haggling

negotiations are fine, low balling right 'out of the gate' will always just piss people off. if you are that cheap, go to the auction or quit convincing yourself you can really afford one (and no, i am not referring to how much you make, how many houses you have etc.- that is not the point)

i always negotiate too, but i also know the limits. a little class helps.

For the edit. I don't need one that's the point. The only one I want is one I can get cheap and if I can't get it cheap then I don't want it.

You know for some people it's not even about the money it's about the deal or the value in the deal. I will feel a lot better about the car if I get it for a VERY good deal. Especially if I can get the deal on it I got on the last NSX, drive it for 4 years and sell it at a profit. :biggrin:

ok, so basically your posts and opinion on this here subject are completely irrelevent to this discussion as people who reply to this post are at some level emotionally involved in the purchase and are relating to the seller who appreciates the car too- now you see why there is no synergy here.
your approach is purely speculative so you may just as well be buying a tractor or an appliance. if you have to justify a purchase on the basis that you underpaid for it and you can make money on it in the future then you probably should not buy it in the first place, right?
going a bit further, if you don't care then why be on prime engaging in arguments that have no consequence?

ok, so basically your posts and opinion on this here subject are completely irrelevent to this discussion as people who reply to this post are at some level emotionally involved in the purchase and are relating to the seller who appreciates the car too- now you see why there is no synergy here.
your approach is purely speculative so you may just as well be buying a tractor or an appliance. if you have to justify a purchase on the basis that you underpaid for it and you can make money on it in the future then you probably should not buy it in the first place, right?
going a bit further, if you don't care then why be on prime engaging in arguments that have no consequence?

So if his reasons for buying his own cars is different than the "norm", he shouldn't buy? I think everyone has their own reasons. Whether it be the guy who wants to buy a mint 91 for a garage queen to the guy who wants an 05 to turn into the ultimate track rat. It's their money, their car, their choice.

This whole forum is here to help eachother out and every now and then you run into a different view. That's what makes it great. If everyone thought the same and did everything exactly the same, I wouldn't want to be a part of Prime. How boring would that be?

if you don't care then why be on prime engaging in arguments that have no consequence?

so I can piss people off. :biggrin:

your approach is purely speculative so you may just as well be buying a tractor or an appliance.

I rarely involve emotions and money. Everything is pretty much the same to me when it comes to buying most anything. It's all about the value in the deal. Price is never the concern.

It's risk management. If I can mitigate all my risk on the buy side I will enjoy the item much more while I own it. If I get something for less then it's worth I gain instant equity and even more leverage. You seem like a smart guy I am sure you understand what I am getting at.

"So if his reasons for buying his own cars is different than the "norm", he shouldn't buy? I think everyone has their own reasons. Whether it be the guy who wants to buy a mint 91 for a garage queen to the guy who wants an 05 to turn into the ultimate track rat. It's their money, their car, their choice."

you are missing the point- the discussion was to try to explain why people get pissed off when low-balled on their toy.

so I can piss people off. :biggrin:

ok, that explains why you do it- fine with me it just seems like a waste of effort.

"I rarely involve emotions and money. Everything is pretty much the same to me when it comes to buying most anything. It's all about the value in the deal. Price is never the concern. "

absolutely, but when you engage in conversations on enthusiast forum where you treat 'their toy' like a speculative commodity, you will never agree on anything.

"It's risk management. If I can mitigate all my risk on the buy side I will enjoy the item much more while I own it. If I get something for less then it's worth I gain instant equity and even more leverage. You seem like a smart guy I am sure you understand what I am getting at.
"

i bought my nsx well below value also, i know how it works.

basically the entire point of this exercise was to show the futility of argumentation between sides that have nothing in common.
no disrespect to STEVENY, just this approach to entertaining himself leads nowhere.

"

no disrespect to STEVENY, just this approach to entertaining himself leads nowhere.

None taken. To assume it leads nowhere is a real stretch. Everything I own I paid less then it's worth, including the last NSX I owned.

