First year for turbos in the SL600?

The series that you are talking about is R230, they started using these in 2003, the same years as the S600's and the CL600's.

They are rated at 493hp, but they put out much more than that. I have seen several dynos and they are putting out anywhere from 470rwhp-480rwhp and with a ECU reprogram from Renntech can put out about 550rwhp and run 11.6 in the quarter!

That is a pretty incredible engine!

Carguy! said:
The series that you are talking about is R230, they started using these in 2003, the same years as the S600's and the CL600's.

They are rated at 493hp, but they put out much more than that. I have seen several dynos and they are putting out anywhere from 470rwhp-480rwhp and with a ECU reprogram from Renntech can put out about 550rwhp and run 11.6 in the quarter!

That is a pretty incredible engine!

I can only imagine what they would put down with upgraded turbos to match the higher boost of the non-oem ecu's.

Does MB employ any type of aftercooler for the charge? Not having seen any visible signs of an air-to-air, I would guess there is an air-to-water somewhere in there.

Sig said:
I can only imagine what they would put down with upgraded turbos to match the higher boost of the non-oem ecu's.

Does MB employ any type of aftercooler for the charge? Not having seen any visible signs of an air-to-air, I would guess there is an air-to-water somewhere in there.

You are right they have liquid to air intercoolers on the engine.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier but I am driving my new to me S600 home from Salt Lake City. I am currently in Des Moines, IA and should be home late tonight.

Man is this car awesome! The weird thing is you can't hear the engine even under full throttle! I think I am going to have to put an aftermarket exhaust on the car.

Carguy! said:
\
Sorry I didn't respond earlier but I am driving my new to me S600 home from Salt Lake City. I am currently in Des Moines, IA and should be home late tonight.

Man is this car awesome!

Congratulations on the car! The super sedans from MB are a great compliment to any sports car.

Sig said:
Congratulations on the car! The super sedans from MB are a great compliment to any sports car.

I was just reading an article in Car and Driver on the 911 Turbo Cabrio and was very impressed by its numbers. 0-60 - 3.8sec, 12.2 quarter mile and was surprised to read that it is slower than the SL600!

I went to their website and found the test on the SL600, 0-60 3.6 sec. and 11.9 in the quarter!

Here is the test on the SL600:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=16&article_id=7782&page_number=1

These cars have much more than the rated 493hp, I am guessing they must have over 550hp to move that heavy of a car that fast.

Carguy! said:
These cars have much more than the rated 493hp, I am guessing they must have over 550hp to move that heavy of a car that fast.
According to the hp/weight/acceleration calculator on this website, the SL600 would have to be producing 673hp. Accurate? Can't be empirical, but it's a guide I guess. SL600 is one fine creation. ;)

This was like the first MB that I would take over an AMG model! The SL55 does not compare to this thing!

KGP said:
According to the hp/weight/acceleration calculator on this website, the SL600 would have to be producing 673hp. Accurate? Can't be empirical, but it's a guide I guess. SL600 is one fine creation. ;)

I don't think it is that high, but to put into perspective how fast this car is:

It is faster than any Corvette ever tested
It is faster than any Ferrari other than the F40, F50 and Enzo
It is faster than any Viper I have ever seen tested
It is faster than any Porsche 911 Turbo I have ever seen tested, similiar performance to the 959.
It is faster than any Lamborgini I have ever seen tested
Etc...

I just got back from a drive in my S600 and it is faster than my NSX with the high boost comptech SC (Still isn't running perfect though). I surprised a C5 corvette today, I pulled up along side him in a lane that ended in about 400 feet, he spun too much off the line and I was about six car lengths ahead of him in 300 feet. I made sure I turned on the massage option on my seat at the same time too! :p

NetViper said:
This was like the first MB that I would take over an AMG model! The SL55 does not compare to this thing!

I bought an S55 first because I loved the looks, but now I purchased the S600 with the sport package that looks just like the S55 but with the V12.

MB definitley underrated their V12 so it wouldn't embarass AMG, it seemed like quite a coincidence that they both produced exactly 493hp.

The only think MB didn't do right on the S600 is the brakes, AMG upgraded the brakes on their cars, but MB didn't on the 600's. I am looking at upgrading them with a set from Renntech.

Back