psi street, 24psi race
608whp street, 771whp race
sleeved, wiseco pistons, Oliver TI rods
Jim Elkins-assembled motor

In-car video at 16psi...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q1K8lpwjHJQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q1K8lpwjHJQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I noticed no one gave what compression they are running.
9:1 JE Pistons
How many miles do you have on it now? 500
What kind of FI are you running on it? 2.3 Whipple 4" x 13" x 4" IC
How much boost are you running? Planning on 17 to 19 Hit 29PSI on first dyno so I’m turning down my sleeved crank pulley to reduce the PSI
What is your RWHP? TBD guessing 400 plus
Is you engine build sleeved or just pistons? Darton Pro Sleeves
Who rebuilt you engine? Local Burtonsville machine shop

I cannot believe how the lovefab goes through the RPM's in that video. amazing.

~55,000 miles on engine build
25,000 WITH after cooled BBSC @ 9.5 PSI and 400 rwhp and split second box tuned by Devin Pearce
30,000 WITH Lovefab turbo kit @ 13.5 PSI boost and AEM MLS tuned by Devin Pearce to 498 RWHP
Darton Pro Siamese Sleeved with JE pistons @ 9.5/1

built by Jim Elkins and Devin Pearce

You are correct, there is such a thing as too much power for street use.

However, in the above video I was targeting 16psi in every gear.

With three keystrokes of my trusty laptop, I can have wonderful traction in any gear I choose - or conversely, destroy tires in any gear I choose. I love having precise control over the power that I can put to the ground. Lately I prefer shredding tires because it makes for interesting customer-rides ;)

Back to the thread topic, lets hear how some other builds are holding up!

We recently built one of our stage 1 forced induction engines (factory sleeves with forged pistons and some other tricks) for our test car to observe limits of the factory sleeve. The car has over 500 trouble free miles and the power level is above 580 crank hp. The car has also been testing a custom built Lovefab setup that we will be offering to our customers. The power delivery is unlike anything I've driven before - no lag and smooth smooth power. An NSX transformed!

Wayne - you'll have to stop by for a ride some time.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Hey Chris, I will be there for the Barret Jackson action in Jan. does that offer
go for anyone.I will be there 18th-21st.I plan on coming in to the shop.

How is you low compression rebuild holding up?

Thought I'd lend a hand from the warm NA bench over here.. by helping with the result tally.

Datapoints: 8 NSXes
Mean (average): 13475 miles
Median: (8000+9800)/2 = 8900 miles

Conclusion:

Looks like Woody and Coldhammer through the curve as omitting their results reveals a staggering mean of 5133 miles (hey... could get you to the dyno shop, nsxpo, and back) :biggrin:

We recently built one of our stage 1 forced induction engines (factory sleeves with forged pistons and some other tricks) for our test car to observe limits of the factory sleeve. The car has over 500 trouble free miles and the power level is above 580 crank hp. The car has also been testing a custom built Lovefab setup that we will be offering to our customers. The power delivery is unlike anything I've driven before - no lag and smooth smooth power. An NSX transformed!

Wayne - you'll have to stop by for a ride some time.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Chris, Are you using the stock rods? I am oooooh so tempted to bump up to 550 RWHP. I think that drag racing, tranny wrecking, clutch dumps aside, the rods become a concern at or beyond this HP. Is there a consensus of opinion on stock rod max HP? I have only heard of a couple rods ever failing.

Also, has anyone ever lost a low comp build due to HP related mechanical failure as opposed to tuning issues? IE: bearings, rods, etc..

Well we know that the pistons and oiling are the weak links, so for the engine builders out there, Do you think going forged pistons, changing the oil pump gears, and adding head studs is all that should be needed for the 500-550whp arena?

And would the 3.0l or the 3.2l factory block hold up better?

And yes, I am to considering the move to Turbo from HB-CTSC. (The crack pipe is calling my name, and it wont stop)

Dave

Well we know that the pistons and oiling are the weak links, so for the engine builders out there, Do you think going forged pistons, changing the oil pump gears, and adding head studs is all that should be needed for the 500-550whp arena?

And would the 3.0l or the 3.2l factory block hold up better?

Block is the same. I don't know about doing a limited build but I do know you have to add "Cometic multi-layer steel (MLS) head gaskets" to your list and steel inserts for the head studs at about 500rwhp.

I'm also adding billet mains to the equation.........and if I get going I have another run of them to list for sale.

Block is the same. I don't know about doing a limited build but I do know you have to add "Cometic multi-layer steel (MLS) head gaskets" to your list and steel inserts for the head studs at about 500rwhp.

I'm also adding billet mains to the equation.........and if I get going I have another run of them to list for sale.

I was under the impression the cylinders liners were of a different material in the 3.2l blocks. That is why I asked if one was better than he other for higher HP.

Dave

I was under the impression the cylinders liners were of a different material in the 3.2l blocks. That is why I asked if one was better than he other for higher HP.

Dave

True, but I would think anyone going to the trouble of a low comp motor would re-sleeve the block (I would recommend T sleeve) or I would refer to my previous statement "I don't know about doing a limited build". :smile:

Back