haggling

I am traveling to Vegas next week for my first test drive of an NSX. I hope it's everything I expect it to be. Assuming the car is what I want, I will be really looking at prices. I was wondering if you blessed owners out there could help with your story: what car you were looking for (year, mileage, color, etc), what the asking price was then what you paid.

This would be a great help in negotiating a deal, because, as I look at current asking prices, I never get to see how much the car actually sold for.

Thanks

That is a good question but it is unlikely most people will tell you what they paid. The reason for that is in case they decide to sell their car they don't want to concede to a lower price because they paid a low price themselves. I could be all wrong on this one though. BTW, I live in Vegas myself and I am looking for a NSX as well. What year are you looking for and how much are you looking to spend? There were a few in a local Autotrader and there is a yellow/yellow 04 at Acura of Las Vegas as well.

There is always be factors such as mileage, color, and condition. If it is a white, green or purple colors, they are rare. The most colors you see are black, red and silver. You can always ask for a lower price, worse come to worse, the owner reject your offer. However, if it is the color you want, and the condition you desired, you may want to jump on without hasitation since NSX do move fast.

If it is a beater, you can factor in some of the potential repair cost. Service is not exactly a Civic and a good owner should keep the car service up to date. T-Belt, water pump and all other belts are extremely important. You don't want to get a NSX that is

Make sure when you test drive it, go through the following:
Interior:
Head unit and Speakers; make sure you don't have a burnt out speaker set (left and right)
Door seals
Roll the window up and down make sure it is tight
Seat leathers and dash condition.
Trunk and Hatch struts, see if they will hold them up.

Exterior:
Look for VIN stickers on all visible panels
Repaint is OK if the job is done right. Many NSX owners will repaint part of the car due to scratch, dent removal and rock chips.
See if all the panels are aligned properly.

Drivetran:
On earlier cars, it may take up to 10 minutes to warm up. After it is warmed up, feel the VTEC to see if it revs freely up to redline.
Check for clutch, make sure it does grip.
Also on early NA1, check for snap ring range. If it is, ask for proof if it has been fixed.

Other than the list above, they check out OK, you should expect to pay market value.

If there are mods, find out what they are. If the car is tastfully done, that's a very good bonus. If the car is weird parts on it, find out what they are so you can do an assessment if you ever need to put back the original parts.

Any one feel like to add to the list, please do so.

Hello! The one problem you will run into with this question is the time factor. Most people on here have had their NSXs for quite some time, so the economic climate that they were purchased in is much different than the current one. All told I would expect that with the current state of the economy, with luxury items now being liquidated by those who may be re-thinking their finances, you should be able to get a much better price now than several of us did when the economy was in a much healthier state. Plus, you really need to do an 'apples to apples' comparison, and not just a broad cross section of what people paid. For example, what a current owner paid for a '92 Formula Red / Onyx NSX with 50,000 miles 4 years ago, will be wildly different than what another owner paid for their '04 Spa Yellow / Onyx NSX with 4,000 miles 6 months ago. Just because they are both NSXs does not make it a valid comparison. You really have to look at the exact car you are looking to purchase and then find recent vehicles of the same specs. That is the only way you will get an accurate gauge. Even then, service history and general condition play a factor. So at the end of the day you really need to be honest with yourself and find out what you would feel comfortable paying, and what price would make you feel you got a fair deal on the car you are looking at. I hope this helps, and good luck to you. :smile:

To the contrary, this is exactly the information I was trying to attain. If, as in Meeyatch1's example, 6 months ago a '04 Spa Yellow / Onyx NSX with 4,000 miles, and let’s say the asking price was $68000 and they paid $640000 vs a '92 Formula Red / Onyx NSX with 50,000 miles bought 4 years ago and that person paid $34000 but the asking price was $36000 then I could assume the average "haggle" would allow for about 6%.

