Getting the X home???

Alright I am looking at 2 NSX's about the same distance apart. They are both from Private Owners. My original plan was to drive the NSX home if/when I buy one, but being that I live in another state, and won't have tags for the car at that point in time, Can I drive it home? or do I need to look into shipping methods. I did a search and had trouble finding anything.

PS Both NSX owner's are Prime members.

Drive it with temporary plates.

You should be able to drive it home... with the bill of sale and paperwork.

NE had people put in transit displayed.

I purchased mine in NV from a private party... BUT he also worked at the Honda Dealership and had intransit paperwork to tape on my passenger side dash.

I was pulled over for no plates on the way home, in UT, but since everything was in order I was let go... after a little hazing from the patrol man... when he saw my bill of sale and what I paid for a 91 Acura, I beleive he felt sorry for me... my preception was he thought I must be some kind of idoit to pay that much for a car that old.

I also flew to Baltimore years ago to purchase a car. I put an in transit sign in the rear window and nobody ever bothered me. I'm not sure how legal that is though.

I'm sure somebody on prime will know the best legal way to do it.

The only other thing to consider is how far you plan to drive and if the timing belt has been replaced... it would really suck if the TB broke on the trip home.

Keep us posted!

Rod

Figure out what is the equivalent in your state to this:
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/dmvnet/trip_permit/intro.asp

I personally would never drive a car I'm not familiar a long distance on the way home. If you break down or have any issues, you're screwed. The cost in fuel, food, and hotel expense is about the same or very close to if you just had the car placed on an enclosed carrier and delivered.

Last edited:
You're still taking your ex-wife out on dates?

LoL took me a second(slow mental day for me today) Nice...

You should be able to drive it home... with the bill of sale and paperwork.

NE had people put in transit displayed.

I purchased mine in NV from a private party... BUT he also worked at the Honda Dealership and had intransit paperwork to tape on my passenger side dash.

I was pulled over for no plates on the way home, in UT, but since everything was in order I was let go... after a little hazing from the patrol man... when he saw my bill of sale and what I paid for a 91 Acura, I beleive he felt sorry for me... my preception was he thought I must be some kind of idoit to pay that much for a car that old.

I also flew to Baltimore years ago to purchase a car. I put an in transit sign in the rear window and nobody ever bothered me. I'm not sure how legal that is though.

I'm sure somebody on prime will know the best legal way to do it.

The only other thing to consider is how far you plan to drive and if the timing belt has been replaced... it would really suck if the TB broke on the trip home.

Keep us posted!

Rod

Could I get a temperary transient sticker from the DMV? Both of them have had the TB/WP done and have proof of it. Wow atleast when I get my NSX I won't be alone in Omaha :wink:

I personally would never drive a car I'm not familiar a long distance on the way home. If you break down or have any issues, you're screwed. The cost in fuel, food, and hotel expense is about the same or very close to if you just had the car placed on an enclosed carrier and delivered.
well the wife would be driving along to take me out there since its like 6 - 7 hours depending on the car I choose(if they are still available)
Thanks

You're still taking your ex-wife out on dates?

Yeah, newer stuff like "friends with benefits" escapes me too. Back in the day, when you got divorced you couldn't stand the other one. Now you get bootie calls.

On topic, since both vehicles are owned by stand-up fellow Primers, have you asked either if they would simply leave tags on the for the trip to return later or destroy? Those plates are should be proper until a title transfer is complete on your end.

Or take another tag with you? I know that running a bad tag creates it's own exposure but I feel it's truly minimal. I've done both of the above several times with no repercussions- driving with due caution.

There's more "wiggle" room with plating than with insurance. Definately do nail down insurance beforehand.

I drove with my son (not the one in the avatar, but one of driving age....) to pick up my NSX - secured the insurance prior to the trip - and took a plate off of another vehicle of mine and put it on the back of the NSX. Figured with the bill of sale and title in hand, that if I got pulled over (especially in VA for no front plate) that I should be ok. Made the 6 hour trip fine. Just keep it around the speed limit (no easy task in this car :wink:) and all should be fine. Good luck. Jay

Last edited:
Yeah, newer stuff like "friends with benefits" escapes me too. Back in the day, when you got divorced you couldn't stand the other one. Now you get bootie calls.
Not that there's anything wrong with that! :biggrin:

I put insurance on the car before I flew out to pick mine up...the seller allowed me to drive ti back with his plates, when I registered it the next week, I took his plates and sent them back to him

I drove with my son (not the one in the avatar, but one of driving age....) to pick up my NSX - secured the insurance prior to the trip - and took a plate off of another vehicle of mine and put it on the back of the NSX. Figured with the bill of sale and title in hand, that if I got pulled over (especially in VA for no front plate) that I should be ok. Made the 6 hour trip fine. Just keep it around the speed limit (no easy task in this car :wink:) and all should be fine. Good luck. Jay

In VA, you can get a "trip permit" that's good for 3 days and costs $5. Order it online and immediately print it up. I did this when I picked up my 2nd NSX from Chicago. Just tape the permit to the inside of the rear glass and you're good to go.

OP: Your state DMV may have a similar program... YMMV.

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/temp_permit.asp

Isn't using a plate from another vehicle illegal?:confused:

In VA, you can get a "trip permit" that's good for 3 days and costs $5. Order it online and immediately print it up. I did this when I picked up my 2nd NSX from Chicago. Just tape the permit to the inside of the rear glass and you're good to go.

Psst.. I already said that.

