How about Them Cardinals?

Yeah Baby!!!!!
Bandwagon stopped, I jumped on.... ;)
I have thoroughly enjoyed the Championship series this year.
Bring on Boston....

Bedlam in the Louie..
3100300_18_1.jpg

GGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

OK OK- Ill give it to the Cards, they played an amazing series. But DAMN IT!!! The Astros made a mistake by letting Munro pitch yesterday. They should have put Rogers in and it would have been a lock! OH Well! Congrats to all you STL people from a disapointed Houstonian!!! :(

loNfastNSX said:
The Astros made a mistake by letting Munro pitch yesterday.
I disagree. It made perfect sense, but the move does leave room for speculation. Great series. I was at the game yesterday, and it was just nuts with the walk-off homer. Carlos Beltran made himself some serious coin this series. Steinbrener has probably already called his agent. :D The guy was out of his mind. Honestly, it was a series where it's tough for there to be a loser. Houston has some hard nose ball payers who deserve a world series opportunity. Congrats to the Stro's for a good series.

Now, on to Bean Town for the Birds. Slam-a-lama ... Ding Dong!

I really wanted to see Clemens in Boston...very disappointed. Should be a great series though. Best team in baseball VS the toughest.

That was awesome, but we have some tough days ahead of us still. Schilling makes me very nervous and what's up with Johnny Damon's haircut? I thought at first he was that guy from Color Me Badd. :D

Hope it's another good series. Peace.

Attachments

• ph_113028.jpg
    ph_113028.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 185
Pujols makes me nervous. I was hoping that Sox would rather face Astros.
Sox has bad history against Cardinals...

Nevertheless, there will be a lot of runs in this series, and that should be very exciting. I cannot wait to see Pedro hitting a home run against Marquis. Believe it or not, Pedro is a pretty good hitter.

jlindy said:
I thought at first he was that guy from Color Me Badd. :D

Hope it's another good series. Peace.

Ouch.. You still remember Color Me Badd???? :p

TigerNSX said:
I cannot wait to see Pedro hitting a home run against Marquis. Believe it or not, Pedro is a pretty good hitter.
That's were I see an advantage for the Birds. Pitchers that can hit. If the matchups work out, your proficy might end up quite the opposite. Marquis is the best hitting pitcher I have seen in quite some time, and he has serious pop in his bat. All the starting staff can actually hit, and Marquis and Woody are exceptional.

KGP said:
That's were I see an advantage for the Birds. Pitchers that can hit. If the matchups work out, your proficy might end up quite the opposite. Marquis is the best hitting pitcher I have seen in quite some time, and he has serious pop in his bat. All the starting staff can actually hit, and Marquis and Woody are exceptional.

I absolutely agree that Cards have advantages because of this. Their offensive line is already explosive. Thank god, AL won the All Star game so that they are playing 4 games at Fenway..

TigerNSX said:
Thank god, AL won the All Star game so that they are playing 4 games at Fenway..
This was the first year I actually gave a hoot as to who won the all star game. I don't agree with the system, but I like the fact that it makes that game worth something.

Is Pujols really 24 yrs old? He definitely looks much older than my colleagues in their early 30s :eek: :D

TigerNSX said:
Is Pujols really 24 yrs old? He definitely looks much older than my colleagues in their early 30s :eek: :D
Yep, he's a youngster. Albert is a neighbor of a good friend. Treats everyone great. He might be one of the only MLB players that doesn't drink.

Has anyone seen the prices that series tickets are going for? Outrageous! :eek:

Go Cardinals! This was posted by a www.STLToday.com forum user named KennyBoyerFan before game 6 and has been played on the air, emailed to the Cards team members and sent around the internet a few million times. That all said - I still love it even after the fact.

Artical Link

-----------------------------------

NOT TODAY.

Busch Stadium is not our house.

So I will not waste your time this morning talking about the importance of the Cardinals protecting our house in Game 6 of the NLCS. I will not broach the obscenity of seeing Houston players spilling champagne on our living-room carpet.

Busch Stadium is not our house.

