Flying to NSXPO 2005? Travel Tips

Here are a few tips for those who are flying to Phoenix for the event, based on my personal experience.

Flights. Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX) is the only airport in town served by commercial airlines. Southwest and America West have hubs there, and other airlines fly there from their hubs elsewhere.

You can look up fares for all the airlines except Southwest on most travel sites, such as Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, etc. You have to check Southwest's website for their fares and deals. They offer specials in several ways - through their "click and save e-mails", through various sales on their website, and through their Ding! desktop tool. In my case, I had identified the flights I wanted, and saw that their lowest fare was NOT available for my outbound flight, but WAS available for my return. So I waited, and checked their website every couple of days. Today I found that the lowest fare was available for both flights, so I booked them. For fun, I tried the same reservation again just to see if I took the only seat available at that rate, and indeed I did. So if you can't get the fare you want, you might try gambling that it becomes available by holding off and checking back, rather than booking a higher fare. (Of course, it is a gamble that even the next higher fare might become unavailable.)

Rental Cars. Rental car rates at the major car agencies, available through travel sites such as those mentioned in the previous paragraph, are similar to those throughout most of the country - generally $20-35 per day, depending on car size, company, etc. If you don't need the flexibility of being able to cancel your reservation, I recommend checking Hotwire and Priceline. Both these services have a major downside, which is that you have to pay at the time that you make your reservation, and the reservation cannot be cancelled. You also can't select a specific vendor. The upside is that you can get significantly lower rates. The difference between the two is that Hotwire tells you a specific price, which you can then buy, whereas with Priceline, you set the price, which they can give you or reject.

When I checked Hotwire, I got back rates of $11.95/day for an economy car, and $12.95/day for a compact car, on a seven-day rental, and two dollars more per day on a six-day rental. So... I bid $9 per day for an economy car on a seven-day rental with Priceline, and it was rejected. I then bid $10 per day for a compact car on a seven-day rental, and it was accepted, with Budget Rent-a-Car. (Of course, taxes and fees are added to the rental, and in my case they are almost the same amount as the rental itself!)

Incidentally, I needed the rental car for personal reasons. But it's possible to participate in all of the NSXPO 2005 activities without having a car there at all; there are always plenty of empty passenger seats that other NSX owners will be happy to offer to you. So if you only need to rent a car in order to get from the airport to the hotel when you arrive, and back when you leave, you can probably do without it. You can always catch a cab, or better yet, shoot me a PM or e-mail if you are arriving/leaving at a time when I can give you a ride, and I'll be happy to do so.

How far is the hotel from the airport?

Is the hotel in close proximity to some stores and shops like the Radisson at Corning from expo 2004? Im thinking about renting a car....

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
How far is the hotel from the airport?
15.51 miles, according to Mapquest, and 12 miles, according to the hotel website. The hotel website also says that a cab is 25 bucks and a courtesy bus is 15.

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
Is the hotel in close proximity to some stores and shops like the Radisson at Corning from expo 2004?
The hotel is right across the street from Paradise Valley Mall, the largest shopping center in Arizona.

nsxtasy said:
15.51 miles, according to Mapquest, and 12 miles, according to the hotel website. The hotel website also says that a cab is 25 bucks and a courtesy bus is 15.

The hotel is right across the street from Paradise Valley Mall, the largest shopping center in Arizona.

Ken,

In case no one has aleady said this; "your the man!"

One other piece of advice for those of you who haven't experienced flying into Phoenix.

The ride in can be very, very bumpy. All that hot air coming up off the desert can cause some violent turbulence. It shouldn't be that bad at all in October but you never know. I've had the living you know what scared out of me a couple of times flying into and out of Sky Harbor such that I no longer go in or out in the afternoon.

Just something to be aware of... nothing dangerous but you should all be aware.

Ken thanx for the info! Invaluable for a foreigner like myself :)

NSXBOX said:
Ken thanx for the info! Invaluable for a foreigner like myself :)
No prob.

Incidentally, since you're coming from down under, you may not be familiar with Southwest Airlines. They are well known in the States for having many of the lowest air fares around. They are also unusual in the industry because they are growing and they are consistently making a profit. It's quite possible that it's cheaper for you to book a separate round trip between Phoenix and Los Angeles on Southwest, than to book a flight all the way to Phoenix with a connection in L.A. (If do that, and if you check your luggage, you might have to retrieve it in L.A. and check it again.) As previously mentioned, check Southwest's website for fares and to make reservations.

Southwest does not assign seats. They board their planes in four groups, noted A, B, C, and D, with the group assigned when you check in for your flight. You can check in at the airport, or you can check in in advance through their website, starting 12:01 a.m. local time on the day of your flight.

Our rental cars are left hand drive, of course. That might be difficult to adjust to...

In October the weather is BEAUTIFUL, and there should be little to no turbulence.

I fly in and out of PHX weekly, and there have been no drama.

Two things to be aware of:

1) Get a rental car reservation EARLY if you want one. October is well into the tourist season, and lots of golfers and people escaping bad weather elsewhere are heading to Phoenix for the nice weather and great recreation. If you make a last minute reservation, you'll either pay a lot or may not be able to find a car.

2) There are LOTS of RED LIGHT and speed photo cameras in and around Scottsdale. Drive with CARE. Do NOT speed unnecessarily or run red lights, or you may be looking at a ticket.

It's going to be a GREAT time. See you all there!!! :biggrin:

nsxtasy said:
...Our rental cars are left hand drive, of course. That might be difficult to adjust to...
That shouldn't be too hard, because our rental cars are bloody automatics.

When I lived in the UK, I rented fun cars like the Mazda Miata, which were right hand drive, AND manual (my right hand got tired of holding the steering wheel :eek: ). Those were FUN!!!

I scared a few UK drivers when I had to learn how round-abouts work (a la European Vacation w/ Chevy Chase). That that was part of the fun!!! :biggrin:

Back