Honda type r badges vs Acura badges?

Hello everyone,
So I already have the jdm type badges which come with a mint price and I bought them because I dig the Honda badge over the Acura ones but seriously, I am tired of my car being immediately devalued and made fun of because of it.
For example, I used to be completely badge less with nothing but thumbs ups and nice car!
Now I get, sweet civic man! Or hey is that a real nsx or a Honda with a body kit? Or the worst of late, is that a del sol? The del sol comment was my coup de gras or finish him move. I know it is all Honda in Japan but damn, can you guys vote on it for me? I love the jdm however it ain't jdm so.......
For the record I came back with snappy comebacks to all insults listed above. Especially the del sol comment which was given at a red light with no one in front of me. Let's just say, he choked on my nitto's.:biggrin:

That Del Sol comment is hilarious. I got that comment once myself and just laughed. Mine is badged as Acura. I've never really understood why some folks go for the Type R or Honda badges over the Acura badges. If it's in the U.S. it's definitely not a Type R. And what's wrong with Acura? Since the cars are not right hand drive they're not JDM. It appears that the folks giving you grief know what they are looking at and the badging just invites the remarks. I wonder if I put Acura badging on my S2000, would people be asking me if it's an Integra, RSX or TL Type-S? On the positive side, it individualizes the car for you and that's important too. I vote Acura Badging though.

Last edited:
Yes I am starting to believe the jdm badges need to go. Even though I love the Honda red filled emblem, I am growing tired of explaining to people the difference in Japan versus the USA.

If you like the Honda badge, keep it. WGAF what people say?

+1. I just expressed my opinion. It's not meant to sway you. I actually have the red Honda badges on my S2000. They came from the previous owner but they look cool.

Attachments

• P1030515.jpg
    P1030515.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
I agree with you as well Ric, but just growing tired of peoples questioning. I think we all care to some extent of what others think though, otherwise we would all be driving camry's. But still, it chews at my thought process. I was thinking of changing to the Oem Acura badges and painting the bling either red or black it out. That'd be the best of both worlds.:smile:

Believe it or not, a lot of people have no idea Acura is an aspirational brand Honda created to get more market share. A lot of people come up to me, "isn't that an ACURA NSX, not a HONDA?"

Well HONDA is the brand with a real history, F1 wins dating back over half a century, etc... Acura may prove itself with the NSX 2.0 but mine is going to sport Honda badges. Although I would keep the non-R badges unless you have some upgrades to back it up.

Last edited:
That Del Sol comment is hilarious. I got that comment once myself and just laughed. Mine is badged as Acura. I've never really understood why some folks go for the Type R or Honda badges over the Acura badges. If it's in the U.S. it's definitely not a Type R. And what's wrong with Acura? Since the cars are not right hand drive they're not JDM. It appears that the folks giving you grief know what they are looking at and the badging just invites the remarks. I wonder if I put Acura badging on my S2000, would people be asking me if it's an Integra, RSX or TL Type-S? On the positive side, it individualizes the car for you and that's important too. I vote Acura Badging though.

+1
everyone can do what makes them happy. Personally, since the car was sold in the US as Acura, that's my badge preference. it's one thing to add some some mods, but to change the branding is confusing. I don't care what people think either, it just doesn't square with me. I'm proud of the car and how it was sold, so my preference is to leave the branding as is. I know it's origins and the Honda lineage. And it's roots we're obvious to the world when it was launched, so it makes sense for me to keep it Acura.

There is nothing wrong with an Acura badge. It’s personal reference. I prefer the H badge as it matches with the engine cover and doors and I got the H airbag too. Just don’t know what to do with the Acura on the stereo though. I personally like the H badge with red background for its look. Has nothing to do with pretending that it’s an NSX-R. Some of us have the type R wing replica just for the look. It doesn’t mean we try to pass it off as a real type R. Well maybe some do lol.

I agree with you Jinks that we do care/think a little bit about what other people say but that shouldn’t stop us from doing what we want to do (as long as it’s not something ridiculous). In this case, just a tiny weeny little badge, you know.

I switched out the red-fill H badges that were on the front bumper cover and rear tail-light center section when I bought the car for an Acura badge and an "ACURA" rear tail center. But I'm working on returning my 91 to OEM. I can certainly see the attraction of the red-fill H badge especially on black, white, and silver NSXs. Go with whatever YOU like. Regardless of your badges, people will occasionally make annoying remarks about your car. As the great American poet, singer-songwriter, and actress Taylor Swift said, "Haters gonna hate".

Believe it or not, a lot of people have no idea Acura is an aspirational brand Honda created to get more market share. A lot of people come up to me, "isn't that an ACURA NSX, not a HONDA?"

I too have noticed that many people have no clue about the Acura/Honda connection. At a cars and coffee, someone thought that another NSX there was some different model because it had Honda badges.

The truth of the matter is, no matter how you badge it, or unbadge it, people will ask questions. It's the curse of ownership.

I switched out the red-fill H badges that were on the front bumper cover and rear tail-light center section when I bought the car for an Acura badge and an "ACURA" rear tail center. But I'm working on returning my 91 to OEM. I can certainly see the attraction of the red-fill H badge especially on black, white, and silver NSXs. Go with whatever YOU like. Regardless of your badges, people will occasionally make annoying remarks about your car. As the great American poet, singer-songwriter, and actress Taylor Swift said, "Haters gonna hate".

:biggrin: Didn't expect that.

