First big project - 04 TL Nav, HFL, DVD-A

I didn't want to post anything on this until I was sure this was possible and that I secured all the hardware, etc.

I am installing from the 2004 TL... (into the NSX)

- Voice Recognition DVD Navigation
- 8" touch screen
- 6 disc in-dash changer with DVD-A
- Handsfree link with Bluetooth
- XM Radio unit

I figure it was time to update the NSX's interior by 14 years!

I'll post pics when I'm further along... The 8" screen will go in the JDM Nav pod, the radio JUST fits (slightly larger) in the OEM spot. I'm installing the Nav unit (single din) in the glove box.

I'll have to do some fabrication on the center console as the Nav control units will go just under the 6 disc in-dash unit.

I was considering integrating the Climate control and using the one from the TL but it's too much of a hassle... would have been nice to have Voice Recognition climate control!

The only item I'm considering having a shop do is the center console fabrication. I could do it but since it's a very cosmetic thing... I might let the experts take that one as I won't be satisfied with anything less than perfection!

Garrick

Last edited:
WOW! What an exciting project - definitely looking forward to seeing the results. Keep us updated on the progress.
I'm curious - did you buy all the components new from a dealer, or manage to find some unfortunate wrecked '04 already? What was your investment in the hardware alone if it's not too impertinent to ask & you don't mind sharing?

Hi D'Ecosse,

I figured you'd be interested in this judging from your involvement in In-Car-Electronics! I got the main parts (Nav DVD unit, Screen and Stereo) from a wrecker who ended up crushing the car before I figured out I wanted more parts! The rest of the parts are from Acura Parts i.e. switches, HFL control unit, etc.

The important thing were all the connectors and wires. I asked the wrecker to give me at least 6-8" of wire slack when cutting all the connectors. That alone saved me from spending $450 for the wire harness from Acura or lots of searching for each connector as they were all different.

I paid under $1,000 for the initial hardware. The total with all parts, etc ended up being about $1,600. I also bought a second unit so my total investment now is over $3,000. The rest will be paid in blood and sweat! =)

I had a 99 TL non-Nav and installed the OEM Nav. It wasn't too difficult, just time consuming. I must admit, this one is much more difficult esp since it's not a simple OEM install like the TL was.

Last edited:
Ok, this is an awesome project. I just test drove the new TL and the stereo really does sound great. I can't say I've driven that many stock cars to compare it against, but for the one's I have, this is the best I've heard. (Tho no-where near as nice as D'Ecosse's beast of a system).

Anyway, good luck with this project lithiumus. I'm anxiously awaiting pics!

~eric

Thanks Eric.

I've got the Nav and stereo working (minus HFL and XM). Still waiting for my JDM Nav pod but I wanted to ensure that things were working in general and the Nav functional as well as the stereo. Unfortunately as soon as I connected the stereo, it fried my sub/rear speaker amp... Still have the doors working.

I'll post some progress pics this weekend.

yeah... I know. One project at a time. I don't think I can do without music for prolonged periods of time. I've already been working on this for over a month now.

The aftermarket system will come in to play afterwards. With my old car (99 Accord Coupe) I went big with my audio. In this car, I weigh each item I install and remove to be conscious of not adding any overall weight to the vehicle. My aftermarket system will definitely be much more conservative than any system I've owned.

I saw your raw install last night at the monthly meeting.
AWESOME!!!
What a project! It even looked cool with the center console apart. I can't wait to see it finished. Post pics when you are finished.

I saw your car also last night. It looks good so far.

Cant wait to see it finished.

Bit of an update on the project...

The Nav works with the exception of the Voice Guidance output and Mic input. The XM radio is mounted but I need to extend the wire harness (what a pain!).

There is a loose wire somewhere for the mic input which is a real pain since I soldered all the wires, so either the solder broke or there is a problem with one of the connectors... Voice guidance is probably just wired in reverse, etc...

