haggling

That is exactly what situation I am going through. I offered him 10% less and came back with 5% less. He seemed rather annoyed at me for some reason though. I am not sure exactly what it was that I did that bothered him.

That is exactly what situation I am going through. I offered him 10% less and came back with 5% less. He seemed rather annoyed at me for some reason though. I am not sure exactly what it was that I did that bothered him.

The only problem with offering 10% less is you risk divulging information if you can really go to 5%. The scenario typically goes like this.
Owner: Lists his car at what he thinks is legitimate price and tells himself he will only sell the car for a little less
Buyer: Offers 10% less with no real information showing the seller it is worth 10% less
Owner: Tells buyer to get lost in a nice way
Buyer: Comes back with 5%
Owner: Realizing buyer has room to move, offers 1% less or worse, does not move at all because he is pissed off.
Buyer: Now has to decide whether he wants to pay between 5% and 1%

The other approach is:
Buyer: after researching the car, discovers it is accurately priced. Offers the seller 6% less than list and tells him thats all he has
Seller: ...liking the person because his offer is close and feels for him, offers him 3%
Buyer: Tells buyer he needs to borrow some money from grandma to make up the difference, offers 4.5%
Seller: thinks he is nice to grandma, sells him the car for 4.5%!!

The above assumes:
1. car is accurately priced
2. seller does not need to sell the car immediately
3. private sale

my 2 cents

About haggling … I might be the only one where the seller talked me down -- was willing to offer 4k more than I paid, but the seller pointed out that the paint was fried. At the time I was looking at the mechanical condition of the car. It was and still is in perfect shape. I took the 4k, applied it to the repaint, and now the car is great in all ways.:smile:
There’s no telling what kind of deals you’re going to run into.

The car I am referring to is the Yellow 97' NSX with 119k miles on it. The guy still hasn't fixed his CV boots on the car that need fixing. I don't care what the Wiki says. The car isn't worth 30-32k dollars, no way. I would like find a someone who will buy the car with that many miles on it in this economy. I told him the comression test was fishy and it could be something small or something big and need a rebuild. He didn't say much but just said he wouldn't sell it for $27k. He wanted 30 for it. He has had very few serious buyers look at the car. I have feeling he will come back to me in a couple weeks but by then I will have moved on and probably buy something else.

The car I am referring to is the Yellow 97' NSX with 119k miles on it. The guy still hasn't fixed his CV boots on the car that need fixing. I don't care what the Wiki says. The car isn't worth 30-32k dollars, no way. I would like find a someone who will buy the car with that many miles on it in this economy. I told him the comression test was fishy and it could be something small or something big and need a rebuild. He didn't say much but just said he wouldn't sell it for $27k. He wanted 30 for it. He has had very few serious buyers look at the car. I have feeling he will come back to me in a couple weeks but by then I will have moved on and probably buy something else.

If you don't have your heart set on a car move on there are plenty good cars. Seller knows what condition his car is in and what his bottem price is.

Think I can squeeze 5% from these guys? [click here] They want $70k :eek:

Thats a pipe dream. You can find several (overpriced IMHO) 2002s with half those miles for less than that!

Plus the yellow interior has got to wipe out 90% of the buyers.

Thats a pipe dream. You can find several (overpriced IMHO) 2002s with half those miles for less than that!

Plus the yellow interior has got to wipe out 90% of the buyers.

I was really kidding. $70k is not even close. (IMO I hate the yellow interior too). I know I will kick myself for not jumping on THIS but, I have not even tried an NSX yet. So, I could not commit to the $55k. (But its killing me, non the less now that it's sold)

Greetings
I don't haggle when I sell cars. I price them at the value they are worth and then I sell them. I don't need the money in a hurry, so I don't have to discount them. Just my thoughts.

Make sure that you get a PPI on it before buying.

