Honcho's Long Road to Imola Type-S Zero

Paint and Body Work 42

Color and clear going down on the larger pieces. These are all fresh from clearcoat, so there are some dust nibs and sagging that will have to be sanded and buffed out- I saw one of their guys working on the side skirts doing exactly this- but it already looks unbelievable. The owner is concerned he doesn't have enough PPG for the entire car, so he mixed his own BASF paint for the chassis. He said Imola Orange Pearl is a really interesting color because it is made up of mostly a tinted pearl with very little actual color in it.

IMG_20201019_1647503451.jpg IMG_20201019_1652244361.jpgIMG_20201019_1652453501.jpg

The mesh will be painted black.

IMG_20201019_1651553661.jpg

The ill-fitting B-pillars. Spencer and I will have to get creative with spacers and foam to get these to sit right.

IMG_20201019_1652009191.jpg

On the hood and deck lid, that's PPG on top and his BASF on the undersides. I could not tell the difference even in direct sunlight.

IMG_20201019_1652505891.jpgIMG_20201019_1652337571.jpgIMG_20201019_1647288491.jpgIMG_20201019_1652578701.jpg

When I stopped by the shop today, they were working on sanding and buffing out the clear coat on the side skirts. They also were working hard on the front bumper. The owner said it was in worse condition than even I expected. He said it had been painted at least 5 times (they found 6 coats of varying shades of red paint on it) and all of them were of poor quality. He said they were able to blow off some layers of paint with just compressed air! They basically sanded all of that garbage off and coated the entire bumper in a thick layer of sanding primer. Now, they have to sand it down to get the surface perfect again. I was a little concerned he was going to tell me I needed a new upper bumper piece, but he said they could salvage the existing one. Just a lot of sanding. Next up are the fenders and doors. He's going to hang them together as they would sit on the car and shoot an entire side in a single pass. This should minimize any weird striping or shading you get from the orientation of the pearl flakes in the paint if you paint the parts separately. Even though this is a 2-stage color, he said there's so much pearl in the paint that this is the best way to ensure an even coat.

Even with the worse quality picture on this thread, this looks AMAZING
ACtC-3cCrGjIPHRFJhKZK4ccHrsKIHh2Hg0uQcHBWHxzBaJq0OIIHJ33HhAWsPXpbrtmb5WYJkOxqqZQ9GMMgp_wydEY6UsAK86yCCFKHcWKYlbchdzdk6W3K2X4e1UT11YD836Fqb_HRCE7Ze_VevNt196h=w1440-h1264-no

Even with the worse quality picture on this thread, this looks AMAZING
ACtC-3cCrGjIPHRFJhKZK4ccHrsKIHh2Hg0uQcHBWHxzBaJq0OIIHJ33HhAWsPXpbrtmb5WYJkOxqqZQ9GMMgp_wydEY6UsAK86yCCFKHcWKYlbchdzdk6W3K2X4e1UT11YD836Fqb_HRCE7Ze_VevNt196h=w1440-h1264-no

You should see it in person! One of the reasons I picked this color is that here in Colorado, it's sunny most of the time- even in winter! This color just comes alive in the sunlight- it's something special. Also the Best Motoring factor... and this was the color I always picked for my NSX when playing Gran Turismo with my roommates in my college apartment. :D To be able to reach out and touch it in real life is just so cool.

You should see it in person! One of the reasons I picked this color is that here in Colorado, it's sunny most of the time- even in winter! This color just comes alive in the sunlight- it's something special. To be able to reach out and touch it in real life is just so cool.

Right on ! :biggrin:

Question for the forum: should I go with black seatbelts or black with a ~2 mm orange trim on the edges? Too much orange?

are the seats black?

...........all black belts...If the seats were all black then yes to the fringe.

Question for the forum: should I go with black seatbelts or black with a ~2 mm orange trim on the edges? Too much orange?
I would go with solid orange or solid black. The mixed color thing would be too much IMO. I'm leaning all black though but I reckon that's just what we're use to seeing. The new Porsches look sick with colored belts.

...........all black belts...If the seats were all black then yes to the fringe.

I would go with solid orange or solid black. The mixed color thing would be too much IMO. I'm leaning all black though but I reckon that's just what we're use to seeing. The new Porsches look sick with colored belts.

I would vote solid orange!

I vote solid black. I think orange belts would be too much.

I would go with the exact interior you pictured above, with black belts. Beautiful.

I agree. All black belts. Why? Because black belts matter too. :D

I love all you guys. I really wish Lud would get back to us so we can bring Prime back to its rightful place in the NSX world. Going to go with the black.

Paint and Body Work 43

The full sides of the car (fender --> door --> quarter panel) were completed this week. As discussed, the painter shot them as they would orient on the car to avoid any shading/tone issues.

IMG_20201027_1840231051.jpg
IMG_20201027_1840297951.jpg
IMG_20201027_2212594111.jpg
The driver side door. This was the door with the so-so prior collision repair. The panel was wavy due to a poor job pulling out the dent out and then an uneven application of bondo. It took a lot of time with the long block to sand it all down, but they were able to restore the factory surface profile. As expected, this panel and the upper front bumper required the most prep and repair time. It turned out amazing.
IMG_20201030_161826755_HDR1.jpg

The driver side quarter panel. Note the antenna hole has been deleted per the S Zero trim spec.

IMG_20201030_1620567951.jpg

Colour (color!) Looking really good. Did you not consider losing the side markers and converting to the JDM style indicators (blinkers!)?

The philosophy behind this project is that someone, somehow was able to source a US-market S-Zero. :D Thus, I want to keep the US side-markers.

Engine Refresh 29

The oil pan returned from [MENTION=9035]titaniumdave[/MENTION]. Exceptional quality on the baffle install and also on the added port for the oil temp sensor. Once the deck is fully prepped, I will install the pan back onto the engine block.

20201102_210657.jpg20201102_210708.jpg20201102_210730.jpg

Engine Refresh 30

Cleaning the front bank head bolt holes. I filled the holes with Simple Green HD and used a power drill connected to a .45 caliber copper wire brush to scrub them. Then, I turned over the engine to dump out the disgusting mess (after taping off the cylinders of course!) and then blasted each bolt hole out with brake cleaner. I'll run a microfiber down each hole and then blast out again with compressed air. It is critical that you clean these threads immaculately, or you will not get the correct torque setting when you tighten the head bolts. I am certain this was not done on my 91 when Acura repaired the head gasket and as a result, it soon developed another leaky head gasket.

This is what came out of the bolt holes.

20201102_214055.jpg

I see. I suppose the steering wheel being on the wrong side would ultimately give the game away anyway!

I'm trying to convince him to mount a "faux" rhd steering wheel and pedal set

Back