Honda dealership refusing to work on an NSX?

And there ARE a number of special tools that should be used in doing certain jobs, at least according to the shop manual. A clever tech can almost always find a way to get the job done without these, but a dealership mechanic isn't anxious to go that route. A Honda service department won't have Acura NSX-specific special tools.

Crown Acura in Greensboro or Hendrick Acura in Charlotte are two options. Hopefully a local NSX owner can supply you with alternatives. If you use a tow vehicle, insist on a "roll-back" flatbed truck. They are the best option for ease of loading/offloading without damage.

Not so sure about Hendrick. They did the TB/WP job on my car for the previous owner and, based on the TB job I had done by a NSX expert in 2012, their work left a lot to be desired (missing bolts, wrong bolts, pinched gaskets, etc). That was 2005 though, so things might have changed there.

Not so sure about Hendrick. They did the TB/WP job on my car for the previous owner and, based on the TB job I had done by a NSX expert in 2012, their work left a lot to be desired (missing bolts, wrong bolts, pinched gaskets, etc). That was 2005 though, so things might have changed there.

Im honestly not surprised by this to a degree. When they did my clutch there were several issues... first was they were the highest quote i got from anywhere, second when they were done with it they claimed they drove it but that had to be almost impossible because there were huge air pockets coming from the master cylinder to where the you could release the clutch sitting in gear holding down the brakes and not stall, and finally they didnt just hit my shine-gt front lip once, they murdered it several times on who knows what and then argued with me on fixing it when i jus gave them 4k... so you can understand my skepticism with them

but unfortunately its at that dealership now and once again theyve already started the shennanigans. I got three quotes for my valve gaskets from other dealers, all 300-350 for the job, hendrick acura: 500...
but yea nsxtasy is right, ive been trying to find anyone else nearby

- - - Updated - - -

1. CUSTOMER REQUEST INSPECT FOR ENGINE OIL
LEAK / SEEING SMOKE FROM ENGINE AREA /
POSSIBLY VC GASKETS ONLY / CHECK AND ADVI
$499.78 X

2. CUSTOMER STATES ENGINE WAS RUNNING 60-70
PERCENT OF TEMP NEEDLES MAX LAST TIME IT
WAS DRIVING / CHECK AND ADVISE
$0.00 X

3. REPLACE UPPER AND LOWER ENGINE HOSES
(ENGINE RADIATER HOSES SPLIT) $418.00

4. PERFORM MULTI POINT INSPECTION $0.00 X
Subtotal $917.78 $499.78
Totals, Taxes and Fees Cost Deferred Approved
Estimate Subtotal $917.78 $0.00 $499.78
Shop Fee $26.00 TBD $26.00
Tax $68.42 TBD $38.12
Estimate Total $1,012.20 TBD $563.90

this is their latest estimate for me for transparency. the hoses is what the issue came from

The other alternative is, if you know a good independent mechanic in your area, you can have him do the work. At first he won't know all the tricks and common problems and shortcuts and gotchas of the NSX, so you'll have to train him. And you'll probably have to show him some topics printed out from NSXprime once in a while, too. If you keep going to him, after a while he'll have a lot more familiarity with the car and its systems. And he should be less expensive than a dealership, too. This is the typical option in places where there is no Acura dealership with significant NSX experience, one you can trust.

Ive thought of going this route as well just was hoping someone would pop up who knew nsxs before i did that

Im honestly not surprised by this to a degree. When they did my clutch there were several issues... first was they were the highest quote i got from anywhere, second when they were done with it they claimed they drove it but that had to be almost impossible because there were huge air pockets coming from the master cylinder to where the you could release the clutch sitting in gear holding down the brakes and not stall, and finally they didnt just hit my shine-gt front lip once, they murdered it several times on who knows what and then argued with me on fixing it when i jus gave them 4k... so you can understand my skepticism with them

but unfortunately its at that dealership now and once again theyve already started the shennanigans. I got three quotes for my valve gaskets from other dealers, all 300-350 for the job, hendrick acura: 500...
but yea nsxtasy is right, ive been trying to find anyone else nearby

- - - Updated - - -

1. CUSTOMER REQUEST INSPECT FOR ENGINE OIL
LEAK / SEEING SMOKE FROM ENGINE AREA /
POSSIBLY VC GASKETS ONLY / CHECK AND ADVI
$499.78 X

2. CUSTOMER STATES ENGINE WAS RUNNING 60-70
PERCENT OF TEMP NEEDLES MAX LAST TIME IT
WAS DRIVING / CHECK AND ADVISE
$0.00 X

3. REPLACE UPPER AND LOWER ENGINE HOSES
(ENGINE RADIATER HOSES SPLIT) $418.00

4. PERFORM MULTI POINT INSPECTION $0.00 X
Subtotal $917.78 $499.78
Totals, Taxes and Fees Cost Deferred Approved
Estimate Subtotal $917.78 $0.00 $499.78
Shop Fee $26.00 TBD $26.00
Tax $68.42 TBD $38.12
Estimate Total $1,012.20 TBD $563.90

this is their latest estimate for me for transparency. the hoses is what the issue came from

That estimate is crazy. Also, I should mention they screwed up my clutch install too. When LarryB rebuilt my trans, I had him check the clutch because it had this weird pulsation when the pedal was pushed in. He found that the input shaft, bearing and bearing guide had not been properly greased. After a correct greasing, it almost completely corrected the problem. Again, Hendrick was the last one to touch the clutch. I checked my receipts and they charged the poor guy over $6,000 to do the TB and clutch. :eek:

Everyone who is putting the NSX on some kind of technological high horse needs to pump the brakes and take a closer look at the car. Yes, there are certified NSX technicians, and if you have completed the Honda and Acura iST training modules at one of the honda training facilities, then you are certified to work on them. No you don't need to be completely certified to work on them. NSX specific certification is a thing if the past. The training curriculum was offered at training centers in the early 90's and has since been phased out of the course maps. All NSX's share more in common with Honda B-series powerplants than they do with the more intricate systems Honda and Acura offer today (direct injection, vcm, cylinder misfire balance management, B-CAN etc.). The NSX mechanical layout is simple to say the least, and if you can read a roadmap then diagnosis on an electrical system failure should be a breeze using the ETM when compared to the new generation EWD. What I'm trying to say is, all Honda technicians are require to attend training. All dealerships are required to have a certain number of certified techs. All of those certified techs have the knowledge needed to work on these newer system mentioned above... Which in turn makes them more than competent to work on a car engineered and manufactured 20+ years ago. Call them out on that.

Back