You knw I put in hundreds of offers on RE every month. Out of 100 maybe two will stick, but hey it brings the desperate sellers out of the wood work. The last deal I negotiated for a prime member I was able to get the price down 20% and we arn't talking about over valued RE up here in the NE either. Not a short sale just a seller up against the wall. We must have hammered away on 50 properties before one sticked. Now all the risk is gone out of the property right up front. If a problem comes up it is already priced in. If there isn't a problem,well even better.

None taken. To assume it leads nowhere is a real stretch. Everything I own I paid less then it's worth, including the last NSX I owned.

You knw I put in hundreds of offers on RE every month. Out of 100 maybe two will stick, but hey it brings the desperate sellers out of the wood work. The last deal I negotiated for a prime member I was able to get the price down 20% and we arn't talking about over valued RE up here in the NE either. Not a short sale just a seller up against the wall. We must have hammered away on 50 properties before one sticked. Now all the risk is gone out of the property right up front. If a problem comes up it is already priced in. If there isn't a problem,well even better.

So, Steveny, my question to you, how do you know when you have achieved "value". What is something "worth", to you?

I am not sure if part of this was directed at me for offering 10% less on the car I was interested in but here goes. I offered him that much because that is what I thought was a fair price given the information I had. He didn't even know when the timing belt had been done last and appeared to believe the water pump had never been replaced. If he really loved his car he would know more about it. That really scared me since he had a lot of miles on the car. The service department at Acura of Las Vegas gave me a different opinion of the car. However, if he is the one who drove it for 60k miles than his opinion matters a good deal.

Anyway, I have sold cars before so I am nice to people(often too nice) in the way I deal with them. I try not to waste their time and give them my intentions right from the get-go. I am not the silent type.

So, Steveny, my question to you, how do you know when you have achieved "value". What is something "worth", to you?

Priced below what the market will pay. A quote I am known for..."I am not here to debate what it's worth, I know what it's worth, I am here to debate what I will pay for it. I know what it's worth and that is what I want to sell it for not buy it for."

I am upfront wih people when I am buying something from someone. This summer I bought a car from a lady that needed money. I told here upfront exactly what my plans were for the car. I told her I was going to have it detailed and advertise it and sell it for 50% more than I was paying her for the car. I told her that is what she should do to make more money from her sale. I even offered her the detailers number. All she wanted was quick money. So I bought the car and sold it. She was still pissed. What more could I have done?

vegasspeed, sorry to hijack the tread, i was not questioning your decisions.
guys, please allow me to the point i was trying to make.

there is nothing wrong with making a deal (circumstances will depend on your values of course), the issue arises when you are trying to make a deal in an environment thats emotional about the product and you are completely aware of the fact that your actions will create distress. if that is what makes you tick, whatever, but why then be an active part of that environment (with 7000 posts) if you can go 'hustle' elswhere where people don't care? is purpously pissing people off really that rewarding?
i mean to me it sounds a bit disturbed.

vegasspeed, sorry to hijack the tread, i was not questioning your decisions.
guys, please allow me to the point i was trying to make.

there is nothing wrong with making a deal (circumstances will depend on your values of course), the issue arises when you are trying to make a deal in an environment thats emotional about the product and you are completely aware of the fact that your actions will create distress. if that is what makes you tick, whatever, but why then be an active part of that environment (with 7000 posts) if you can go 'hustle' elswhere where people don't care? is purpously pissing people off really that rewarding?
i mean to me it sounds a bit disturbed.

Yeah I am nuts man.:biggrin: I am not looking to cause distress. I am looking for distress that already exists.
Go back and find the person who told you life was fair and let them know they lied to you.

BTW, I only have 6975 posts but we can just call it 7k. whats 25 dollars er I mean posts. For you its near 10%.

if you can go 'hustle' elswhere where people don't care?

You're surprised that a guy who looks like this would "hustle" someone?

image.php

I believe you make money when you buy something not when you sell. IMO you have to haggle.

Yep, that's what my daddy always said.:biggrin:

The better the deal you get the longer you get to use the item for free.

This usually pisses off the people who are no good at negotiations because they have to pay a lot more to use an item.

Said in a whining voice, oh I can't sell my car for that price I would lose to much money. My reply, how is it my problem that you negotiated a bad deal for yourself when you bought the item?

Back