However, as VegasSpeed said I will probably not get that information here and even if I did, you may be right and I would end up with useless information. (But I doubt it):smile:

Its no different from any other car when it comes to making the deal.
In the past the hard part was finding the right one. More on the market
right now so it might be easier. On the other hand, more dogs out there now too.
You will get more help if you tell us the year / price range / and condition you are looking for /at. Your post is very vague. Also, try not to fall in love with the 1st one you test drive. I test drove 12 prior to purchase. Was looking for low miles, but ended up with an example with average miles in solid "A" cond with the mods I wanted. I found some sellers rate their cars condition differently than I do. Also what are you looking for? Garage queen? Daily driver? Best deal possible? etc.
Something else I have noticed. Lots of cars on the market right now, but prices do not have seem to have changed much? Maybe they will? Maybe they wont? As we get closer to summer this might change.
Most owners paid cash for their cars. Many are looking to move up into something else rather than just scrambling for cash.
My advice to you is do not get in a hurry and find the right car.
Its great owning a perfect example that looks brand new, fires up in a micro second and drives better than new. Worth much more than saving a couple of bucks up front and living with a sub-standard example.

I am traveling to Vegas next week for my first test drive of an NSX. I hope it's everything I expect it to be. Assuming the car is what I want, I will be really looking at prices. I was wondering if you blessed owners out there could help with your story: what car you were looking for (year, mileage, color, etc), what the asking price was then what you paid.

This would be a great help in negotiating a deal, because, as I look at current asking prices, I never get to see how much the car actually sold for.

Thanks

I was looking for a particular car when I was looking to buy a NSX. After looking at more cars then I could count then finding the one I wanted I didn't haggle at all on the price and I am a haggler.

Believe me if you are lucky enough to find the one you want early in your search you have saved enough money right there even if you pay a reasonable full asking price

Believe me if you are lucky enough to find the one you want early in your search you have saved enough money right there even if you pay a reasonable full asking price

I inspected 4 cars $200bucks a piece nation wide before buying mine

I did not drive my NSX when I bought, I sat in the passenger seat and listened to te gearbox and engine and suspension.

Buyers lack of experience with NSX is going may annoy sellers.

"I was looking for a particular car when I was looking to buy a NSX. After looking at more cars then I could count then finding the one I wanted I didn't haggle at all on the price and I am a haggler."

Agree......... I think I paid about $500.00 or 1000 less

After looking at more cars then I could count then finding the one I wanted I didn't haggle at all on the price and I am a haggler.

True story. Im an Acura dealer and it took me over a year and a half and 30 NSX's before I settled on the one. I paid the full asking price and called it quits. I was tired of searching, summer was approaching and Red/Black, bone stock 5 speeds with under 30K miles seemed non-existant. Over 4 years later, I coulnd't be happier. If the prev. owner could only see her now. I still remember telling him how I planned to keep her bone stock forever. I bought her on Sunday, Monday A.M I was on the the phone with Comptech buying lowering springs:redface:

Hey Hoodoo,

Which cars are you looking at down here? I may have already looked at some of them. I offered 3k less than asking price and one such person is not biting on it. Part of my reasons are the compression test I had done on the car. I would say anywhere between 10-15% off the asking price is a good deal maybe?

To the contrary, this is exactly the information I was trying to attain. If, as in Meeyatch1's example, 6 months ago a '04 Spa Yellow / Onyx NSX with 4,000 miles, and let’s say the asking price was $68000 and they paid $640000 vs a '92 Formula Red / Onyx NSX with 50,000 miles bought 4 years ago and that person paid $34000 but the asking price was $36000 then I could assume the average "haggle" would allow for about 6%.

However, as VegasSpeed said I will probably not get that information here and even if I did, you may be right and I would end up with useless information. (But I doubt it):smile:

But you are making a large assumption that the person is asking more than the car is worth, allowing room to haggle. If your car is actually under priced, and you try to haggle 6% lower, how far do you think you will get with that?

Every car is different by miles, condition and mods. It so hard to compare and NSX to another NSX. The years are different so that changes what they came with such as 3.2L engine, Targa tops, power steering and 6 speed gearbox. All of which make a HUGE difference in which year you might want to buy the car. Seriously, I was toying with the idea of ordering a new M3 coupe. I figure after I am done putting everything into my NSX it will cost upwards of that much.