Drive it home, as long as you have Full Coverage from your insurance, dont get PIP you will have a pile of junk sitting in your driveway if you wrecked it. get insurance, they print you out a temp Insurance card, you have the bill of sale in hand, your good to go. drive it home,,, if your pulled over show the paperwork to the cop tell them the story and he should let you go inless he pulled you over for going 170mph LOL

I drove 630+ miles from the bottom of Florida to the top of Georgia and asked the seller, after handing him 10's of thousands of dollars, if I could use his tag for 2-3 days until I got back home. Of coarse he didn't have to but most people after being handed the kind of cash you are about to hand over are grateful to help in any way. Make sure you have your own insurance before you go to pick it up. That reassures the cops and the seller you are responsible for the car and its actions

Last edited:

+1, I brought a car over from CO and did the same thing. The "Transportation Permit" was good for 2 days and cost a few dollars.

Isn't using a plate from another vehicle illegal?:confused:

+1, just get a transpo' tag.

Well, I just drove my new 1991 NSX home from Reston, VA to Winnipeg, MB. A total drive of 1838.2 miles. Not a single problem.

$208 for hotels for 2 nights.
$182 for gas.
Plus what ever I spent of food and drinks.

It took 2 days of hard driving, but some really nice scenery and the fact that I was driving my NSX made the time fly by.

Here are the mpg results for the trip at each fill:
31.10 mpg
32.10 mpg
32.26 mpg
31.69 mpg
34.63 mpg
29.70 mpg
29.84 mpg
average: 31.62 mpg.

If you have the time, I would say go for it. It is a lot of fun and you get great looks and have great conversations at the gas stations, or where ever you stop.

I sent a certified cheque down to the seller, he cleared the funds and then mailed me the Vehicle Title, with that I was able to get a temporary registration for 1 month. I put the temporary registration on the front window and drove the car home without licence plates, but I was fully insured.

If you do decide to ship there are great options. I went this route for CA to PA.. It's expensive, but there are a few truly great ones. The shippers I would recommend ship million dollar cars, so they can be trusted. The car would almost certainly pick up more damage driving across multiple states from road rash than in a white glove xport... Just another way to look at it...

I am trying to find something online about transit temp tags for NE. I guess if I don't find it I'll ask both owners if they will let me use their tags. Thanks for the help guys Now just need to get back state side :wink:

I shipped mine home last week in an enclosed trailer. The car left at 11am and i left 8am the next morning.

i arrived at 11am and cleaned out the garage, NSX arrived at about 730p.

i was quite happy to not have to drive it back for 20 hrs and put the miles on it.

I shipped mine home last week in an enclosed trailer. The car left at 11am and i left 8am the next morning.

i arrived at 11am and cleaned out the garage, NSX arrived at about 730p.

i was quite happy to not have to drive it back for 20 hrs and put the miles on it.

well its only 6 hours not too bad.

30 Day Temporary Tag. Go to the DMV and tell them what you need. Its much like buying a used car, you'd get a temporary tag until they send you the permanent tag.

Check your local listing for their requirement.

Nukem... I called Douglas County DMV and they said all you need is the Bill of Sale and Proof of Insurance and you should have no issues. NE doesn't have a temporary transport sticker, temporary tag or In-Transit documents. They told me that you shouldn't have any issues with any of the states you would be driving the car through.

I'm not sure if the state you are purchasing the car from has a temporary vehicle transport document. It sounds like you should be fine with the Bill of Sale and proof of insurance.

Like I mentioned earlier I purchased mine in NV, but the person worked at the dealership and had the DMV transportation paperwork for the state of NV. I did have the bill of sale and proof on insurance (full coverage) with me.

When I checked, covered transport was about $1500 or more. That would buy me lots of food, premium gas and lodging. Omaha is centrally located, so I can get here from most places with a one night stay. I enjoyed the ride home. I would definitely pass on an open transport. I've heard too many horror stories. The inside transport should be fine if that is what you decide to do.

We will have to hook up when you get to Omaha. 21acres has a silver one in Blair. hpram99 is in Omaha.

I saw a black NSX driving down west Dodge heading west past 168th st about two weeks back. I was in my DD. I saw him coming up in my rear view mirror.... but it took me awhile to recognize it as an NSX. I thought it sure looked like one... but no, you rarely if ever see them around here, so I hesitated. It turned out to be a black NSX. He had NE plates. Not sure if the car is an Omaha car or not. He kept going west, while I got off on the Elkorn, NE exit. I wish I would have tried to flag him down in hind sight.

I have only seen one other red NSX in the area the past couple of years. I know there are more in the area, but they don't get out much to my knowledge.

Keep us posted

Rod

Just buy it and ask the P.O to leave the plates on it and if they want them back you can mail them to them after you register it. Thats what I did. You only need a bill of sale and proof of insurance and the current registration.

Well, I just drove my new 1991 NSX home from Reston, VA to Winnipeg, MB. A total drive of 1838.2 miles. Not a single problem.

$208 for hotels for 2 nights.
$182 for gas.
Plus what ever I spent of food and drinks.

It took 2 days of hard driving, but some really nice scenery and the fact that I was driving my NSX made the time fly by.

Here are the mpg results for the trip at each fill:
31.10 mpg
32.10 mpg
32.26 mpg
31.69 mpg
34.63 mpg
29.70 mpg
29.84 mpg
average: 31.62 mpg.

If you have the time, I would say go for it. It is a lot of fun and you get great looks and have great conversations at the gas stations, or where ever you stop.

I sent a certified cheque down to the seller, he cleared the funds and then mailed me the Vehicle Title, with that I was able to get a temporary registration for 1 month. I put the temporary registration on the front window and drove the car home without licence plates, but I was fully insured.

I am glad that my baby treated you so well. Also glad that the trip was so much fun. The biggest kick though was after we talked about the compliments the car gets, a passerby told you how the cool the car was BEFORE YOU EVEN PULLED AWAY FROM THE CURB for your drive home. I had to laugh aloud when I heard that.
Wishing you many more joyous miles,
GRYBRD

Back