• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First post --- Going to look at 91 NSX soon!!!

First, I'd like to thank the people who made this awesome forum! I've been reading this board for 6 years and there's a lot of great information. I am 25, single, and recently sold my C230 MB sport sedan b/c I take metro to work everyday and for some strange reason I REALLY want the NSX.

I've been a fan of the NSX since I was 14 years old when my dad brought home a NSX brochure from a local Acura dealer after they just leased a 94 Legend. From that day, I have been a fanatic about the car, and get chills when I see one on the road.

I recently found one in my area from a dealer. Here's the specs ---- The dealer is asking around 28K for it, but is negoitable...He said it's completely stock, perfect exterior and interior condition. The owner poured 10K in routine maintance in the car within the last year. It has a new timing belt/water pump, and all recalls etc are up to date.

Mileage 81,702
Engine 3.0L V6
Body Style Coupe
Transmission MANUAL 5SPD
Wheelbase 100"
Stock # 12299
Exterior Color Jet Black
VIN JH4NA1150MT002627

What do you guys think about the 1991 NSX??? Do you think this has too many miles for the price? Please provide whatever input you have, I would greatly appreciate it!

Sounds fair to me.

I would follow up on the snap ring. Remember 1991 and 1992 had some expensive failures. The car has quite a few miles on it so even if the transmission number falls w/in range, it may have been one milled at the beginning of the drill bit swap. This would be good news.

Ask for the service records to see if the transmission was replaced. I almost bought a 1991 w/42K for $32,000, then found out about the snap ring issues for 1991 and 1992 and realized if the transmission failed, I would not want to drop up to $7,000 replacing the tranny (yes, I do know you can have it repaired for about $4,500).

Great luck to you,

JM

Last edited:
Yes, I'm going to look at the car tomarrow and will ask about the snap ring issue

Just the thought gives me goose bumps

NSXdream12 said:
Yes, I'm going to look at the car tomarrow and will ask about the snap ring issue

Just the thought gives me goose bumps

Don't ask the seller about the snap ring. Get down and read the trans # and look it up. Most sellers (esp dealers) have no idea what a snap ring is so since they don't wanna appear stupid, they'll tell you its not a problem. If you can I'd get somone from on here or who has a NSX to go look at it with you and get a PPI.

Aero, where would I find the transmission number? The car is located in Mannassas VA, I wish I knew an NSX owner to come with me

Here you go,

"Based on my '91 manual-transmission car, here's what you do: Uncover the engine and standing by the left rear fender bend over and put your nose right by the left rear corner of the air cleaner housing. Looking down and toward the center of the car (i.e. at approximately a 30 degree angle from horizontal), about one inch beyond a point directly below the fuel injection throttle body you should see a white bar-coded label. That's the transmission number label"

Source: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/engine_transmission_vin.htm

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car if it turns out the tranny is in the snap ring range. But I would try to negotiate a discount in price of $1000-1500 to compensate.

johnny010 said:
Ask for the service records to see if the transmission was replaced.
If the transmission was replaced, it will have a new transmission ID, showing that it's not in the snap ring range. So inspecting the tranny ID is sufficient.

johnny010 said:
realized if the transmission failed, I would not want to drop up to $7,000 replacing the tranny (yes, I do know you can have it repaired for about $4,500).
Those numbers are way off. If the snap ring fails, and you recognize the symptoms (see the FAQ) and don't keep driving it that way, you can have it repaired (replacing the snap ring and upper transmission case) for around $2,000 or so. If it doesn't fail, and you wait until you need other transmission work (e.g. clutch replacement) anyway, you won't have to pay the entire labor to open up the transmission, and the extra cost for the preventive snap ring fix is only about $1,000.

Well, I checked out the car just a few hours ago, and it was a big let down. Contrary to what was said over the phone, the car had so many exterior problems (mis-aligned fenders, acid rain, touch up paint everywhere). I took my dad who owns a body shop in Kensington MD, and he pointed out all the body work the car had gone through...The inside was clean, but there was noticible dash bubbles. We didn't even test drive it, because the sales guy didn't want us to, which we thought was ridicoulas.

Needless to say, I was still enthralled by the car, but couldn't ignore the overall condition. So if anyone is looking at that vehicle located in Manassass VA, be very wary and please take someone knowledgable with you. I was not impressed with the sales guy who knew nothing about the car

Anyway, I guess my search will continue, shouldn't have gotten my hopes up

Keep looking man! I've been looking for over a year and have yet to find that "perfect" car.

There are a lot in the FS section of this webiste for around that price. Check there and pick up your dream car.

Back