HDTV?

ak

Legendary Member
I admit...I'm an electrical engineer and I have very little knowledge on stereo etc.
redface.gif
I am in the market for new TV for under $2000 and wanted some recommendation/insight. I want a HDTV but i'm a little confused. Most of the HDTV's under 40" seem to come without the tuner. Is it unrealistic to look for 32" HDTV with built in tuner for under $2k? The only brand I found that carries such a thing is Zenieth...which i'm not sure if I can trust? Also, even if I buy a external tuner, is there a chance that it won't work with what my local cable company may carry? I'm not going all out with Plasma(yet). I just want something modest but with good quality picture.

Most cable companies integrate HDTV decoders in the set top cable box. At least Time Warner Cable does for only $47.00 a month and it includes 7 HDTV dedicated channels. The best set to go with is Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Sony or Hitachi for under $3000.00. Can not name a good brand for $2000.00. I have a DLP Projector that displays on a motorized screen. I am a big HDTV proponent, knocks my socks off everytime I see it.
By 2006 all 4x3 set will be obsolete.

Tan

I just got HDTV set up last week. Comcast is sending 5 channels through the set top box. I have a LCD front projector with a 120" dia screen. I thought DVD looked great. HDTV is just increadible.

I think $2500-$3000 would get a decent HDTV. I think any TV that HDTV ready, with a 1080i input will be adaquate. The set top boxes have the HDTV tuner built into them or you can buy a seperate box for $400 anyway.

If you are going to consider $3000 for a TV you might want to consider front projection for $4000. Assuming you have the room to set it up.

ak,

Mitsubishi is very good. But in reality, they only come in second as far as pic quality.

Pioneer makes the best. Ask any of the salesmen who sell this particular brand. Better yet, see for yourself and compare.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from Zenith.

Just get an external tuner and hook it up. Built in HDTV tuners are really $$$$$$.l

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 13 March 2003).]

I live in your general area, and no cable (dunno about dish)company that I know of simulcasts HDTV in our area. I get HDTV recption via bunny ears and regular ant only on some channels. I have built-in Tuner, and reception is great when you get it. Havent seen any models around 49" with built in tuners.

Looks good but remember that projection TV has a problem with ambient light. We have a DLP setup in the theater which is great but no way you can watch it with alot of light. Just bought a Sony 40 inch 4x3 television. Huge screen for regular tv but HDTV screen is around 36 inch diagonal. This is a real tube. Bought it at the Sony outlet for around 2K. Great picture. Weighs almost 300 lbs.

Back