It's much more important than that.

It's where many of us watched our first game, caught our first foul ball, begged for our first autograph.

It's where Gibby ruled the mound, where Brock ran like the wind, and where Ozzie made all the folks go crazy.

It's where the El Birdos dominated, where Sutter struck out the last batter of 1982, where Mike Shannon has worked since the joint opened in 1966.

The Ol' Redhead managed there. Stan the Man played his harmonica there. The White Rat led us back to glory there.

This is where Gussie drove the Clydesdales, where Willie McGee tracked down fly balls, where Joaquin Andujar summed up his philosophy of life in one simple word: Youneverknow.

This is where Big Mac smacked No. 70, where Tommy Lawless flipped his bat, where GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY...BRUMMER'S STEALING HOME!!!!!!!

This is where the greatest St. Louis team in Busch Stadium's history performed. That's right, the 2004 Cardinals. They had the best home record, the best record in baseball. Right on that field.

Ted Simmons played there. Kenny Boyer managed there. And a beloved old man in a bright red jacket told a mournful nation why it was good and right to play baseball after Sept. 11.

My friends, Jack Buck's coffin rested on that field. Darryl Kile pitched his last game there. And many of us cannot walk into that stadium without thinking of loved ones who are no longer with us.

Not today.

We don't lose today.

Not against the Houston Astros. Not against a pitcher named Pete Munro. Not against a wild-card team.

Not in Busch Stadium.

No, it's not our house.

It's simply the place where our memories congregate, where our baseball dreams are stored, where the voices of millions of fans and the ghosts of seasons past await their call to arms.

Folks, it's time to wake 'em up.

Last edited:
The Cards have been playing great baseball this year. Too bad the fans there behave like mindless robots, instead of knowledgeable baseball enthusiasts, according to this report which appeared in the New York Times on October 15:

Curtain Calls a Sign of the Times
By LEE JENKINS

ST. LOUIS, Oct. 14 - If Busch Stadium were to be host to a Broadway play, there would be a curtain call after the first act.

If it were the site of a presidential stump speech, the candidate would be interrupted by applause after every syllable.

And if it were ever home to the home run derby, players would expend almost as much energy tipping their helmets as swinging for the fences.

Perhaps the most memorable home run of the past decade was hit here, when Mark McGwire sent a low laser over the left-field wall in 1998 that broke Roger Maris's single-season home run record. In celebration, McGwire lifted his son and pounded his chest and saluted the home crowd, which stood and cheered and asked for more.

They have barely sat down since. Their hands appear fixed in a permanent state of applause. Nowadays, the St. Louis fans do not require a record-breaking home run in exchange for a standing ovation. They do not even need a late-inning home run. Or, for that matter, a meaningful home run.

In Game 1 of the National League Championship Series against Houston, the Cardinals' Albert Pujols hit an opposite-field homer in the first inning and received a curtain call. In Game 1 of their division series, the Cardinals hit five home runs in a rout of the Los Angeles Dodgers, and each one was rewarded with a curtain call. After Mike Matheny slipped a deep fly over the left-field wall to put St. Louis ahead, 7-0, he did not want to salute the crowd for fear of halting the game one more time and showing up his opponent.

"What are you going to do?" said Tony La Russa, the Cardinals' manager. "Tell the fans, 'No, we don't care about you?' "

St. Louis is baseball's ultimate mutual admiration society, a place where fans are known to cook meals for their favorite players and the players sing long-term contracts in part because of their devotion to the fans. So, instead of telling 52,000 people to sit down and shut up, Matheny's teammates pushed him to the top step of the dugout and he sheepishly tipped his cap, as if he were a Little Leaguer begging his parents to quiet down after a two-out walk.

Several Dodgers said they were not bothered by the repeated curtain calls, and the Astros also expressed no concern. Some opposing players actually sounded envious of the encouragement. The Cardinals, although grateful for the support they receive, can at the same time seem a bit embarrassed by all the fans over their every accomplishment. "It got a little awkward," Matheny said.

