Hawk HPS brake pads

I was just curious as to anyone's opinion on the Hawk HPS street pad. I realize several NSX's usually run Axxis ultimates or the Bobcats on the street, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience using the Hawk HPS pad?

I have run these on my e36 M3 and have really liked them. I was thinking about doing the same on my NSX, but was interested in any insight that was available.

Any insight/thoughts/commentary is appreciated -

I run them, sell them, and love them! They are quiet and have a little more grip than the OE pad. For the money you can't beat the HPS's!

I also love the HPS pads used them with my stock brake set up and I just got them for my Stoptech BBK. IMO they bite a little harder then the stockers and the dusting in minimal.

How are they for noise when compared to stockers?

I hate break squeel!

Very little noise if not the same as the stockers.

AaronR said:
I run them, sell them, and love them! They are quiet and have a little more grip than the OE pad. For the money you can't beat the HPS's!
How do they compare to Hawk's HP Plus pad ??

I've run OE, Porterfield R4S and Carbotech Panther Plus so far. Am about to try HP Plus.

##################

Descriptions/features (from dealer website):

HPS: High Performance Street
- Street Use
- Extremely low dust
- High friction/torque hot or cold
- Gentle on rotors
- Virtually noise-free
- Much improved braking over OE
- Long extended pad life

HP Plus: High Performance Street PLUS
Race Worthy
- Street Use/ Limited Track Use
- Extremely high friction output
- Race worthy for autocross
- Race worthy for club racing events
- Elevated temperature resistance

nsx1164 said:
How do they compare to Hawk's HP Plus pad ??

I've run OE, Porterfield R4S and Carbotech Panther Plus so far. Am about to try HP Plus.

For you Manuel, the HP Plus's would be perfect. They are more agressive than an HPS, making them more of a track pad that is streetable(hp plus) rather than a street pad that is trackable (hps). They are a very good alternative for someone who tracks and autocrosses the car and wants to use that same pad on the street.

I've got the Hawk HPS pads

I'd feel totally comfortable taking these pads on the track. I've got basically no fade, but I've upgraded more than the pads.

Project Mu front rotors
Comptech SS lines
Motul 600 fluid

So, it's hard for me to compare just the pads vs. the stock pads, but they work really well. The brakes feel more like a Porsche 993 (pre-99 911) than the stock setup. I've done several 0-140+-0 runs with no fade. So, I'd say the pads will work well in just about any situation you can think of.

Since one of the questions was comparision with Carbotech Panther Plus, curious, what are the operating temps and the coefficient of friction for the Hawk HP+ and HPS?

The Carbotech Panther Plus has a range of 150F-1250F with a 0.54-0.56 coefficient of friction. The Bobcats have a temp range up to 900F.

Hrant said:
Since one of the questions was comparision with Carbotech Panther Plus, curious, what are the operating temps and the coefficient of friction for the Hawk HP+ and HPS?

The Carbotech Panther Plus has a range of 150F-1250F with a 0.54-0.56 coefficient of friction. The Bobcats have a temp range up to 900F.

This is all the website says about them. If you click on race pads they tell you operating temps.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/product_features.cfm

Last edited:
Back