Forum language

bodypainter said:
The only place I've ever seen/heard Jesse James talk is on Monster Garage and he doesn't do much swearing on that show. And yet somehow it's still him and it's a good show.

Swearing doesn't define who you are unless you're a really shallow person.

Also, I somehow doubt Jesse is the same person now that he's famous as he was when he was nobody. I offer up who he recently married as evidence... :)

Jesse does curse quite a bit on Monster garage. Either way it really doesn't matter about the swearing or whatever the offence is to the general public.
The part of the personality I admire about Jesse, Paul Tuttle and others is this; they don't adjust to society, society adjusts to them. IMO that is the way to be.

steveny said:
they don't adjust to society, society adjusts to them. IMO that is the way to be.
Yeah, it's just getting everyone to agree where the line is drawn (there has to be a line, right?) that's tough. I mean, Jesse can be a tattooed swearing biker and that's cool but it wouldn't be so cool if the axe murderers and rapists and Corvette owners wanted the same treatment now would it?

I'd prefer no 'naughty words'. :p It keeps the forums clean and concise. The english language has so many words there's always a non-offensive alternative. Maybe we just need a <B>Thesaurus-Nazi</B> to help people along. :D

If people must use coarse language, (ie. when quoting a comment they received about their car) there's no reason not to censor it out. We all get the idea from the first letter or two. While I understand <B>steveny</B>'s point w/ the lawyer, the last thing we need on prime are more loose canons. ;) Loose language can encourage more flame wars.

But just to balance my argument, I hope we dont get to the point of suspending accounts because of language. This needs to be a gentleman's agreement.

NeoNSX said:
I'd prefer no 'naughty words'. But just to balance my argument, I hope we dont get to the point of suspending accounts because of language. This needs to be a gentleman's agreement.
everyone has different ideas about what they think is naughty, coarse, vulgar or obscene... that's the issue as i see it. fwiw, i'm fine with whatever language a person wants to use here or anywhere else... except around kids and old ladies (though i've known some very, um... salty kids and old ladies)

Back