Curtain calls have traditionally been reserved for game-tying or game-winning home runs, usually in the eighth inning or later. Exceptions are made when a player has hit multiple homers in a game or is reaching a milestone. But at Busch Stadium, the most dramatic gesture has become almost mundane. There is a sense that if Pujols hits a game-ending home run to clinch a trip to the World Series, every citizen in St. Louis will have to stand all night.

It is not as though the city has not had enough home runs to celebrate this year. The Cardinals finished third in the National League with 214, and may have the most powerful lineup in baseball, with Pujols, Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds and Larry Walker. When Walker joined the Cardinals in August in a trade from Colorado, he said he had never received a curtain call in his career. He was promptly treated to a standing ovation in his first at-bat after a strikeout :rolleyes: . Then, to start the playoffs, Walker received two curtain calls in the same game.

"It's kind of like old hat here," Walker said. "I think the word has gotten around. Fans love it and the players don't have any problem with it."

There are times, however, when Busch Stadium's culture of congratulation can be unnerving. Playing for the Mets, Roger Cedeño was even booed after getting hits. In game 1 of the N.L.C.S., he hit a dribbler to first base that scored Edgar Renteria from third. Cedeño was given a standing ovation. He almost did a double take. After the game, he played down the significance of the crowd's reaction, if only because it has become so common.

"They would do the same thing for the bat boy," Cedeño said, laughing.

St. Louis has become a baseball Stepford, too fantastic to be believed. The warm and fuzzy feeling in the stands has rubbed off on the players. After the Cardinals beat the Dodgers in the first round of the playoffs, Walker initiated a gathering in which both teams convened on the field and shook hands, like hockey teams after a round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. The Cardinals did everything but give the Dodgers a curtain call. They were immediately hailed for their sense of sportsmanship.

Then they went home for more pep rallies, standing ovations and round after round of unrelenting applause. No one in St. Louis, it seems, is ready to close the curtain.

Strange first two games. Lots of errors and lots of runs.

Both teams are strong at their home fields. 3 games at St. Louis will be interesting. Can't wait to see how Pedro would be at the bat.

TigerNSX said:
Strange first two games. Lots of errors and lots of runs.

Both teams are strong at their home fields.
Here's another article from yesterday's New York Times, which I found very interesting. It uses past results to quantify the home field advantage as well as the advantage of a team that wins more games; it's not as big an advantage as you think, and luck plays a big part.

Winning Team and Best Team? It's a Flip of the Coin
By ALAN SCHWARZ

Published: October 24, 2004

Frederick Mosteller is a lifelong Red Sox fan. This is impressive on its face, particularly considering that his life began in 1916, and that he has survived almost nine decades with no memory of his team's last World Series victory. Yet even beyond that, it is remarkable because Mosteller has understood, perhaps longer than anyone else on the planet, the cruel mathematics of October baseball.

Not long after his Red Sox lost to the Cardinals in the 1946 World Series, Mosteller, then a young Harvard lecturer and statistician, was attending a cocktail party when the inevitable question arose.

"Somebody asked about the probability of the winner of the World Series being the better team," recalled Mosteller, now retired and living in Arlington, Va. "It occurred to me that I could write about that."

The result was "The World Series Competition," an article that appeared in September 1952 in The Journal of the American Statistical Association, and remains the first known academic analysis of baseball. When fans watching this year's rematch between Boston and St. Louis repeat the modern mantra "anything can happen in a short series," they are, perhaps less rigorously, reaching the same conclusion Mosteller did more than 50 years ago.

"There should be no confusion here," he wrote, "between the 'winning team' and the 'better team.' "

Sure enough, through 25 pages of binomial probability theory, Mosteller showed how a stronger team - say, one with a 60 percent chance of winning each game - will still lose at least four of seven games 29 percent of the time because of the vagaries of luck. Even Manager Joe Torre, who despite last week's stupefying loss to the Red Sox has a whopping 17-5 record in postseason series with the Yankees, admitted as the 2004 playoffs began: "During 162 games, usually the better teams win. But in short series, luck plays a significant role."