I like when people get confuse and go WTF is that?, because I go WTF myself too when I see a car I don't know like when I see a Zonda driving in California. I have a Honda Red Emblem and my car look like a Type R, I even have the "NSX-R" decal on my wing.

Enthusiast already know what I have, and for people who don't know and if they really do care, they will most likely Google it. Google is your friend. If they don't really care, your 30 minutes explanation about history, Honda/Acura, F1, etc. will be forgotten in a minute anyway.

The main reason I switched to "H" badges on my NSX was because the previous owner had the front debadged and I found it was a good opportunity for my inner JDM riceboy to come out. I bought 02+ Chrome emblems for front and rear, then noticed that my center-caps said "A". The JDM 02+ NSX didn't have chrome "H" caps so I bought JDM centercaps in white and repowdercoated my wheels to white. Now the emblem on my intake manifold didn't match, so I found one from an Accord and swapped it out. Then steering wheel was an eyesore with the A C U R A, so I had to find a JDM SRS airbag. Now the only thing left was the "ACURA" lettering on the radio, so I've been watching eBay for the past few months trying to find the Bose radio from a 92 Accord SE to match. Now I'm selling my NSX so I had to convert everything back to stock. For my next NSX I don't think I want to go through all of that trouble again just to have to tell people that I have a a "Del Sol".

I just wish the Acura emblems had a body color fill, like the Honda ones. Unfortunately the +02 emblems don't line up properly on a 91-01 bumper...

Funny thing is there are fanboy ricers in Japan and Europe that slap Acura badges on ..:biggrin: people want to be "different", but just end up being trendy....

Personally, I like the way the H badge looks a lot better, then the A badge, but just can't do it....to me, it just doesn't make sense. It is an Acura here in the states, like some have said, why confuse folks and make them think it's a new civic?:tongue:

To each their own though....do what ever you like. Try not to worry about what others like me think, fanboy:wink:

Putting Honda Type-R badges on an Acura NSX is like putting Hemi badges on a 6 cylinder Charger.
If it's not the real thing don't label it as one.

There is nothing wrong with an Acura badge. It’s personal reference.

Exactly. I prefer the Acura "A" because it looks classy. Think of the most respected marques: the Ferrari prancing horse, the Porsche shield, the Maserati trident, etc. They all have class.

The NSX deserves a classy badge and I think the "A" fits the bill better than the "H."

Are all/most of the rear "A" emblems near the same in diameter? I'd like to put one one my rear center lense but don't want something overly big. I have a "A" on the front but nothing out back. Ebay seems to have 100's of OEM, I just don't know which is right.

i'll have to agree with the comments preferring the "H" Honda badging. as it's the symbol renowned for a prestigious racing history, especially the Ayrton Senna/Mclaren Honda world championship days, from which the NSX was spawned. and also the domination of the late 90's in Indycar with Alex Zanardi, Jimmy Vassar and co. for me the "H" symbols just look proper. in my mind the "A" Acura symbols stand for a luxury car brand, something i care nothing about personally.

as for the whole JDM thing? the original cars were sold as Honda NSX's in Britain, Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand and virtually everywhere else outside of America and Canada. so truth be told, it's a global thing, not just a JDM thing.

as for the Civic comment, i'd have to just look at whomever said it and openly laugh my arse off if i heard that one. the worst i've ever had is the usual "new Corvette" comments from complete non-enthusiasts. but hey, it's not illegal to be stupid...

Thanks for all your input gentleman.
I agree with all of you here. On one side I love the Honda badge, but on the other side it's kinda a knock down the food chain as people in America are mostly idiots including myself:smile:
I think I may just buy another tail badge and front badge but hold on to my nsxr tail as I waited months for it to arrive by sailboat.

- - - Updated - - -

The main reason I switched to "H" badges on my NSX was because the previous owner had the front debadged and I found it was a good opportunity for my inner JDM riceboy to come out. I bought 02+ Chrome emblems for front and rear, then noticed that my center-caps said "A". The JDM 02+ NSX didn't have chrome "H" caps so I bought JDM centercaps in white and repowdercoated my wheels to white. Now the emblem on my intake manifold didn't match, so I found one from an Accord and swapped it out. Then steering wheel was an eyesore with the A C U R A, so I had to find a JDM SRS airbag. Now the only thing left was the "ACURA" lettering on the radio, so I've been watching eBay for the past few months trying to find the Bose radio from a 92 Accord SE to match. Now I'm selling my NSX so I had to convert everything back to stock. For my next NSX I don't think I want to go through all of that trouble again just to have to tell people that I have a a "Del Sol".

jackpot! Ding ding ding ding ding!!!!!!!

Putting Honda Type-R badges on an Acura NSX is like putting Hemi badges on a 6 cylinder Charger.
If it's not the real thing don't label it as one.

Having red badges on your car doesn't mean you're faking a Type R. Many non-R Hondas in Japan came with red badges, even the Honda Insight.

I just wish the Acura emblems had a body color fill, like the Honda ones. Unfortunately the +02 emblems don't line up properly on a 91-01 bumper...

You can get the 97-01 Integra Type R badges. It's an A that's color-filled and is the same size as the OEM 91-01 gray color filled emblem.

You can get the 97-01 Integra Type R badges. It's an A that's color-filled and is the same size as the OEM 91-01 gray color filled emblem.

I want an emblem that is filled in with the same color as my car, i.e. Midnight Pearl. Only the Honda emblems came with color fill specific to every factory NSX color. The 91-01 Acura ones were all gray (boring/bad match) and the 02-05 allowed the underlying paint color to show through the emblem but the emblem does not line up properly and leaves holes in the bumper.

Back