Got the 4.235 installed in my 2002 NSX T

Re: Re: Re: Got the 4.235 installed in my 2002 NSX T

AJKS said:
The ring and pinion gears are a diffrent cut (straight) for the 4.235. Pre 97 all came with the straight cut gears stock. Post 97 had angle cut gears. Diffrent rear end diff on the straigt cut and angle cut gears, so a swap to pre 96 type diff. With some light mods to the diff to make it "R" spec (by Bash) and all good to go.
Are the "modified diff to make it 'R' spec (by Bash)" readily available and what is the cost? :cool:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Got the 4.235 installed in my 2002 NSX T

nsx1 said:
Are the "modified diff to make it 'R' spec (by Bash)" readily available and what is the cost? :cool:

NSX1
It took M Basch only a day or two to prep the R diff for me. All new parts and shimmed ready for bolt in. I am not sure of the cost. Call Chris at SOS tell him you want the set up John got and see what he would charge you.

92NSX said:
Thanks for the link. When do you start spraying the NOS on your 1/4 run?

1st gear @ 3000-3500 rpm with clutch out and as long as there was no tire spin.. The Nitrous would not be on untill right at the 60 ft mark.

92NSX said:
So you aren't spraying at the launch then?

I have the Nitrous active at the launch but I do have a wide open throttle switch. So with the WOT the Nitrous will come on right after a second or so. The 60 ft times are about the same, about .03 diffrence.

Well I'm glad you are pleased with the setup and I don't doubt that it is better overall than the stock ratio in terms of performance, but I can't help thinking the hype is a bit over the top. After all, the actual acceleration difference at any given RPM can't be much more than the simple mathematical difference in gearing, which is only 4%. That's roughly the same as adding 12 hp and 9 lbs-ft torque.

And as often noted here 1/2 of the difference is perception because the same RPM is achieved at a lower mph so it "goes through the gears" faster.

Again, I'm not trying to knock it for what it is and I'm pleases you went to the trouble and shared it with us. But for a street driven car I wouldn't rate >$2200 for a 4% "gain" very high on the bang-for-buck meter even for the NSX. But it is a low impact option for someone not interested in noisy exhausts etc. so I’m sure it will attract some of those people as well as others looking for that next mod.

sjs said:
Well I'm glad you are pleased with the setup and I don't doubt that it is better overall than the stock ratio in terms of performance, but I can't help thinking the hype is a bit over the top. After all, the actual acceleration difference at any given RPM can't be much more than the simple mathematical difference in gearing, which is only 4%. That's roughly the same as adding 12 hp and 9 lbs-ft torque.

And as often noted here 1/2 of the difference is perception because the same RPM is achieved at a lower mph so it "goes through the gears" faster.

Again, I'm not trying to knock it for what it is and I'm pleases you went to the trouble and shared it with us. But for a street driven car I wouldn't rate >$2200 for a 4% "gain" very high on the bang-for-buck meter even for the NSX. But it is a low impact option for someone not interested in noisy exhausts etc. so I?m sure it will attract some of those people as well as others looking for that next mod.

Well, I agree to a certain point $2200 for .4 faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile is not much bang for the buck. It has now put a NA 2002 NSX near sub 4 second 0-60 (my goal with no Nitrous) with bolt on parts. Look at it like this If you only do IHE and weight savings one would never achieve the sub 4second 0-60 on street tires. There really is not much else you can get for the NSX to make it go fast. The R/P set up was all that was left. I LOVE the NSX (on my 4th one), I am sick of the bla, bla, bla of how they are not all that fast. Well, I went out and bought a new one and went to work and here is the almost end result..... A daily driven if you so wish, looks to kill, sub 4 second 0-60 (this will happen with no Nitrous) 12.4 second 1/4 mile, 1 plus G cornering, 175mph plus top end super car, all for under 100 grand with all the mods.

:D

No matter what you say my NSX is now .4 faster in the 1/4 mile with no other changes. That is not HYPE, it is fact. I bet there are many NSX'ers out there willing to pay $2200 bucks for the advantage on the track, and I do not mean the drag strip. The 1/4 mile is the only tool I have to measure the performance gain of a part.

AJKS,

What would you assume a completely stock 2002/2003 NSX will do in the 0-60mph and 1/4th?

Comptech "Refresh"

Just curious- you mentioned sending your 3,000 mile clutch back to Comptech to have it refreshed. 1. Why did it need refreshing after only 3,000 miles? and 2. What is the time frame and cost to have this done? Thanks in advance.

