• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally went to the dark side, picked up a 6-speed R8 v10 in my favorite color!

The R8 has been on my "list" for the past 5 years. I find it much better looking than the Lambo. I've already fully "rationalized" the car, AWD would allow 12 months a year usage, get the convertible, 6 speed, etc. The only problem is that I have 2 "toys", and for now, I need a "grown-up" DD (4 doors and a back seat), and it doesn't qualify. Hopefully, I'll have one in the not too distant future. Enjoy, post pictures, and give us a detailed write-up.

The R8 has been on my "list" for the past 5 years. I find it much better looking than the Lambo. I've already fully "rationalized" the car, AWD would allow 12 months a year usage, get the convertible, 6 speed, etc. The only problem is that I have 2 "toys", and for now, I need a "grown-up" DD (4 doors and a back seat), and it doesn't qualify. Hopefully, I'll have one in the not too distant future. Enjoy, post pictures, and give us a detailed write-up.

You have some nice rides too! With play toys it's always hard to justify but in the end it's what makes you happy. The NSX is a nice toy already and you have my favorite color. Good thing about the R8 is there are plenty of examples so no rush. I waited quite some time when this deal popped up and decided to pull the trigger. It's hard for me to justify as well given I have two toddlers but I figured now is a good time as any before they get to college age when it will really cost me $$$ :)

.....For now just going to enjoy the car - it's a lot more practical than my NSX with it's ridiculously low stance so I find more excuses to drive the R8. Funny thing is last night I had to run some errands and pickup some diapers, decided to take the R8 out and what a treat. The LED headlights on this car is a must have option! I read somewhere that LED headlights are not that bright, dunno what they are smoking but it's incredible pure white light. I almost had to wear my sunglasses j/k!

Around town you only need maybe 1/3 the hp but when you get on the freeway sweeper, watch out this thing really moves! The v10 in this car feels like I get better gas mileage than my old e90 m3. I think it's because I just hated the DCT tranny in that car robbing all the power + added weight.

Oh the reason I said this car is the dark side is because it seems many NSX owners are tempted to convert to an R8. All I can say is don't drive one because if you do, you will want it even more which is what happened to me. I don't think it can replace the NSX but it sure does a good job with temptation.

P.S. Don't get the V8, I drove the V8 many times and it's a dog compared to the V10. Once I drove my buddies V10 with Fabspeed exhaust I knew this is my next ride.

Curious, how is the R8 more practical than the NSX?

My friend that sold me the NSX got a 2013 R8 V10 'vert with just about everything that is an option (whatever that is). He said it's like the NSX, but with more power.

DCT is suppose to have little drivetrain loss. I've heard around 12%.

Yea, the R8 V8 is a dog. It's like a NSX in terms of power to weight ratios.

Let's be honest neither the R8 or NSX is practical but if I had to pick one to get the job done year round and be able to do what I need to do including picking up my kid at school, the R8 wins hands down.

It's much more comfortable, modern day electronics, decent sized trunk and interior cabin space is larger. Add in the Quattro and power, it's really a no brainer. Looking at both cars parked side-by-side in the garage, you can start to pick out subtle hints of how the NSX is getting dated. Yes the body lines on the NSX is more sexy, however it just looks so much more narrow in width.

Just put my Recaro baby seat in the R8 whereas it would never work in the NSX, that alone is a big +1 for me :)

No engine mods, the R8 will remain stock for now, already have enough headaches with modded cars as it stands, don't want another one at this point.

Only have plans for a V1 hardwire, tint and custom CF steering wheel/shift knob at this point.

Notice the color difference:

Last edited:
3 of my favorite cars, and colors. Very Jelly.... Congrats.

I have not seen or heard how the R8 is holding up in terms of reliability. I know it's called the daily driver super car by a lot of publications but I've also heard how you should never by an Audi with out a warranty (or out of warranty). I know the OP mentioned earlier that the aftermarket goodies are very expensive but how much is maintenance? Just curious.

Sweet ride, and I very much agree that a manual is still the only way to squeeze the most man / machine synergy out of a proper sports car.

Brian

Love the car:wink: Welcome to the not so exclusive NSX-R8 owners club. Going to the R8 forum, it is surprising to see how many R8 owners also own or use to own an NSX. Even our own Chris Wilson at SOS has an R8! Maintenance costs are like every German car, ie Porsche and BMW. In regards to fit and finish, having owned multiple BMWs and Audis, they are equal. Interesting bit about the R8, removed the front bumper to change out the grill and when I put it back in place, it simply snapped in place, no adjustment. Gaps were all equal and flush. Explains how they can be hand assembled with such good fit and finish. No spacers! Aftermarket parts pricing brings out a whole new realm to cost but its like buying Procar carbon parts for the NSX, you get what you pay for. Before going with the Akrapovic, check out the Larini. Less cost, only 5K but sounds great, received favorable reviews from Wei Shen and Mark B who owns 2 R8s as well as his NSX.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know about inability to use the NSX, I was in White Plains 3 weeks ago visiting my father at Westchester Hospital and I happened to see a certain yellow NSX. I was the red Hyundai flashing lights at you.

small world.

Don't know about inability to use the NSX, I was in White Plains 3 weeks ago visiting my father at Westchester Hospital and I happened to see a certain yellow NSX. I was the red Hyundai flashing lights at you.
Wasn't me, just took the NSX down off the lift yesterday, for the first time since October. Plan on using it all weekend!!!

small world.

Internet makes everyone neighbors :)

Planning to take the car out this weekend with the wifey for a nice drive if time permits. I have to spend some time to read the manual, too many gadgets on this car and buttons that I have no clue what it does. Finally programmed our gate and garage opener with the homelink and got my Bluetooth phone sync'd. Now I need to figure out all these buttons for ESP and the suspension plus how to open the rear engine hatch! haha

Nsx trunk will always win for me since i can put the golf clubs in it. ;)

Nsx trunk will always win for me since i can put the golf clubs in it. ;)

That is why i think it's more practical than the R8.

ONLY way the R8 would win is driving in the snow. Doesn't really matter to me since I don't live in snow country.

NSX does well in the rain.

That is why i think it's more practical than the R8.

ONLY way the R8 would win is driving in the snow. Doesn't really matter to me since I don't live in snow country.

NSX does well in the rain.

didn't you or someone you posted about hydro-plain off the highway and end up on the embankment :wink:

a few years ago someone from a cali drive had a dash cam and duirng a highway deluge the nsx in front left the road barely missing the underpass support.I thought you were on that drive....I can't seem to find that thread.

Put about 200 miles on the R8 over the weekend ~ amazing ride! It's such a streetable car you sometimes forget you are driving a mid-engine machine with a v10 in the back! Notice how I did not say the word "exotic". I know this word is always a debate as to what constitutes an "exotic". I don't believe the R8 falls into that category because it just drives so well. Unlike Ferrari's or Lambo's this car just does what it's supposed to do. My daughter fell asleep on the way back from the mall and she was as comfy as ever dozing away with the A/C on. Car can be classified more as a touring machine as it can just gobble up miles really fast and do it so effortlessly.

There were a few driveways I was afraid to enter and went very slowly since I'm well used to driving lowered cars. My NSX always seems to scrape the rear diffuser but in this R8, NOTHING. It looks low, but not so slammed that every driveway entry or departure becomes a nightmare. I love the car so far and plan to do some more twisties when I have time.

here's a picture after the weekend drive as I put her away:

Back