Honda test Acura NSX prototype

damn that toyota actually looks exotic.... Like a cross between a lambo and a toyota. I think this is gonna be good for the japanese market and eventually make the nsx prototype a better car.

I agree. Im glad that toyota raised the bar even higher so now honda knows what theyre up against......and hopefully improve on that ASCC

I think shiftybob was implying its a test mule ;) :tongue: :biggrin: Right Bob?

Hey...
if you look closely it may be a test mule.

A FRONT ENGINED TEST MULE !

I'm going Lotus.
And keeping the real NSX not this jackass.

Absolutely Lotus!!! The greatest car ever made!!!

I have a news for you, in case you like to go with a v6 Lotus, just buy the NSX and CTSC it. You'll have better luck keeping it for the rest of your life.

Better yet, paint it with stripes, it will look like a Ford GT, a step up from the NSX.:wink:

lotus-elise.jpg

Absolutely Lotus!!! The greatest car ever made!!!

I have a news for you, in case you like to go with a v6 Lotus, just buy the NSX and CTSC it. You'll have better luck keeping it for the rest of your life.

Better yet, paint it with stripes, it will look like a Ford GT, a step up from the NSX.:wink:

Way to revive a 1+yr old thread.

I've got news for you guys. My source is reputable as he is one of the head engineers on the nextgen NSX project.

Back in December of 2005, after all NSX production ceased, Honda engineers began experimenting with the FMEx concept. FMEx is an acronym for the Front Mounted Exhaust experimental. The idea was to move the exhaust to the front of the car to reap a number of benefits. First, they discovered that the exhaust could be self-tuning creating the perfect amount of backpressure while the the car was in motion. Next, it was discovered that by the noise cancelling effects of the oncoming wind that they could use higher performing, typically louder exhausts without an increasing noise inside out outside of the car. They used a mechanical silencer when the car was idling.

This design also kept the car running cooler. Honda engineers were able to eliminate the need for water cooling by designing a special aluminum radiator that used the actual fuel from the fuel tank to cool the engine. When the fuel was fed back into the direct injection system, they found that the additional heat was beneficial in vaporizing the gasoline for combustion creating a more efficient and powerful engine. The FMEx project changed the way Honda would build cars. It reduced the weight of the car, number of components, and increased power and efficiency.

Fast forward to the middle of last year and what all of this has to do with the next generation NSX and how Honda pulled off the ultimate coup. Honda rolled out the NSX successor for testing at the track in the pictures you see, dressed up almost like an S2000. You guys are all screaming we want an MR car and Honda did listen to you. Don't you remember they asked for your feedback and to meet at this event here? That mule you see on the track IS infact MR! You see the exhaust and how it's mounted on the back? Wrong, that is the front of the car! The car was running around Nurburgring in reverse the whole time and nobody even knew.

Shame on you guys for underestimating Honda, the power of dreams!

Last edited:
That mule you see on the track IS infact MR! You see the exhaust and how it's mounted on the back? Wrong, that is the front of the car! The car was running around Nurburgring in reverse the whole time and nobody even knew.

Shame on you guys for underestimating Honda, the power of dreams!

Brilliance!!! Having so many gears in reverse would serve useful for those movie like chases :tongue:

What are the advantages of having the rear wheels turn rather than the front? Is it because it's less of a turning radius that way? Please inform me with your inside scoops!! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Brilliance!!! Having so many gears in reverse would serve useful for those movie like chases :tongue:

What are the advantages of having the rear wheels turn rather than the front? Is it because it's less of a turning radius that way? Please inform me with your inside scoops!! :biggrin:

SH-AWD lead to SH-AWS. Ratio of the steering is determined by the direction the car is moving. Again, this is an FMEx innovation. The multiple gears in reverse is simple, turn the gearbox around 180 degrees. Doesn't take a team of engineers to figure that one out.

SH-AWD lead to SH-AWS. Ratio of the steering is determined by the direction the car is moving. Again, this is an FMEx innovation. The multiple gears in reverse is simple, turn the gearbox around 180 degrees. Doesn't take a team of engineers to figure that one out.

ATTS was the Prelude to the SHAWD tested on the Prelude:biggrin:

The multiple gears in reverse is simple, turn the gearbox around 180 degrees.

So they opted for only 1 forward gear? That actually makes sense! Less time shifting! Did they equip the new NSX with a variable gear ratio for the forward gear which adjusts with the amount of torque the engine outputs in addition to the vehicle speed? In essence, SH-VGR (Super-Handling Variable Gear Ratio) :tongue::biggrin:

I've got news for you guys. My source is reputable as he is one of the head engineers on the nextgen NSX project.

