Google IPO

I've been watching it since late November last year. For a while it looked like they wouldnt go through with it.
Original date was supposed to be late Jan/early Feb and in a dutch auction style format, but it looks like they're going the traditional route now.

I'm really thinking of going for a piece.

Just checking (since I don't know if either of you is a seasoned investor) but you guys do know that only certain clients get offered stuff like this, right? Typically a brokerage gets a small piece of something like this which they then offer to only their best customers. Sometimes companies try to reward people in their user community by making pieces available to more than just employees - an example being Redhat trying to ensure that long-time Linux supporters got a piece of the action.

beeker16 said:
I'm really thinking of going for a piece.

Yeah - good luck with that. This will be oversubscribed by every fund out there, and the little investor will be last in line. That's why Google is trying to add on a part of the IPO that would allow direct purchases by individual investors, but the investment banks are resisting it.

Unless you happen to have a big-time account at CSFB, MS, Goldman, or Lehman, this one will pass you by at the IPO price. Of course, you could buy in the open market on Day 1 and pay a huge premium - but I wouldn't recommend it.

LeftLane said:
Of course, you could buy in the open market on Day 1 and pay a huge premium - but I wouldn't recommend it. [/B]

That's what I'm debating.
I think that part of me wants it so bad only because I've been so interested in it for the longest time now - since I heard about it in November.

Gut feeling says no, desire says "yes. do whatever it takes." - much how some people want an NSX so bad, they're willing to consider an automatic, or high mileage, snap ring range 91-92, rather than wait for "the one".

I have a significant ammount of change set aside that I want or rather wanted to use on this, but I have second thoughts all the time. This is money I will not touch and have reserved strictly for a) retirement (still a loooooong ways away and this isn't an IRA) b) extreme emergency c) the right opportunity to come along.

This is a dishearting experience much like the NSX that was to be.
The reason I spent 3 months searching for an NSX was because I knew I could afford one based on what my insurance agent said and my income. I guess you can only imagine what my reaction was when after finding "the one" I was told they made a mistake on that quote. Now after being told by Brin and Page along with everyone else who's been clinging on their every word, that Google would go public via an auction, only to see what has happened in the past few days, I get that same feeling of being lied and decieved to again.

Honestly I am not really sure that Google will be able to be a top player in 10 years from now... they are entirely based on *one* product (the search engine).

That is not the best premise for long term growth.

with regards to IPO, the individual investor is always vulnerable to the "winner's curse." On such a hot issue IPO such as Google, institutional investors have pretty much all the stakes to the shares, and usually what actually trickles down to the individual investor is a cold issue IPO that the investment bankers are trying to get rid of. But if you can get your hands on this IPO, congratulations, and get out when its at its peak which tends to be within the first weeks of its initial offering

Just as long as you get the IPO before it hits the market, you will be set...

Last edited:
Guys wait 30 days "after" the IPO, then buy the stock.....after all the hype goes down, usually the price levels off too...Don't be emotional about stocks...you will get screwed every time...just my 2cents...:D

100% right on this one, screw the IPO crap. Use e-trade, throw in a market order and enjoy your loss. :D

LeftLane said:
Yeah - good luck with that. This will be oversubscribed by every fund out there, and the little investor will be last in line. That's why Google is trying to add on a part of the IPO that would allow direct purchases by individual investors, but the investment banks are resisting it.

Unless you happen to have a big-time account at CSFB, MS, Goldman, or Lehman, this one will pass you by at the IPO price. Of course, you could buy in the open market on Day 1 and pay a huge premium - but I wouldn't recommend it.

Back