But you are making a large assumption that the person is asking more than the car is worth, allowing room to haggle. If your car is actually under priced, and you try to haggle 6% lower, how far do you think you will get with that?

I know alot of people think that way. Most people start off negotiating the price down because they think the seller is over pricing the car to begin with.

I think the flip side to that is alot of people are cheap and think that because the car is priced more than they can or want to pay, it must be overpriced.

Bottom line is that any car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

On another note, if the seller has ben trying to sell for a while he may have already lowered his price and may not be willing to go much lower.

After spending weeks, months traveling around looking at NSX's when you find the right one you will not be worrying about a couple %'s points.

You might be surprised how quickly PPI's, body shop inspections, travel, and your time add up.

If and when I sell my car, I hope the buyer has looked at several so he can appreciate what he is looking at. (window sticker, all paperwork, full history, no paint work, etc)

I went with a friend last weekend to look at a NSX for sale.
The car was clean and had pretty low miles. The condition was pretty good.
He took the car for a test drive and after coming back he said it drove fine and he wanted to know what i thought bout the car. I told him to counter offer with a lower price but he does not accept the offer than just take it as is. The buyer knew he can get the price he is asking for from us or anyone else that is going to look at his car.
After looking at a few other NSX's in the past, i told him he is getting a good deal. Sometimes is not bout the cheapest price but the quality and condition of the car which makes it a good buy.

I went with a friend last weekend to look at a NSX for sale.
The car was clean and had pretty low miles. The condition was pretty good.
He took the car for a test drive and after coming back he said it drove fine and he wanted to know what i thought bout the car. I told him to counter offer with a lower price but he does not accept the offer than just take it as is. The buyer knew he can get the price he is asking for from us or anyone else that is going to look at his car.
After looking at a few other NSX's in the past, i told him he is getting a good deal. Sometimes is not bout the cheapest price but the quality and condition of the car which makes it a good buy.

Agreed. Some people think they are "owed" something when negotiating a deal so they think they win. How about you "won" a great car at a fair price for everyone?

no matter how you put it- if the car is as described and the price is in the right range you can always ask for 5% reduction in price without pissing anyone off.

Agree, and if it does not fly and you still want the car you can always deduct
some of the mods off the selling price as a (separate sale) and save a few bucks on sales tax.

You will see what we mean after you look around then find "the one".

After 20 posts the answer is 5% :biggrin:

Just kidding. I have wanted an NSX (keep in mind I have never seen one live) after thay came out and have been drooling since. I recently admitted to myself that I can finally afford one. I started on eBay looking and was surprised that there were some listed for only $30k - $35k, that was not bad. Then I found NSX Prime, after a crash course of reading I found the years really I liked was 1997 and up. Now it would appear my budget just moved to the $40k-$45k range. But, after more looking and imagining it in my garage, the 2002+ starting to grow on me but my budget is taking a licking now.

My, newbie, thoughts are that I am going to use this car 5 months out of the year (weather permitting) and if I could acquire an average mileage 1997+ I would be very happy, but would really consider moving the budget up to land a 2002+. (White, Yellow or Black)

VegasSpeed:
I called Acura of Las Vegas this morning after your post and they all must be hiding eggs at home today.
I will contact them Monday morning to get the price of that 02. Click Here

Send me a PM if you are looking for some locally. I have an autotrader with 4 listed. Two of which I have called on in the last month. I found a nice yellow 97' but the miles were high-very high honestly. I made him an offer and it is still in Limbo. I am debating how bad I want that particular car now.

After 20 posts the answer is 5% :biggrin:

[/URL]

Agreed. after making multiple offers at 5-7% below list, and not getting any of them, my offer of 3% below list was accepted.

See http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100587 for price details. Personally I do not know why people do not disclose the price paid. If no one disclosed prices, there would be no black/blue books, and your house would be difficult to appraise. Ultimately, any item is worth what someone will pay

My 2 cents

Back