Martin

"i'd say 30k is pretty fair for a 97"

I would say the 97 must be beat if its $30k. Its probably not the miles, 120k mi. is not really that bad for a 97.
I have not seen a 97 sell for under 30k with a straight frame & clean title.

well, thats something that neither you or i know, so based on what the original poster says, thats pretty cheap. apparently it can't be that bad if he keeps on coming back to it. obviously we are not talking about a perfect car- if you are then you have not read the posts. don't assume.

i also hate "haggelers" i typicall tell them its not a garage sale, go away....

I also love its when some one tells me "but its only $xxxx, why cant you come off your price? I meen for $xxxx you will let me walk and not buy this item?" my response is...."if its only $xxxx, and that has such little value to you, why cant you pay it for the item? you are really going to walk when you are that close?" :cool: makes them so mad, then i explain how embarrassed i would be, to be so close to owning what I would like, and just could not come off that extra little $xxxx...........cause after all, it was really only $xxxx.

Everyone has their own opinions when it comes to buying and selling cars. My feeling when buying private party is the deal should seem fair to both the buyer and seller. Now that could be determined on the local market of buyers and sellers. If nobody is buying cars and you are trying to sell your car, you will have to understand the haggling that comes with selling a car.

Here is the big thing with a used NSX. People love to use KBB as their price guide or base for what a used car should sell for. Now I know people on here think the car is worth more but in the general world of selling cars if you can't get acessed value written down somewhere than it is hard to sell it for so much.

I think especially in this market people are not going to see a lot buyers for high priced cars where you need cash. I think everyone is holding onto their money right now.

i also hate "haggelers" i typicall tell them its not a garage sale, go away....

I also love its when some one tells me "but its only $xxxx, why cant you come off your price? I meen for $xxxx you will let me walk and not buy this item?" my response is...."if its only $xxxx, and that has such little value to you, why cant you pay it for the item? you are really going to walk when you are that close?" :cool: makes them so mad, then i explain how embarrassed i would be, to be so close to owning what I would like, and just could not come off that extra little $xxxx...........cause after all, it was really only $xxxx.

Thats my favorite too...its only $500...well if its ONLY $500, pay it then

Thats my favorite too...its only $500...well if its ONLY $500, pay it then

Well if you buy enough stuff 500 here and 500 there adds up to real money. I seldom haggle on thing I need but I things I want I will haggle. I bet collectively over the period of my life time I have save a substantial amount of money haggling.

Think about it....I buy at least 200 appliances a year. 50 bucks off each one is 10k, and that is just appliances. Figure in plywood, shingles, carpet etc it adds up to way over 100k a year.

I feel haggling is ok if the price is up on the scale. I also feel some people don't appreiciate a seller sometimes. I have not tested the market alot to be truthful on my nsx, but I know what I would like to get, and I know what I would be happy getting, but the actual selling price will be decided.

"Here is the big thing with a used NSX. People love to use KBB as their price guide or base for what a used car should sell for. Now I know people on here think the car is worth more but in the general world of selling cars if you can't get acessed value written down somewhere than it is hard to sell it for so much."

Being involved with special interest cars for as many years as I have, I disagree 100%. The small % of folks that try and use KBB with specialty cars generally get run off quickly. Most get weeded out over the phone.
Please tell the seller's on the 1st call you value NSX's based on KBB. It will save you time and frustration.

Just ask if they are firm on their price. If they say no, try and get an idea prior to wasting anyone's time. If its more than your willing to spend, just stay home. If its within your budget and you can get _% knocked off great! Just don't expect it. Almost all NSX owners are fairly sharp and did not get to the point of ownership making foolish transactions.

Almost all NSX owners are fairly sharp and did not get to the point of ownership making foolish transactions.

The guy who has the 96 in UT is defiantly going to have to pick up his sales game if he is going to sell his car. I picked him off within 30 seconds. He needs to be honest about the car or he is not going to sell it.

You know I am currently in the market for another NSX but not just any NSX. It is a special car I am looking for. I need to find a car owned by someone who is in between a rock and a hard place. The only way to do that is to offer them what I am willing to pay for their car. I would think people would be happy that I just come right out and offer the price I am willing to pay before I waste their time. The ones who are all snotty or pissed off by my low offer, those are the ones who really need to sell quick and can't get their asking price. They are for seeing the future and know they aren't going to get the price they want. Anyways just an observation.

