• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gearbox Oil

Coz

Legendary Member
Changed the oil, filter, plugs, air filter and installed new trunk lift struts today..Easily done, took less than 2 hours....

Now want to change out the gearbox fluid to know it's been done.

What kind of gearbox oil are the rest of you do it your-self-er's using ?
Anything out of the ordinary I need to be aware of ?
Thanks.
Jim

Changed the oil, filter, plugs, air filter and installed new trunk lift struts today..Easily done, took less than 2 hours....

Now want to change out the gearbox fluid to know it's been done.

What kind of gearbox oil are the rest of you do it your-self-er's using ?
Anything out of the ordinary I need to be aware of ?
Thanks.
Jim

So many swear by GM synchomesh friction modified. Do a search on it.

Thanks Guys...

I just did mine the other day. I used the GM sychromesh/friction modified mix. It was really straight forward. I can't tell if there is a difference as my car has been up on jackstands since october and won't be back down for another month or so, but a lot of people here swear by it.

I have 4-5 quarts of the GM Synchromesh in stock but would never put it in my NSX.
Honda MTL is what I use.

I have 4-5 quarts of the GM Synchromesh in stock but would never put it in my NSX.
Honda MTL is what I use.

I'm skeptical as well.... Honda MTL is 'good enough' in most situations but people swear by GM Syncromesh. Is there any long term data on how the trann is affected? Anyone take their tranny apart before and after :) ?

Please use the Honda Oil that you should use.
Unless, you have a problem, then, you have a problem.
Trev

Something I would like to know as well, what makes this better than the OEM gearoil ?

I'm skeptical as well.... Honda MTL is 'good enough' in most situations but people swear by GM Syncromesh. Is there any long term data on how the trann is affected? Anyone take their tranny apart before and after :) ?

That's what I figure too Trev...
Hey Trev, my wife is from Calgary

Please use the Honda Oil that you should use.
Unless, you have a problem, then, you have a problem.
Trev

I'm skeptical as well.... Honda MTL is 'good enough' in most situations but people swear by GM Syncromesh.

I think you'll find these people already have transmission problems and using the GM Sychromesh as a additive/blend helped their symptoms to some degree.

If your transmission is working well I suggest staying with the Honda recommended and designed MTL.

Absolutely, makes no since fixing something that isn't broken, in this case anyway....

If your transmission is working well I suggest staying with the Honda recommended and designed MTL.

Something I would like to know as well, what makes this better than the OEM gearoil ?

I don't think it makes it 'better' I think it's what has previously been posted in that it helps with older transmission/worn synchros etc..

My concern/though is that, in the long run (25, 50K+) does it cause more harm than good? This is what I just don't know, and I haven't been able to get a very good answer. It would suck to find out that although it is a +1 in one particular area ('transmission smoothness") it takes away in the other ("long term reliability") I'm not saying that's what it is, but I don't know if it's not. I imagine GM transmissions are not quite Honda transmissions, correct?

BTW: I recently bought MTL and noticed that what Acura sold me is the "improved formula" The packaging is different than the Honda MTL.
Does anyone know if this is recent and how it's different from the 'previous' version. This is the first time I bought tranny fluid for the NSX, so maybe it's been like this always, though I have quart from buying H MTL for my S2k a couple of years ago..

I think my syncros are getting worn between 2nd and 3rd gear. Sometimes I'd grind at high RPM. I put GM Syncromesh in this fall and all my shifts are silky smooth now. I highly recommend using it.

I don't think it makes it 'better' I think it's what has previously been posted in that it helps with older transmission/worn synchros etc..

BTW: I recently bought MTL and noticed that what Acura sold me is the "improved formula" The packaging is different than the Honda MTL.
Does anyone know if this is recent and how it's different from the 'previous' version. This is the first time I bought tranny fluid for the NSX, so maybe it's been like this always, though I have quart from buying H MTL for my S2k a couple of years ago..

The MTF has been recently improved in the last 3 months. It is better than any other fluid for your NSX trans. IMHO. EIFFEL

Eiffel,

You're right! Indeed there is a new MTL and it's really called MTL III :tongue:

I'm gonna get myself a can.

Thnx for the headsup

Henry.

Attachments

• ultra_mtf-3.jpg
    ultra_mtf-3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 143
I don't "swear by" GM Friction Modified but, as mentioned above, it did help with a grinding problem I was having from 3rd to 4th.

Last edited:
Yes, we can only say that the GM stuff does work to make your nsx shift smoother in most cases as reported from guys on Prime and a few others I have talked with with Hondas or Acuras around town.
We'll it did for me anyways. Long term wear on your trans, who knows.
I have replaced my 91 5 speed trans with 90,000 miles on it with a rebuilt one from SoS.
So now, all I will use is the Honda lube.
Trev

I used Penzoil synchomesh and in colder weather it shifts better. Also I notice it works smoother when when it is hot outside. I use synchomesh on all my manual cars. It works great !!! Reading from VW, Audi and S2000 forums almost every one is using it on there cars and like it. Those cars do not price at 80K but have similar idea when comes to shifting gears. If your garebox is in the serial range you have very little you can do.... That makes me think if Honda is all that good in making there decisions when it comes to picking the mgf to do there parts ...

Oooh.. I'm excited, can't wait to put it in...

Ummm, are we still talking about oil???:biggrin: I'm waiting for Hugh to chime in.

Last edited:
Fwiw, the synchromesh cocktail did the trick for me last year on its first track event. On the second track event, the 2nd to 3rd grind slowly came back. I guess gears are gears... once they're worn, there's nothing you can do.

Henry.

Finally got around to changing the gearbox oil yesterday. I used the new Honda MTL with the white cap.

Man, what a difference. It shifts like it was new. Very impressed with the difference a gear oil change can make with the right stuff.

Eiffel,
You're right! Indeed there is a new MTL and it's really called MTL III :tongue:

I have not used the new Honda MTL III, but I currently have the GM Syncro Mesh Mix (2 qt Syncro Mesh, 1 qt Friction Modifier) and my transmission shifts very nice.

Brad

Back