Housing prices amongst us????

Originally posted by yellowpad:
i am just curios, how much does it cost to build or expand a two story home? what is the cost effective in this scenario...knock it down completely or remodel with additions? i am thinking in the process of doing my research on building a 3+ garage and expand to a 2 story home.....any contractor or someone have done it here? any estimate per square foot cost?

So many variables. Current style home.
Build up or out. Attached or detached garage.
Actual sqr footage gained. Building Materials used. Demolition ect. ect.
When you get your final plans your architect should be able to give you a pretty good cost analysis for your plans. I know that I am researching the heck out of my proposed project.
Good Luck
Len

[This message has been edited by len3.8 (edited 21 February 2003).]

I have to tell you that maybe I am the only one but I think that the part of CA I live in is the best value in the country! I travel extensively throughout the USA, Europe and Asia and I can tell you that the quality of life and value here in Southern CA just can't be matched!

Sure you can live in other parts of the USA, the world for that matter where you get more of one thing or another, bigger house, more land, etc.. but there is no place in the world that has more to offer from a lifestyle perspective than Orange County or San Diego.

I live in a 2500 Sq. Ft. house with an awesome view of the Pacific Ocean from our back yard: http://members.cox.net/pbruce/Image018.jpg

We moved here from Dallas in 1998 and actually paid $200K more for this house than the one we left in behind. It is only 2/3 the size of our place in TX, but then again everything is bigger in TX. When I moved back I did a cashflow analysis between the 2 homes and was amazed to realize that monthly cashflow between the 2 locations was almost a wash between the two.

Bullsh## you say? Take a look at these annual expenses;
CA TX
Property Tax (1.02%) 5,000 7,500
Utilities(no A/C in CA) 1,400 4,000
Water Bill 600 1,550
Insurance 625 1,845
Car Insurance(3 cars) 1,635 2,585
Phone Bill 325 750
Gardener 1,200 3,100
Mortgage Payment 28,800 17,500
Pool Service Pacific Ocean 840
=============================================
Total: 39,585 39,670

Now if you combine this with the absolute best weather you can find anywhere, with the possible exception of Hawaii it doesn't get any better than this.

My wife and I had dinner out on the patio this evening in shirtsleeves and watched an awesome sunset while we had a glass of wine and said to each other "It doesn't get any better than this".

So in my opinion when you do the "Value equation" there is no better value than at the beach in CA!!!

[This message has been edited by Paul65K (edited 21 February 2003).]

Yeah, you just wait buddy -- after CA falls into the ocean Arizona's gonna be beach front property
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
Yeah, you just wait buddy -- after CA falls into the ocean Arizona's gonna be beach front property
biggrin.gif

That's OK! I spend a lot of time in Lake Havasu, I'll just move there! (lol)

property values are still a relative steal out here, and that is with fairly rapid appreciation in the past five years.

300-350k will get you 3k-3500sqft with three car in one of the nicer neighborhoods. 400-450k will get you the same or slightly bigger with all custom build out.

'mansions' can be had for less than a mil.

definately one of the upsides of KansasCity
wink.gif

Originally posted by Paul65K:
I have to tell you that maybe I am the only one but I think that the part of CA I live in is the best value in the country!

My observation is that every place has its benefits and drawbacks. Some benefits don't mean as much to some people as they do to others; same thing with the downsides. And something you see as an attraction may be considered a deterrent by someone else.

The trick is to find the place where you want to live, that best meets your needs, and live there and enjoy it. Just don't think that it's the best place, or the best value, for people who live somewhere else, because it probably isn't.

Different strokes...

The house next door to me just sold for 785k. All the houses on my court are roughly 5000sq./ft with finished basement. The buy-in to the neighborhood 3 years ago was 550k. Don't think there is too much room left on the upside for appreciation.

Back