• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fuel Pump Options

My dyno showed my A/F to be pretty lean. I am going to upgrade the pump. I was reading a little about the Walbro and there were a lot of complaints on the noise.

What other options are there out there?

I am surprised that there are any complaints about the walbro. I have a 255 installed in my car and can never hear it. How much hp do you have and how much do you want? The walbro 255 is good for about 600 but that is the limit. The Bosch 044 is the one that I have heard is the noisy one.

What is the lph or litres per hour of this pump. This is important to know because if you are running lean now and this pump is the same as a stock pump then you will run lean with this pump also. I would not hesitate to use the Walbro 255 it is also comparable in pricing.

What is the lph or litres per hour of this pump. This is important to know because if you are running lean now and this pump is the same as a stock pump then you will run lean with this pump also. I would not hesitate to use the Walbro 255 it is also comparable in pricing.

I think it is 300

I just installed the Walbro 255. Its certainly doesn't seem any louder to me, I can hear it at start up priming and thats about it. Of course, I also have a Novi 2000 right behind my head that might be drowning it out.

Dave, I have a walbro and the only time I can hear it is when it is on and the engine is not running. As long as you use the rubber isolator that comes with it, it's not loud.

Dave, I have a walbro and the only time I can hear it is when it is on and the engine is not running. As long as you use the rubber isolator that comes with it, it's not loud.

Are you back yet Gary?

I am surprised that there are any complaints about the walbro. I have a 255 installed in my car and can never hear it. How much hp do you have and how much do you want? The walbro 255 is good for about 600 but that is the limit. The Bosch 044 is the one that I have heard is the noisy one.

I have the 044 in tank on my NSX. I hear the pump prime on start up but don't even notice after the engine is running & i have no sound deadening on the rear panel/firewall.

No problems with the Walbro 255, removed the 044 because of a VERY loud constant hum. 044 in the Noble is also quite loud.

i've got the walbro and never noticed the fuel pump, ever. I'm also around 600+ hp at the motor.. and no mention from UMS tuning or SOS about running out of fuel with my upcoming retune.. i think my stock pump started running out of steam at over 400 rwhp. i think my injectors are 750's fwiw

I've used Walbro's in other vehicles and never noticed higher than normal noise.

I also had an inline supplemental Bosch (don't remember the model) in another vehicle and it was loud, but that was outside of the fuel tank.

The SOS Walbro 255 seems like a good price compared to other vendors, considering you get a new sock as well as electrical adapter. I'll be getting one soon for mine.

Dave

I started going lean up top at 535whp on a previous vehicle with a single Walbro 255. Modified the pump hanger to accept a second Walbro 255 and off we went. If you have one of the new 300lph pumps that have come out since you shouldn't be having this problem at the power level you're producing so there may be something else awry. What does your tuner have to say?

Tom

I started going lean up top at 535whp on a previous vehicle with a single Walbro 255. Modified the pump hanger to accept a second Walbro 255 and off we went. If you have one of the new 300lph pumps that have come out since you shouldn't be having this problem at the power level you're producing so there may be something else awry. What does your tuner have to say?

Tom

I was looking at getting one because I thought my car was running lean in boost. After talking to Shad it sounds like my numbers are normal for a ctsc with the readings taken at tail pipe. I am going to get an aem uego instead.

I was looking at getting one because I thought my car was running lean in boost. After talking to Shad it sounds like my numbers are normal for a ctsc with the readings taken at tail pipe. I am going to get an aem uego instead.

Ahhhh, makes sense now. Unless you don't have a catalytic converter, monitoring at the tailpipe is almost worthless anyhow because A/F is skewed so much by the cat. Good call on the wideband. It's an absolutely critical piece of monitoring hardware for forced induction. $250 can save your motor :)

Tom

Last edited:
Mase suggested i look at aeromotive fuel pumps. Anyone use these? I really only need more fuel above 7k rpm.

Last edited:
Stay tuned for some valuable testing we performed with fuel pumps and the NSX.

-- Chris
subscribing for this ^^^ !

related question... I am considering upgrading to the Walbro 255 for my NSX in prep for some type of engine build/FI in the future. I'm sure my 20yo OEM pump could use the break as well. On a stock engine I shouldn't induce any damage right? I assume the extra flow rate from the 255 will simply dump the unused fuel via the return line right? Any issues with the OEM Fuel Pump Resistor? Will the OE 12V supply line and relay handle the extra current draw?

I haven't studied the OEM fuel system yet so would love some feedback and opinions. Thx

Does anyone have a video of an NSX at idle inside or outside with the Walbro 255 installed?

subscribing for this ^^^ !

related question... I am considering upgrading to the Walbro 255 for my NSX in prep for some type of engine build/FI in the future. I'm sure my 20yo OEM pump could use the break as well. On a stock engine I shouldn't induce any damage right? I assume the extra flow rate from the 255 will simply dump the unused fuel via the return line right? Any issues with the OEM Fuel Pump Resistor? Will the OE 12V supply line and relay handle the extra current draw?

I haven't studied the OEM fuel system yet so would love some feedback and opinions. Thx

*No damage using Walbro os stock engine and fuel system
*You are right, extra fuel will be returned to the tank
*Most people bypass their fuel pump resistor when going for aftermarket pump
*No modifications required, just drop it in =)

Back