Help Painting 2002+ rear valence

I will be installing a new OEM rear valence (2002+) on my 97- but I am not sure what stays black (unpainted??) and what gets paint.

Plus is the black actually unpainted or is there black paint involved. My nsx is red.

I have looked at pictures but can not tell.

thanks

Rich

jp02-29.jpg

NSXR_3.jpg

Leave the bumper as is (black) in the middle section as shown. Paint only the outsides and lower portion.

Note - The White NSX-R does have a diffuser.

I left the center unpainted.

plate_frame.jpg

I did mine 2 weeks ago, go ahead and paint the center piece (at your taste) i did mine as factory, I wanted flat black but the paint shop guy told me it could cost me a bit more, and also it could look a bit cheap, so he did paint + clear coat, when I picked up i was NOOOOOOO -i didn't like 2 much, 2 shinny -- once installed it looks fantastic . it was a good call, if you want to make it even better, get the CF license plate frame from Downforce, it looks perfect and makes the NSX rear much sexy.

Oscar

PS: If you decide to install yourself, get ready to remove the whole bumper, that's the only way to do it right ....

FYI, an 02+ car does not leave that black part unpainted. It's actually painted black with a believe a slightly more matte finish. Unpainted it looks like black plastic.

Got a paint code for that? How does painting it matte black make it not look like black plastic? Seems like the same result to me.

The 91-01 Valance on my car is unpainted in the center. I expected the 02+ to be the same.

I did mine 2 weeks ago, go ahead and paint the center piece (at your taste) i did mine as factory, I wanted flat black but the paint shop guy told me it could cost me a bit more, and also it could look a bit cheap, so he did paint + clear coat, when I picked up i was NOOOOOOO -i didn't like 2 much, 2 shinny -- once installed it looks fantastic . it was a good call, if you want to make it even better, get the CF license plate frame from Downforce, it looks perfect and makes the NSX rear much sexy.

It all depends on what color your car is. Shiny black in the center doesn't look good on a black car.

Got a paint code for that? How does painting it matte black make it not look like black plastic? Seems like the same result to me.

The 91-01 Valance on my car is unpainted in the center. I expected the 02+ to be the same.

I don't have the paint code, sorry. You will have to see them side by side to see what I'm talking about. The paint isn't exactly matte, it's just not as glossy. Next time I'm side by side with an 02, I'll try to take some pix...

I don't have the paint code, sorry. You will have to see them side by side to see what I'm talking about. The paint isn't exactly matte, it's just not as glossy. Next time I'm side by side with an 02, I'll try to take some pix...

Thats cool, thanks. I have never really paid that close attention to it. I will have to find a black 02+ and check it out myself.:smile:

It all depends on what color your car is. Shiny black in the center doesn't look good on a black car.

Agree 100% ... i thought that on red was going to look bad but i didn't (lucky me) .... and I hate shinny stuff ....

Oscar

Agree 100% ... i thought that on red was going to look bad but i didn't (lucky me) .... and I hate shinny stuff ....

Oscar

How about some pics !:biggrin:

How about some pics !:biggrin:

I will, tomorrow I have a drive with the Fchat people (it's going to be a blast) and 100% i'll post my pics ... :D
Oscar

PS: Is been raining like a Monsoon here in FL --some places 28" total days-- in the last 10 days, I HOPE tomorrow is sunny, took my nsx to work Thursday and today -both days sunny in the morning- what a mistake, my trunk leaks a bit, so now smells like a dead dog inside there :( ....

Thanks for the imput-

why does the whole rear bumper have to come off?

it looks like it just unbolts from behind

Rich

why does the whole rear bumper have to come off?
it looks like it just unbolts from behind..

That's what I thought too, i had to go back to prime and read/search DYI's :( .. I was lucky to have the 91 manual, once the bumper is off, it goes easy, there's some rare cases people don't need to remove the whole rear bumper, but i don't know, i don't see doing a clean job like that, once you go under your car you'll see why, is just to many bolts/screws in tight places that require more space ...

b4
DSC09873.jpg

after
DSC01526.jpg

good luck and keep us updated, my favorite part is that you can see the exhaust + the mesh makes a bit more aggressive look, also the sides, the car is a bit more chunky / exotic numbers go up a lot after this simple mod! ..

Oscar

Heres mine and the bumper HAS to come off.DSC03228.jpg

Guess the bumper is coming off!

thanks all

Rich

Back