Re: Comptech "Refresh"

TampaBayNSX-R said:
Just curious- you mentioned sending your 3,000 mile clutch back to Comptech to have it refreshed. 1. Why did it need refreshing after only 3,000 miles? and 2. What is the time frame and cost to have this done? Thanks in advance.

When I first put the Comptech Clutch in I heard a strange noise. I called C-Tech and talked it over with them and never could figure out what it was. On one occasion I was doing a Nitrous test run. I did my normal launch, I never hit the Nitrous, and the NSX moved about 3-4 feet. The RPM went to 7000 RPM in 1st gear. Big plume of smoke past the NSX. At that point I thought it was all over for the 1000 mile C-tech clutch. Well, after that, the noise was gone and it hooked like a champ. It was only after the said incident that I brought my NSX to the drag strip. I had about 50 1/4 mile passes on the C-tech clutch plus numerous other test runs. When we took it out it was not looking the best. I FedEXed the clutch kit to C-tech. They were able to turn it in 3 days. Sent it on Monday and got it back on Friday. Shipping was a killer, TN-CA-TN $240.00. Nate at C-tech cut me a deal on the overhaul. I think retail would have been $1200. This was for a new disk, re surface fly wheel, and a new pressure plate surface. Most can get away with a re surface of the pressure plate and that saves a lot of $$. Mine was in bad shape. With the new Clutch I have had 0 problems. No noise, no slippage, good feel. My guess is that there was a defect in the disk material and sliped/wore it out until the defect was gone.

Originally posted by 92 NSX:

Yes, and yes,

Thanks for answering my question 92 NSX. Anyways, I am sure you know who this is. "Hwnpnch"
:D

Since you are so adamant about the .4 improvement in 0-60 can you tell me how that was measured? Mathematically that sounds roughly double what I would expect from a simple 4% change in final drive ratio since it doesn't change what gears are used. It would sound more reasonable as the 1/4 mile improvement.

As for whether or not non-drag racers would appreciate the change, it depends on the track. Overall I would wager it is more likely to help than hurt and have said so in prior discussions, but you can find others here willing to debate that.

AJKS,

I'm curious what your launch technique is. I'm currently having the short gears and 4.235 R&P put in, albeit for a 5 speed, and will be going to the drag strip in early Nov. But I HAVE NO IDEA how to launch this puppy to get a good time.

Do you launch from about 5K?

Ponyboy said:
AJKS,

I'm curious what your launch technique is. I'm currently having the short gears and 4.235 R&P put in, albeit for a 5 speed, and will be going to the drag strip in early Nov. But I HAVE NO IDEA how to launch this puppy to get a good time.

Do you launch from about 5K?

3-4000 rpm, slip the clutch, floor it within 1 second after you start to roll. Bad for the clucth but no tire spin and mid 12's to boot.(ajks posted this earlier)

Would a .4 second difference be possible with similar gearing on a 3.0 liter car?

Thanks guys

ravi

I guess I should have said .4 in the 1/4 mile. The .4 in the 0-60 seems highly unlikely even to me.

ravi

STOCKTONSX said:
I guess I should have said .4 in the 1/4 mile. The .4 in the 0-60 seems highly unlikely even to me.

ravi

Ah, well then, with the 5spd + 4.235 No. With the 4.55 yes, so long as you don't run out of 3rd before the 1/4, which you shouldn't with a relatively stock car. But check the other drag racers on that.

Brian2by2 said:
4.235s are u had it up to 170??? Do you have to recalibrate the speedometer gear on the 02+'s??? If you didn't and need to, then it may be an inaccurate reading.

The speedo runs off a gear on the outside of the diff housing. No matter what final drive gear you run...you get the correct speed. The only thing that will make the speedo inacurate on the NSX is odd sized tire sizes. Keep the diameter of the wheel / tire combo as close to stock as possible and you'll be fine. You can adjust the speedo by removing the guage assy from the dash and turning one of the pots on the back side of the cluster.
Chris at SOS is currently working on a box for the EPS issue. He's confident that it will be ready soon and work just fine. So keep your eyes posted on www.scienceofspeed.com for more info.
The problem with the gears not working is the ring gear. The 4.23 has a straight cut on the inner gear of the ring gear. The carrier will not fit in because it's made for a helical cut inner gear. So, we had to use a 94 or earlier model carrier to make the set up work. Since he was already in there, Mark B. rebuilt the doner diff to NSX-R specs. It's a nice set up. Congrats on the faster times John. Glad I could help.
Barn Man...

Back