I had to cut the dash (!!) to get the nav pod to fit. Then again, I expected that I would have do this so I Dremeled the hell out of it. More pics when it's ready.

This is the install when I was testing the Nav setup before the Nav pod arrived...
navtest.jpg

This is the Touch Screen mounted inside the Nav pod during a test fitting and when I realized I needed to cut the dash. The fit doesn't look too bad but the wire harness was right up against the dash, without the wires! I mounted the screen with lots of 2 way foam tape so I can always "uninstall" it if I need to replace it, etc.
navpod.jpg

I took some more pics this weekend I'll post them later this week.

This is a really fabulous project - brings the NSX dash right up to date.
I can't wait for next installment.
What are you going to do about the A/C control? :confused:

D'Ecosse said:
This is a really fabulous project - brings the NSX dash right up to date.
I can't wait for next installment.

I agree. This looks incredible. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Thanks for the kudos guys! Wait till you see the pics from this weekend!

I was originally going to integrate the 04 TL climate control but the TL buttons were vertical. Then I thought of keeping the NSX climate control but use the buttons to activate the HVAC, but then there would be redundant buttons since some are controlled via the Touch screen. Then it would have been a nightmare since I'd need to map out the exact signals the NSX climate control sends to the HVAC and compare / mod the TL climate control signals... that project would be more difficult than the Nav project! So I'm going to just keep the OEM NSX climate controls.

Since the TL radio lights illuminate a light green / white color and are essentially soldered on to the front piece, I decided to change all my dash lights from Orange / Red to the Light Green / White color to match. The climate control was a doozy! The only interior lights left are the Headlight switch, Mirror pad and the actual instrument cluster. Everything else is converted.

To add to the list of interior mods, I'm also adding an Auto-dimming mirror with Temp / Comp displays and Homelink control. The NSX is so low that you really need an Auto-dimming mirror. Homelink is also a nice touch...

I was wondering where the OEM A/C was going to go - will it be in the stock location or will you have to relocate it?
Maybe I just need to wait for the pictures!

Wait for the pictures my friend! The first picture was the bare screen that just sat on top of the radio without the climate control. It will look more like the second picture where the screen is mounted in the pod, climate control in stock location and radio underneath.

Great project. Pics don't work for me though.

There is a loose wire somewhere for the mic input which is a real pain since I soldered all the wires, so either the solder broke or there is a problem with one of the connectors... Voice guidance is probably just wired in reverse, etc...

Have you tried talking backwards?

Interesting display on the screen you have pictured.
When I turn mine on it says the same thing but has a black background. How did you get yours to have the Honda 'H' there?

92NSX said:
Interesting display on the screen you have pictured.
When I turn mine on it says the same thing but has a black background. How did you get yours to have the Honda 'H' there?

Hehe... more to come on that one... I left the camera on a slow shutter so the splash logo was already disappearing and the disclaimer was coming on. Otherwise it would have been a straight Honda Navigation logo.

I'll post more pics soon! :wink:

Garrick!!

I didnt know you were in Irvine?? Where the hell are you?? we should hang out and I can help you fall behind in your project by distracting you!!! Excellent post!! I cant wait to see it at the next monthly meeting!
Kevin

Instead of distracting him, why don't you go help him finish his project, take some pics and post them on here so we can see it? This is a killer project and we want to see more of it. Help him and us out will ya? :biggrin:

NemesisX said:
Garrick!!

I didnt know you were in Irvine?? Where the hell are you?? we should hang out and I can help you fall behind in your project by distracting you!!! Excellent post!! I cant wait to see it at the next monthly meeting!
Kevin

The Nav Pod is hard to fill with a good looking screen. I know, because I'm in the middle of the same project. But I got away without modifying the dash. I wonder why you chose to use OEM TL setup as oposed to aftermarket. Your way seems more dificult.

That is one incredible system, and good for you for haveing the balls to attempt it. Very nice. I am searching junk yards now........ :cool:

Back