Back in December of 2005, after all NSX production ceased, Honda engineers began experimenting with the FMEx concept. FMEx is an acronym for the Front Mounted Exhaust experimental. The idea was to move the exhaust to the front of the car to reap a number of benefits. First, they discovered that the exhaust could be self-tuning creating the perfect amount of backpressure while the the car was in motion. Next, it was discovered that by the noise cancelling effects of the oncoming wind that they could use higher performing, typically louder exhausts without an increasing noise inside out outside of the car. They used a mechanical silencer when the car was idling.

This design also kept the car running cooler. Honda engineers were able to eliminate the need for water cooling by designing a special aluminum radiator that used the actual fuel from the fuel tank to cool the engine. When the fuel was fed back into the direct injection system, they found that the additional heat was beneficial in vaporizing the gasoline for combustion creating a more efficient and powerful engine. The FMEx project changed the way Honda would build cars. It reduced the weight of the car, number of components, and increased power and efficiency.

Fast forward to the middle of last year and what all of this has to do with the next generation NSX and how Honda pulled off the ultimate coup. Honda rolled out the NSX successor for testing at the track in the pictures you see, dressed up almost like an S2000. You guys are all screaming we want an MR car and Honda did listen to you. Don't you remember they asked for your feedback and to meet at this event here? That mule you see on the track IS infact MR! You see the exhaust and how it's mounted on the back? Wrong, that is the front of the car! The car was running around Nurburgring in reverse the whole time and nobody even knew.

Mhhhh. No!!!:rolleyes:

Who is this person you know from American Honda corp with such information? Your source? Friend, family, relative, or Santa Claus?

Sounds like a crock of shit to me. Anywho........who's up for counting sheep??..........
Anyone??:rolleyes:

He has a Japanese name with many syllables and has an engineering background.

So is a guy with a Japanese name with many syllables with an engineering back ground tells you that big foot does exist, are you going to tell us toO?

All joke a side, I don't find that credible at all. If he will tell you, an asian rapper from LA area, I assumed that auto publications around the world will have at least little more information than you do.:wink:

Last edited:
So is a guy with a Japanese name with many syllables with an engineering back ground tells you that big foot does exist, are you going to tell us to?

He is also an honorary Iron Chef. Mark my words, the car was running in reverse, liquid gas cooling (not water), pre-vaporized combustion, direct injection, front mounted exhaust. You will all eat your words when it debuts at the 2009 Tokyo auto salon. Remember this day, remember this post...

You know, the idea of using fuel as a coolant has been talked about in supersonic aircraft, but to cool the skin near the fuel tanks. It only works because at a designed cruise speed, you have a constant rate of fuel burn. You can figure out how much fuel will be moving past the appropriate sections of the structure compared to how much heat the thing will generate at that speed.

It's an interesting idea (although obviously a joke here) for a car, but you can't do it for long in a traffic jam. Besides, to route fuel around the car is just asking for trouble. High speed aircraft don't have to worry about fender benders at traffic lights.

Nick

Remember this day, remember this post...

We all hope you're right, and that the legendary NSX will return to it's rightful throne. The NA3 (possibly) should have a pretty good following. If everything you say is true, I think I might have to trade in my NA1 for down payment, re-enlist for 90K, and spend spend spend. Time will tell though.

Long

If in fact what you say is true here..

First, they discovered that the exhaust could be self-tuning creating the perfect amount of backpressure while the the car was in motion. Next, it was discovered that by the noise cancelling effects of the oncoming wind that they could use higher performing, typically louder exhausts without an increasing noise inside out outside of the car. They used a mechanical silencer when the car was idling.

Then you are full of complete BS. The exhaust was on the rear of the S2000 mule with an enlongated front nose for an FE design. So if it was runnning in reverse like you claim then the exhaust was not doing its newly discovered job.
Please find a girlfriend.

First, they discovered that the exhaust could be self-tuning creating the perfect amount of backpressure while the the car was in motion. Next, it was discovered that by the noise cancelling effects of the oncoming wind that they could use higher performing, typically louder exhausts without an increasing noise inside out outside of the car. They used a mechanical silencer when the car was idling.

Then you are full of complete BS. The exhaust was on the rear of the S2000 mule with an enlongated front nose for an FE design. So if it was runnning in reverse like you claim then the exhaust was not doing its newly discovered job.

Sounds like your sarcasm/sense of humor needs a tune up.

So is a guy with a Japanese name with many syllables with an engineering back ground tells you that big foot does exist, are you going to tell us toO?

All joke a side, I don't find that credible at all. If he will tell you, an asian rapper from LA area, I assumed that auto publications around the world will have at least little more information than you do.:wink:

2212237762_b353669e81.jpg
2212237578_7df1571fcb.jpg
2211446797_106b4f16f3.jpg

Back