• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Has anyone owned an NSX and a 300zxtt ?

I'm just curious how these two cars compare from someone who has owned both. I have had a '91 zx twin turbo since '97 and love the car, but I've always wanted an NSX. I live in an area of about two hundred thousand people, and while I see tt's every day, I'm lucky if I see one NSX a year, and I suspect it's the same car I catch a glimpse of. I would love to hear of comparrison stories.

I had a 1990 300ZX TT when they first came out. It was a great car and I still do a double-take whenever I see one on the road. It's been 14 years since I've been in a 300ZX, but I can clearly remember the driving experience. The car has more torque and probably feels faster than the NSX, but I'm sure it isn't. The cabin feel is very similar, except that you have a hatchback and we have a firewall. The NSX overall feels much tighter than the Z, my NSX doesn't have the power assist steering, and I actually prefer it this way. The great thing about the Z was that you could add on go-fast mods very cheaply and get 500hp within the blink of an eye. I had so much fun with my HKS EVC and VPC. The cost to mod and NSX is much more expensive, but there is less of a market for go-fast mods because of the limited production numbers.

I'm always scanning the autotrader for nice 300ZX TT, but the one's for sale down here i nFlorida are all beaten up and too heavily modded for my taste. I recommend that you at least get a drive in an NSX before you sell your Z. If you can keep both that would be great. In fact, I'd be jealous of you.:smile:

NsXMas said:
DocL - why did you sell the the ZX?

I loved the 300ZX when they first came out, but never had the chance to own one. Now that I have the NSX I don't think I'll ever own one, but they sure look nice.

I may get a 350Z / G35 coupe in the future, though, for daily driving. :)

I had no time to drive it during my first year of dental school, and parking in Boston was a PITA. That car is one of the few that I regret ever selling.

DocL said:
I had no time to drive it during my first year of dental school, and parking in Boston was a PITA. That car is one of the few that I regret ever selling.
Good reasons. I had a 91 240SX Coupe that I really enjoyed, but sold it because it was an automatic and wanted to learn to drive manual. I did wish all the time tho that I had the 300ZX instead of the 240SX. It was my dream car at the time.

My Z has the Jim Wolf ecu, a Fedanza aluminum flywheel along with their performance clutch, test pipes, along with a Borla exhaust system, and of course a K&N intake system. The tt stock hp is 300. The JW ecu reportedly gives you 65hp, and with the other mods on paper I'm probably somewhere around 400hp. It is nice, and I'll be keeping it, but this year one way or another I'm going to get a used NSX, my true dream car. By the way, my wife has a '93 Supra tt. This would be a nice trio.

I had a '95 arctic pearl white 300ZX twin turbo before purchasing a Supra then looking into NSX's. Mods on the TTZ were JWT ECU, test pipes, split flange downpipes, JWT POP intake, HKS hiper cat-back, injectors and boost controller. In comparison the Z pulled much harder accelleration-wise than an NSX but weighed a ton which affected it's handling. The super HICAS (4-wheel steering) ruined driver feedback and made the car feel vague. Stillen makes a kit to eliminate that though. The NSX has MUCH better brakes too...the 300ZX's brakes has always been it's achiiles heel too but a BBK will fix that. If you're looking for accelleration the Z is great though and like the NSX, it still turns heads after all these years. Here was my Z....cosmetically, it had
OEM '99 Nissan JDM front end conversion, OEM JDM tailights, Eibach springs, Racing Hart M5's etc...

Except for your spoilers, your Z look's much like mine (same color) I did install the Stillen Hicas eliminator, four wheel steering sounds good, but mine always felt like something was loose in the rear end.

I drove several 300ZX's when they first came out, and I remember they had/have huge leg room. I bet those cars could seat a 7-footer easy. :biggrin:

My good friend has one. I've always admired it. I almost picked one up instead of the NSX, because I liked his so damn much.
img.php
[/URL][/IMG]
img.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I actually had both at the same time and just sold my Z this past January.

Different types of cars in that the Z really is heavy and you feel it when you drive them back to back. The NSX is pretty easy to work on and very simple in it's make up ( those that own Z's know what I mean ). Brakes are bad on the Z because of it's weight and do heat up quick if you track the car. The NSX's brakes are fabulous. It's one of the few cars I've ever driven that you can drive hard at the track and not glaze the brakes over..incredible. Z's seats are very comfy ,but don't hold you like the NSX's in hard corners. Z is much more mod friendly ,but that's a blessing and a curse. Anyone who has a Z knows they can be money pits.

If you plan on keeping both keep the NSX stock while you learn to drive it and use the Z for you high hp fixes.

I also regret selling my diamond black pearl 91' tt. It had 400hp when I purchased it from the original owner who had a collection of 4 300zx's. I finished off the bolt-ons with a few hundred bucks and ended up near 500hp. The LSD, transmission, and engine were/are all incredibly durable; only held 3.5 quarts of oil as well! A little known fact is that the VGD30TT engine of the 300zx turbo produces the most torque per horsepower of any japanese engine ever producded, still to this day. It isn't rare to have numbers like 400rwhp/450rwtq. The stock brakes are actually quite good, better than almost all the competition it had upon its debue. However, as mentioned, they did not inspire much confidence on the track as the NSX does, which is extremely rare.

I'm lurking for a 97+ coupe until I have enough funds to actively go search for exactly what I want. Sold the Z my freshman year of college as parking was too expensive to keep it. I still keep in contact with the gentleman I sold the car to, the zcar community is surely one of a kind.

