First (hand) NSX experience!

Hi all,

After reading so much about the elusive NSX on this very site and also on various sites on the net, I have finally not only seen an NSX, not only touched one but got to DRIVE one! Unfortunately, it was not a long drive, but it was the most exhilirating experience in my motoring history.

Attached are some pics of the car, which looks to be completely stock except for the install of a new head-unit. The car in question is a red NSX, with auto tranny. Unfortunately, I don't know what the year of the car is but I have a serial number (if that can be used to determine the year). It was abolutely caked in dust and the interior was quite dusty too. Even so, the vehicle I believe was bought brand new and has 23K on the odometer (but I forgot to take a photo of it)! Hope ya enjoy the pics!

Danny

Attachments

• DSC00693.jpg
    DSC00693.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_3790.jpg
    IMG_3790.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_3797.jpg
    IMG_3797.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_3802.jpg
    IMG_3802.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_3804.jpg
    IMG_3804.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 594
Glad you had fun!
I've seen dustier though!!!
And whats with the steering wheel on the wrong side.
Did you have you camera set to mirror setting?
Dr T.

RHD:smile:
ffffanman said:
Glad you had fun!
I've seen dustier though!!!
And whats with the steering wheel on the wrong side.
Did you have you camera set to mirror setting?
Dr T.

The exhaust tips are not stock. The door step does not have the leather trim.

The car has been sitting in its spot in the garage for quite a while I guess. The reason it left the garage was for it to get it serviced. The mechanic has said he'll need to wash it. No doubt! As for the rust, really got no answer for ya... guess it's been neglected... :(

As for what year it is, can the centre console give any idea what the year may be? I remember threads about NSX phones and it was mentioned that some years do and some don't have it. I'll upload a pic of the console and maybe a couple of others once I get home tonight. Else I'll take a look at the belt tomorrow.

With any luck, the work may be done by tomorrow and I may be able to take it for a spin again! Just wish I could drive it onto a boat destined back to Australia. :)

d00r14n said:
As for what year it is, can the centre console give any idea what the year may be?

Just wish I could drive it onto a boat destined back to Australia. :)

from the center console it should be between 91-93 becauce start from 94 the center console it split into 2 on top section and there is another bottom section when you lift the arm rest . . .means you got 3 compartment instead of only 1 . . .

is the car in Australia ?

NSXsan said:
from the center console it should be between 91-93 becauce start from 94 the center console it split into 2 on top section and there is another bottom section when you lift the arm rest . . .means you got 3 compartment instead of only 1 . . .

Also no Passenger airbag so that cuts out 93, so its 91 or 92.

NSXsan: I've attached more pics, one of the centre console. Although I didn't take a picture of it, the armrest opens facing the driver and it looked pretty deep. Don't think there was another section under it (unless I've misunderstood what you were describing). As for the car, despite what the keychain says, it's not in Australia. Else I would be bugging the owner to keep the car and sell it to me at a later stage. :biggrin:

I have only ever seen two NSXs on the road in Sydney - a yellow one around Hunters Hill and another red one (both pre-facelift models) driving down my street a few mornings last year.

Anosa: Cool! I don't suppose there's a way to determine between 91/92? :smile:

Hopefully I can get another drive of it before I fly back to Oz this Friday. Funny thing I didn't notice about the car until late today - the car is not registered! :eek: All glass panels are absent of any rego stickers. If this car hits anything, it's gonna be hell! :tongue:

Is there a big difference between the pre-95 and 95+ NSXs regarding power steering? It was definitely heavier to turn than normal, but was still very comfortable to drive...

Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_3823.jpg
    IMG_3823.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_3824.jpg
    IMG_3824.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3831.jpg
    IMG_3831.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_3837.jpg
    IMG_3837.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_3847.jpg
    IMG_3847.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 162
if it's an automatic car, it got the power steering already.
The lack of the powersteering is not hard to deal with, but it's definately very east to tell. IMO, I like the intimate feeling with the road, part of the nsx charm...

If you don't have to have a nsx now, I would wait and opt. for a manual one. (It's a cliche, isn't it?) The auto car took a lot of fun away from the manual nsx.

I'm skeptical on the engine compartment part..... I don't care how long it sit, the dust won't be able to accumulate if the hatch is closed with the engine cover intact. (It's air tight, unlike most car hoods that air will get in and out through the hood gaps, grill etc.)

Haha. Thanks for the power steering info. I guess I subscribe to the school that cars like this should be manual but I can't drive stick (only tried it once!). Guess the time spent earning the dough shall be spent building up driving skills/experience and hopefully to learn stick too.

As for the engine bay, I really don't know what happened - I guess it must be the weather which is really hot and humid or maybe the owner just dumped water in the bay to 'clean' it while the NSX sits in its undercover open-air garage???

NSXsan said:

1993 was the first year of the split center console.

brahtw8 said:
1993 was the first year of the split center console.

I was about to say that too, as far as changes between 91-92 the only that i know of is that 92 got Grand Prix White as a choice for paint color. other then that the two years are the same?

Thats a Malaysian registration number for the year if not mistaken ranging from 1994-1996. Its common for used or recondition cars to have a newer reg numbers in Malaysia. Mine is a 1992 shipped in 1999 with a reg number for that later year.

I agree with the engine comments concerning sitting and collecting dust. That dust got in there from driving on many dry dirt roads and little attention to car care in my estimation. I would have bet a stolen recovery if I didn't see the key. Pretty darn low miles. I'm guessing there are many dirt roads in Aussie.

Yup it's in bad shape, but I guess it seems like it's still mechanically sound. The car ain't in Oz, but would sell for AUD$65K+? Wish I knew more history about this car. I'll be going back to the workshop tomorrow, and probably grab more pix. :) Oh, forgot to mention how low it is! The other car I have sat most often in is a Toyota Hilux with rather large wheels and upgraded suspension. It's totally polar opposites! Anyone have any problems going over speed humps with stock ride height? Thanks again.

Hi all, just thought I might close off this thread with a final post/update. Many days have passed and although I mentioned I'd see the NSX again to take photos, it was not the case. I didn't get a chance to see it until I left back for Australia. To top off the trip though, the plane was really full and I got upgraded to Business Class. :) Thanks for your input in the thread. Bye. Danny.

Okay....I am confused. Is this a private owner car, or a dealership? There has to be more to this or a way to find out why it has been sitting like this for so long. :confused:

Meeyatch1 said:
Okay....I am confused. Is this a private owner car, or a dealership? There has to be more to this or a way to find out why it has been sitting like this for so long. :confused:

Hehe. It is a privately owned car, and NOT for sale (don't worry about the prices mentioned). As for the condition, I'll try and ask the owner if I get the chance to next time I'm back there. Zahn, I have no idea about that stuff, so I'll just nod. :biggrin:

zahntech said:
That must be a very rare car (Auto/Asian sold) as most cars were US sold and Manual......

Not really... The car is a private import from Japan into Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur registration). Rare car for Malaysia though!

This car brings the number of NSX's in Malaysia (that I know about) to 3!

I don't know why, but just about all the cars I see for export in Japan have their engine bays dirty/dusty like that... :confused:

Back