Finally finished my garage!

Mike, the garage looks awesome. Inspires me to get off my butt and do mine.

A warning to anyone that might be considering tile... My neighbor covered his garage floor with glue-down vinyl tiles in a checkerboard pattern. Big mistake. He found out very quickly that it was super slippery when it got wet. With a pregnant wife in the house, he had to rip it all up.

Does anyone know if the Racedeck diamond tiles are slippery?

Thanks to the Prime Community for being so helpful. I've tracked several NSXs before, including an event at Roebling Road last weekend where we busted a radiator hose and wound up spinning entering Turn 4, but I'm actually an S2000 owner and spend most of my time on the S2Ki.com boards. NSX Prime is, in some respects, much more helpful, particularly when it comes to this sort of thing. Thank you.

I'm coming to the conclusion that tiles are (i) less expensive than having epoxy professional done but (ii) cheaper if you're willing to live with the risk that the do-it-yourself fails after a year or two as a result of moisture or other installation-related problems.

Now, the questions are (i) whether the RaceDeck-clones (like those from CostCo) are truly comparable (might save some bucks by it) and (ii) whether to mix-and-match styles -- for example, installing the free-flow tiles near the door to the back yard (where we always drag in dirt) and, perhaps, under the car (where the tires bring in debris) and the diamond-style in the shop area and walking areas.

Then, of course, there's the question of whether I can stomach dropping $1500 for a floor for purely aesthetic reasons. It's not as if my current concrete floor doesn't serve me just fine as, well, a floor.... :rolleyes:

Any advice/suggestions? Thanks!
Christopher

mmmikemo said:
Sorry, my typo...it is MotorMat...I made the edit above...

www.motormat.com

They are located in Salt Lake City...I have no affiliation with them, but very easy process...

Mike

I just spoke with them. My concern was that I needed almost 600 sq feet for my garage, and that it was about 430 lbs of tiles. The website price for a box of 20 is $51. His quote was $52 a box, and they would pick up shipping.

I think I see a project in the works! :biggrin:

i just purchased some tiles from a company in santa barbara. the owner is an industrial designer who has worked with other flooring tile manufactures, and had decided to make, what he claims to be a superior tile. it all sounds good and looks good. i'll post pics and impressions when i get them and install them.

to the post regarding slippery floors, a large part of what makes a flat surfaced tile slippery when wet is that it creates hydroplaning. the water has no where to flow. with textured tiles such as race deck or similar, the raised surfaces create grooves to channel the water, therefore leaving the raised areas relatively free of water, thus eliminating hydroplaning.

similar to how tires work.

Pixel, would you be willing to share contact information and what you paid for the tiles? I'm in the immediate process of making a decision about flooring for my garage, so it would be useful for me. Thanks.

Christopher

mmmikemo-

Longer term now, are you still happy with the Motormat flooring? Any regrets now or anything you would have done differently. Thanks for any advice before I order my new floor and install.

FeetFxr said:
mmmikemo-

Longer term now, are you still happy with the Motormat flooring? Any regrets now or anything you would have done differently. Thanks for any advice before I order my new floor and install.

FeetFxr,

I did this update April of last year.
The thread is here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50322
The only thing I found was that my jack stands left a couple of imprints, and now I set each of the jack stands on a piece of 2"x6". Otherwise, I still get many compliments, as well as complaints from the neighbors as to having a "too neat" garage.

They continue to hold up VERY well, and I only have to sweep them off, and every now and then, mop them...yeah, it's strange to see someone mopping the garage, but the neighbors are used to it...:biggrin:

CDX_NSX said:
Nice! I need to get my garage done too. I was considering paint for the floors which will be much less expensive then Racedeck, but I'm thinking the Racedeck will be more durable. I like the Laminate, but might go with the Diamond Tile as it has more color choices.
Two Part Epoxy!!!

Viper Driver said:
Wow....they are still going to cost me about $850.00 for my garage. I could mask off my garage and do two-toned epoxy for a little over $100!.

Sorry, but I still think that this much money for plastic tiles is WAY too much $$.
I epoxied the car pads (due to slick when wet) and faux "stained" a brick pattern for walking on.

TomCat said:
Two Part Epoxy!!!
Almost a year and a half later, and I've finally begun working on my garage. :D

I'm considering Motofloor from Costco at this point. I just wish that I could see it in person first as I don't think that Costco carries these in-store.

I had considered epoxy, but from what I've read, conditions have to be just right for the epoxy to adhere properly. The prospect of having to redo the floor in case of failure is a little intimidating. :tongue:

44Runner said:
which is probably what I will be going with as I just looked at how much this stuff costs. my garage measures 32' x 28' (32' is depth so I can park 2 cars deep, planning to park the NSX in the back corner and the S behind it). That would cost me an arm and a leg. I love that stuff but not sure I can justify at least 2.5 g's for it...
Valspar brand 2-part epoxy

mmmikemo said:
Just a tip if you choose to use the epoxy, as my neighbor found out the hard way...mix with some slip resistant grit...it gets VERY slick when wet...I think you can pick up the grit where you buy the paint...
It's a trade off. Smooth is easier to clean (broom and mop glide effortlessly across the top) but grit provides better traction. I'm familiar with both and prefer smooth.

I have another tip for epoxiers: Don't let blue windshield washer sit and evaporate. Brake fluid, acid, oil, etc won't hurt the paint...but windshield washer fluid will stain it. :eek:

BTW, Mike...I think this thread will suffice as your invitation to use your place for the next Colorado NSX gathering. :wink: Nice garage.

matteni said:
I tried 3 times to paint my last garage and it always looked bad after 2 years. I tried everything the "experts" said would "last forever".

5 years after epoxy painting my floor (and dragging in magnesium chloride onto it every time the morons around here put that crap down in a snow storm) it still looks really, really good. I would think something else is in play (preparation, application, use/abuse, ill-suited candidate surface/condition, paint type/quality) for a painted garage floor to look bad after 2 years.

I'll repeat this post with a lot more details on process, downsides, etc in Cbender's thread for those interested.

Wow!...I am surprised this thread came alive again...let me answer some of the questions...

Todd...(PM sent)...I never saw the ebay floor when I was looking. My initial impression would cause me to ask how it would hold up under weight and pressure with those design lines in the tile...I am extremely pleased with my floor...a couple of reasons:

1. Very easy to keep clean...I just hose it off and I use an industrial squeegee on a long handle to wipe off excess water...I keep a spray bottle of vinegar to use on stubborn stains prior to the hose off...so, very pleased with the maintenance.

2. I tool with my cars a bit and I jack up the car on jackstands...never a smudge or indentation with the tiles even using metal jack/stands...

3. Very easy installation...snapped together easily and I used a small rubber mallet to speed things up...also, extremely easy to trim at sides and around steps...so I really feel like I have a custom fit...

Finally, perforations allow for a lot of grit to fall through making it look a lot cleaner than it probably is...and, when it gets wet, it is not slippery.

I love it...get tons of positive comments...my neighbors say I have the cleanest garage in the hood...I would highly recommend it...

Mike

Last edited:
Very nice I want one too :smile:

Back