Four X's From Acura

Yellow Rose

Suspended
NSX = New Sportscar Experimental

MDX = ?

RSX = ?

TSX = ?

This is not a contest to come up with a name for the three cars.....I am genuinely curious to know if the troika of letters stands for something.

Last edited:
you forgot the "L's"
TL= touring luxury
RL= refined luxury
CL... i assume the "C" is for coupe, but "coupe luxury" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

Is there always a specific meaning to the "X" in Honda/Acura names? Just wondering. For example, does "CRX" stand for anything? Or how about the "SLX"?

Or does Honda just have a fixation with "X" in general. (Like "Model-X".)

I think in the example of the RSX, they just added an "X" to the best sounding trim line from previous Integras. ;) Obviously, you couldn't use "GSX" (Eclipse), and "GSRX" is too long winded. "LSX" sounds like "LSD" and the "L" has connotations of luxury. So that leaves "RSX".

-Randy

hehehe... i went to look up the answer, but the X-files were closed! :p

Perhaps Honda appends the 'X' because it makes it sound concluded and special.
I mean, if the NSX was just the "NS", it would sound stupid (but still look sexy :D)

seXXXX appeal...

Don't know why I just posted that...

Then why did you post it in the first place? :rolleyes:

The other prototype they have is the DN-X for the Dual Note Experimental. I could see that eventually becoming the DNX. It would make a worthy RL successor.

NSX = New Sportscar Experimental
CRX = Civic Renaissance Experimental (I think)
MDX = Multi-Dimensional Cross-Trainer (I think)

Of all the --X vehicles, only these 3 have the --X name in the Japan market. I think the rest (RSX, TSX, SLX and CL, TL, RL) is just lame Acura marketing. Integra, Legend, and even Vigor were cool names.

Ojas said:
I think the rest (RSX, TSX, SLX and CL, TL, RL) is just lame Acura marketing. Integra, Legend, and even Vigor were cool names.

Ditto. they just copying lexus i think.
It's all very confusing... :( bring back the Prelude...

Back