Although comparing the World Series to coin flipping might seem a bit, well, flippant, history demonstrates that it might not be far off. Before 1969, when there was only one annual best-of-seven-game postseason series, the team with the better regular-season record won 34 of 65 series, just a tick more than 50 percent.

From 1969 through 1993, when baseball played one additional preliminary series, a league championship series (first best of five games, later best of seven), the team with the best regular-season record ended up wearing rings 7 of 25 times, or 28 percent. That is very close to the 25 percent of the time a flipped coin will come up heads twice in a row. Since 1995, when the postseason expanded to eight teams and three rounds, the best team in the regular-season has won one of nine World Series, just what a coin's theoretical probability (1 in 8, or 12.5 percent) would prescribe.

Such random-looking results are what caused Oakland Athletics General Manager Billy Beane, loser of four straight opening-round series from 2000 to 2003, to liken the baseball playoffs to a crapshoot. John Henry, the principal owner of the Red Sox, whose probability models made him a billionaire commodities trader, put it this way: "Every team might not start with a 12½ percent chance, but no one's lower than 10 or higher than about 15."

But even craps games have calculable odds. Perhaps not surprisingly, another Red Sox fan, Tom Tippett of Lexington, Mass., has developed an interesting method that assesses the math Boston must overcome this year against St. Louis. Tippett is the inventor of a popular computer-simulation game called Diamond Mind Baseball.

Cued by work done by the baseball statistician Bill James in the early 80's, Tippett determined that the chances of one team's beating another could be estimated by the difference in their winning percentages, plus .500. (Correlation tests on almost a century of major league games determined this to be accurate; i.e., .580 teams beat .450 teams roughly 63 percent of the time.)

As Tippett looked at this year's World Series, Boston carried in a winning percentage of .610 (including postseason), St. Louis .647. This suggests that the Cardinals have a 53.7 percent chance of winning the average game between them. And after applying Mosteller's binomial theory, the Cardinals have a 58 percent chance of beating the Red Sox to four victories.

But Tippett builds in several more factors. The Sox could play four games at home, and home games typically add 42 points to a team's winning percentage. Making that adjustment, the Cardinals decline to a 57 percent favorite. Even more significantly, the two teams' rosters have changed, specifically Boston's addition of shortstop Orlando Cabrera. Using only the teams' winning percentages since the July 31 trade deadline, Boston, which has played .700 ball since then, becomes the favorite, at 61 percent.

As heartening as that might be to Red Sox fans, as Mosteller explained a half-century ago, 61 percent still leads to heartbreak a fair share of the time. But at least the Red Sox' historic comeback last week encourages Tippett and Mosteller that maybe, just maybe, their team's chances can be governed more by coin flips than curses.

"Now that they beat the Yankees, I'm not sitting here thinking that they'll find some way to blow it," Tippett said. "But the intellectual person in me knows that they could play well and still lose the World Series. There's a very legitimate chance that will happen. You know, it's not supposed to be easy."

With the Red Sox, it never is.

E-mail: [email protected]

24scoregraph.jpg

FramerJohn said:
2 games down and I'm a happy Red Sox fan for now. :D
But you're two games UP. ;) Still a ways to go, but if the Sox take game 3, it will not be looking good for the birds. :(

Oh My goodness, are the Cardinals trying to lose this game. Stephen Hawking could have run the bases better than Suppan just did from third base. Michael Jackson could have turned around, grabbed his crotch, and moonwalked all the way home and still made it. :mad:

Suppan looked like a little league player on that base running blunder. :D
I believe that play changed the way the game could have ended up. Being a Red Sox fan, thank you Jeff Suppan. :D

Looks like Boston got some secret weapon .. Prob some boston fan's seen this video before .. but for others .. this seems to be the secret weapon

Watch the person behind home plate. P.S. Watch with caution if you're at work! :D

Gus

jlindy said:
Michael Jackson could have turned around, grabbed his crotch, and moonwalked all the way home and still made it. :mad:

LOL..

It's far from over, though ;)

Back