Honda commissions next-gen S2000 design from students

Stuart discovered this gem in Honda’s display at the L.A. show. In cooperation with the Art Center College of Design and the College for Creative Studies, Honda commissioned students from both institutions to design a next-gen S2000 concept. They were instructed that the target demographic was a male buyer of any age in the year 2012.

Not only did the students each come up with a 3D model (pics after the jump), they also researched realistic manufacturing techniques, market research, benchmarking and package development. This holistic approach no doubt was a great learning experience for the students, as well as a treat for us who may be staring at the inspiration for the next S2000.

http://autoblog.com/2006/01/05/honda-commissions-next-gen-s2000-design-from-students/

0024.jpg

0025-1.jpg

0026-1.jpg

0023-1.jpg

0020-1.jpg

0022-1.jpg

0021.jpg

Nothing more than a sponsored project. Happens several times every term. None of those ideas will ever be used. Its just the way Art Center works...kinda like a bargaining table.

Company gives cash to Art Center and a budget for each student in that sponsored class...ie $400-$700. They get half at first and the other half after the project is complete. The $600 is to be used for supplies (markers, clay, paint, FDM, SLA, C&C and etc.) We had to show reciepts for everything to get the other half of the cash...(ie a rebate if you will).

Sometimes you get lucky with the project and sponsor, sometimes you don't. Sponsors I had were Yamaha, O'Neil (wetsuits) & HP.

One of the coolest sponsors I remember while at Art Center was Ducati...the bike concepts and models were pretty damn cool. Too bad I was just entering school at that point. If your unlucky you'll get stuck with a lame project or company (that's what I thought would happen with O'Neil, but we got to design new water recreational vehicles :D)

I have yet to see a student sponsored project that the company took seriously.

Looks great. It has some resemblance with Pininfarina design. I hope it goes into production without too much changes. The first one I mean.

Maybe someone can design one for people taller than Beetlejuice to sit in AND be able to turn the wheel to the right. Would probably help U.S. sales a lot.

TyraNSX said:
Maybe someone can design one for people taller than Beetlejuice to sit in AND be able to turn the wheel to the right. Would probably help U.S. sales a lot.

ditto.

if they made one I could fit in (6'5") the S2000 would be the only car i'd consider owning until i got an NSX.

Just get the NSX, I'm 6'5" and leg room is really good, head room a little cramped but totally liveable & WORTH IT.

I like the #1 concept model (I believe the back end of this car is actually photo #4) except for the front end. I think if they squared off the nose a bit more or if it was the same shape and had less front overhang.

Concept #2 is also quite nice except the lack of a windscreen and the size/shape of the instrument binnacles. I can see that the designer was trying to mirror the rear headrest shape with the instrument binnacles but they dont seem to "fit" with the width of the passenger compartment in the frontal view. If I am correct, photo #2 is the back end of the car in photo #3

Concept #3 I don't like it. At first look it reminded me of a Black and Decker Dustbuster hand vacuum on wheels.

Concept #4 is interesting. I wonder what it would look like without the 2-tone paint job.

The above was of course just my personal non-expert opinion. Ahh, I remember the days of being critiqued by peers in my undergrad studio art classes. It was very stressful!

Spinner said:
One of the coolest sponsors I remember while at Art Center was Ducati...the bike concepts and models were pretty damn cool. Too bad I was just entering school at that point. If your unlucky you'll get stuck with a lame project or company (that's what I thought would happen with O'Neil, but we got to design new water recreational vehicles :D)

I have yet to see a student sponsored project that the company took seriously.

PM'ed you.

Back