You know I am currently in the market for another NSX but not just any NSX. It is a special car I am looking for. I need to find a car owned by someone who is in between a rock and a hard place. The only way to do that is to offer them what I am willing to pay for their car. I would think people would be happy that I just come right out and offer the price I am willing to pay before I waste their time.

When I am selling a car, I do appreciate this approach. However, its usually followed several days later by another, better offer.

The ones who are all snotty or pissed off by my low offer, those are the ones who really need to sell quick and can't get their asking price. They are for seeing the future and know they aren't going to get the price they want. Anyways just an observation.

I disagree. It seems many people that have a NSX for sale are just not that interested in selling. If they get a good price they will, but if not, they will continue to enjoy it. At least thats what I am seeing in the NA2 market.

^ I agree. I dont mean to stereotype of generalize, but it seems that many NSX owners would rather sit on their car then negotiate a price too much lower then they are willing to sell their car at (espeically 2002+). However, if you go to other car forums, you will see ppl dropping prices left and right! Perhaps this is a demographical aspect of NSX ownership.

^ I agree. I dont mean to stereotype of generalize, but it seems that many NSX owners would rather sit on their car then negotiate a price too much lower then they are willing to sell their car at (espeically 2002+). However, if you go to other car forums, you will see ppl dropping prices left and right! Perhaps this is a demographical aspect of NSX ownership.

So you may have to piss of many to find the few.

i wonder how YOU respond when the tactic is applied to you.

negotiations are fine, low balling right 'out of the gate' will always just piss people off. if you are that cheap or need a 'great deal' that badly, go to the auction or quit convincing yourself you can really afford one (and no, i am not referring to how much you make, how many houses you have etc.- that is not the point)

i always negotiate too, but i also know the limits. a little class goes a long way.
notice i am not attacking your integrity, i don't even know you, but i have been exposed to the attitude you are portraying here and while you may save a lot of money that way, shrewedness does not always translate well into every aspect of your life.

Last edited by a moderator:
i wonder how YOU respond when the tactic is applied to you.

If I need to sell or just want to get rid of the item I sell it. There really is a beauty in taking less money to get rid of something fast, especially if you value your time. It's people who don't value their time that often are held back by that very quality. You can waste hours of your life trying to sell or hold out to sell a car at a price that is way below the value of your time. I simply don't like to screw around and do the "dick dance" when it comes to buying or selling an item.

The saying goes, The first offer you get on something is usually the best offer. Keep track of items you sell because this usually rings true. But don't forget to add in your time and the hassle of going back to the table to negotiate every new deal. I am sure your time must be worth something and piece of mind is priceless.

You know ebay is a great example. Most people put their item up on ebay for (says loudly starting low pitch and ending high) NO RESERVE, but then starts the auction out right at the price the item is worth, this says hey I will sell my item for more than it's worth or at least what it's worth. Then there are those sellers who put up an auction no reserve and end it just before it is scheduled to end because the item didn't get to their asking price. Then the sellers who put up an item no reserve and have their buddies place the first bid on it for what the seller wants to sell it for. There are so many different types of sellers out there but there are only two types of buyers those who get deals and those who pay market price.

BTW when I put an item on ebay I start it at 1 dollar no reserve and I don't have my buddy bid on it. What ever the auction ends at is what the buyer pays. Most of the time I sell the item way before the end of the auction usually within 2 days of the auction ending. My jet skis are a good example. They were worth 5 grand more then I sold them for but a local guy who picked them up and paid in cash did a no bullshit transaction with me and for me it's way worth the 5 grand to have a no bullshit transaction compared to waiting for a check to clear, waiting for a buyer to show up then try and buy the item for less then the auction ended for, having to ship or deliver the item. I would rather take less and just have the thing done with.
After typing this last part I think I realized...when I am done with an item I am just done with it.

Back