gearing options for '97+ cars??

I noticed there are more aggressive gearing setups available for the 5spd NSXs, but what about the 97+ cars? I haven't been able to find anything available. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

rmani said:
I noticed there are more aggressive gearing setups available for the 5spd NSXs, but what about the 97+ cars? I haven't been able to find anything available. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
You can install a shorter ring and pinion gear, but that's the only thing available. Only the stock set of gears (first through sixth gear) is available; they are nicely spaced so there is no reason to change them.

Science of Speed has a replacement differential for the 6-speed that includes a 4.44 R&P gear.

thanks for the answer and the link. i am a little confused though as to the difference between a ring and pinion setup and standard gearing upgrades. thanks

rmani said:
i am a little confused though as to the difference between a ring and pinion setup and standard gearing upgrades.
The ring and pinion (R&P) gear, also called the "final drive" or FD, is part of the transmission for all gears. Power is transmitted from the engine through the crankshaft, through one of the 4-6 forward gears (first through fourth for the automatic, through fifth for the five-speed, and through sixth for the six-speed) or one reverse gear, and then through the ring and pinion gear in order the drive the rear axle. Changing to a shorter R&P means that the gearing becomes shorter for every gear, and your shift point (the speed at which you hit redline) is lower in every gear.

Some gearing upgrades (such as the short gears) replace one or more of those 4-6 forward gears, and affect the gearing and shift point of only the gear(s) that are replaced.

ahh thank you for the thorough explanation. is this a popular upgrade for 97+ owners or do most consider it to be not worth the money?

rmani said:
is this a popular upgrade for 97+ owners or do most consider it to be not worth the money?
It's not all that common. Not unheard of, but not all that common. As for the reasons, it's not just the money; many owners don't necessarily want to lower their shift points, regardless of the money.

Back