Gearbox Oil

I have not done the NSX yet, but am surprised no one here used Redline MTL.
On high mi. cars, I have mixed Redline MTL and MT90 50-50.

Not saying its better, just would have thought some here would be using it.

On another note, if Honda had it down, why have they changed it 3 times? (Just being a smart azz)

they keep changing for the same reason the playstation has evolved since the playstation 1- better means to the same end as well as improved technology.

Anyone take their tranny apart before and after :) ?

GT5, give TiDave a call about the last few trans he's pulled apart for an OS Giken swap :biggrin: And the oil he uses NOW.

I am using Dumondtech BL154. It was developed for auto racing trannys and rear ends. It has super high load capacity and very aggressive additive package which prevents break down at track temperatures. It's great stuff, but over kill for everyday use. The new Honda MTL is hard to beat for everyday use!

The only product I have used that I have not been happy with is Redline. It breaks down at track temps pretty quickly. It's a great lube for the 'new fluids every race crowd', but for the rest of us that change the fluids once a season it is not a good choice. Both tranny and engine oil leave oxidation film(looks like black soot) all over the interior cases. This is a sign of synthetic oil breaking down with heat, the end product is acid. Acid will eventually pit even the hardest steels.

I am only using the Dumondtech oil products from now on, break-in oil, engine oil and tranny lube(and all my Kart lubes too). These guys are very slow to get printed info out there, they are local here in Portland for distribution so I deal with them directly.

I will have them present at NSXPO 2008, maybe they will have printed info by then...:rolleyes:

Dave - Is that the right product name? When I did a google I didn't come up with anything.

It's about $25 / quart right :) For gearbox, it might be a good investment, but dang, for an engine everytime you do an oil change, kinda much no :)

Then again when you spend $1500+ for a Accusump+ system.. why not go all the way, no :rolleyes:

Here is a link to the crappy site for the great oil...

http://home.earthlink.net/~dumondetech/index.html

Engine oil is $13 a quart, about the same price as many 'high end' oils. Couple bucks more, but I just spent about $12K for a new motor...what's a couple of buck during each oil change...

Thanks. Do an oil analysis after a couple of track events and let us know how it looks :biggrin:

I'm going to try it for the transmission.. and wait to go through 8 quarts of M1 before trying something else :rolleyes:

Let me know what you want and I can get oil for you. PM me.

Dave

Dave,
See gearbox and motor oil, but they specify 2 & 4 cycle motor and gearbox oil for motorcycles and carts. Don't see anything on automotive.
Jim

Will do, haven't talk to him in awhile and it will be good to hear what he's been up to lately :wink:
Thanks for the tip.

GT5, give TiDave a call about the last few trans he's pulled apart for an OS Giken swap :biggrin: And the oil he uses NOW.

Back