Do a search, this has definitely been asked before. I know, because I answered it and I owned a modified 91 300zx tt and now I own an NSX. Each are great cars, raw HP the Z is always going to win if you can throw cash at boost. But for looks, performance and reliability - you simply cannot beat the NSX. Oh, and I'm getting a CTSC, so I think I'll have the NSX power right where I want it.:biggrin:

Know it has been asked before, likely many times. I enjoyed this thread already for a few fresh thoughts. My 300ZX is NOT a TT, but it is still near and dear.
Owned 1984 and 1988 300Z's (both 2 + 2 autos), plus '90 Maxima SE. When the new 1990 300ZX came out, I knew I would buy one, some day. Some day came June, 2003.
Somehow (duh!!!!), the NSX makes my NA 300ZX 2+2 seem mundane.
But I'll be keeping it, because it is STILL a lot of fun and all the other ones in Michigan are rust buckets and trashed. :eek: Second owner, 63 K orig. TX miles.

Wing Z as always, great observations.
DocL you must be team dentist for the hockey club once, there in Beantown.
sahtt yea, agreed. Z-CAR clubs are strong.

The NSX vs. ______ threads have always been curious to me. It seems strange that people will post to mention that the topic has been done, but there is always new insight added each time. For myself I know that the threads are a great source for first-hand experiences regarding several cars, and that not many people may even think to look up the threads which turn out to be entertaining and informative. They are both superb cars that will likely be compared and discussed many times in the future, and they deserve it.

P.S. Your Z's all look great!

I've had 3 tt's....the last being a 95' 410whp stock turbo monster. I loved those cars. Reason I got rid of the last one was because I watched in horror as they got more and more affordable and became accessible to the younger crowd. I was almost embarrassed to own the car seeing what others did to them.

As far as comparison between the Z and NSX:my Z was definitely faster in a straight line. However, the NSX kills it in braking and handling. Also, you see Z's more often than you see NSX's. All in all, I loved the Z's, though.

7d6bb795.jpg

8da3212c.jpg

Last edited:
My friend just sold his Z. It was a great car. The biggest difference I thought between the two cars (stock) was the Z felt way faster beacause of the TQ.

I have always loved the 300zx TT. It is a great car. That said, my friend really wants a NSX. :)

Talking of 300ZX's, I have a 92 2+2 5sp Pearl / tan with 68K which I've owned since 98 for sale. If anyone knows anyone, send them my way. They certainly are great cars!!

lots of threads about this already. i think i've posted in all of them as i too came from a 400+ HP 1990 300zxtt (jim wolf/stillen mods).

Pic from the weekend. I love my friends car...basically what got me into looking at older NSX's. There's something about owning a classic that I can't explain.

I had a 400hp '92 300ZX TT before I bought the NSX. Lots of people have already chimed in, so if you're interested in my take then go ahead and PM me. Love both cars, by the way.

Hey guys,

I've had a 91 TT 300ZX since 1994 and I enjoyed it. It's basically stock except for exhaust, brake lines. I've always wanted an NSX and plan to get one in the next few years (at least a 95 - possibly 97) with Targa, manual, and any color is fine as long as it's black :biggrin: . I've never sat in one -- let alone driven one. And I have a few questions...

Isn't the NSX a little faster stock vs. stock?

How does the ride quality (harshness) compare?

Do you miss power steering?

Thanx guys

p.s. I like the positive comments you give the ZX -- a little more positive than I think the ZX enthusiasts give the NSX on the TT forum. But I believe there is a bit of the 'sour grapes' analogy there.

Last edited:
Here's my answers to your questions. Obviously others will have different opinions.

ZX4NSX said:
Hey guys,

I've had a 91 TT 300ZX since 1994 and I enjoyed it. It's basically stock except for exhaust, brake lines. I've always wanted an NSX and plan to get one in the next few years (at least a 95 - possibly 97) with Targa, manual, and any color is fine as long as it's black :biggrin: . I've never sat in one -- let alone driven one. And I have a few questions...

Isn't the NSX a little faster stock vs. stock?

I would say so. The NSX doesn't "feel" as fast because you don't have the turbo spoolup. However, it is sneaky. All of a sudden you are doing 8k RPM. I do miss the seat-of-the-pants feel of my 400HP ZX, but not enough to sell the NSX and get another one. Bottom line, I believe that the NSX is faster stock for stock in a straight line. However, if you are looking for straight line performance, the NSX is definitely not your car anyway.

ZX4NSX said:
How does the ride quality (harshness) compare?

The NSX definitely rides much harder. The 300ZX is a touring car, whereas the NSX is a track car. The NSX is also much lighter, which adds to the feeling.

ZX4NSX said:
Do you miss power steering?

No. Once again, the car is very light, and it is mid-engined. As long as the car is moving, you won't notice that it doesn't have power steering.

ZX4NSX said:
Thanx guys

p.s. I like the positive comments you give the ZX -- a little more positive than I think the ZX enthusiasts give the NSX on the TT forum. But I believe there is a bit of the 'sour grapes' analogy there.

I believe that you're right. Both are great cars and are very different. You'll also notice that the members of this board tend to be a little bit older, as the cars are that much more expensive. Age tends to add temperance in some cases. Finally, I would be willing to say that many more NSX owners have previously owned 300ZXTTs, whereas fewer Z owners have previously owned NSXs.

Good luck with your purchase!

ecadwell said:
The NSX definitely rides much harder. The 300ZX is a touring car, whereas the NSX is a track car. The NSX is also much lighter, which adds to the feeling.

I hope it's not as hard as the 'Sport' setting on the TT ZX -- that's a pretty rough ride unless you're on smooth asphalt. Any thoughts about that?

Back