Finally finished my garage!

matteni said:
I too am in the process of upgrading the garage in the new home we moved into.

Just got the order in from John / Anytime racing for the BendPak single post lift. Also doing the drywall/prime/paint, installing workbench & cabinets, and ordering the custom floor tiles. I am going with the tiles availible through Costco here http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?prodid=11004805&whse=&topnav=&cat=&s=1

Others swear these are the exact same as the racedeck at a fraction of the cost. We shall see about that! Anyway - they are from Costco and Costco has incredible customer service / returns so if I don't like them they will refund 100% plus shipping costs inbound and outbound.

I am going with the black and grey checkerboard as I doubt I can keep the white looking that nice.

Anyway - great job and looks like a lot of folks are spending time and money on the garage this winter!

I had looked at those tiles too before I did my garage. I'm sure they are just as good as racedeck, my only issue was the lack of colors. I wanted a bit more design to my garage so I went with the racedeck. I think to finish my 22 X 22 garage addition, the racedeck was about $1500 :frown: At the time it was more money then I wanted to spend, but now I'm glad I did. It's great and very durable.

MMMIKEMO - I had also checked out the tiles with holes in them. What I wondered was what I would do it I spilt oil or something on the tile. How do you clean it up?
Definately adds a lot to the look of the garage. Sweet paint job too. The NSX needs a nice home just like we do :smile: :smile:

Attachments

• gar.JPG
    gar.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,493
A few answers...

Ariel - the tiles are easy to pick up...they snap together and unsnap quickly...funny you mention about a screw dropping into a hole, cause that is exactly what happened last week...I thought about the magnetic tip of the screwdriver, then just popped the tile instead...no problem...I haven't spilled anything yet, but I did clean them off after some muck from my "daily driver" melted on the floor...all I did was hose it off and raise the entire floor at the end next to the doors up a bit...the debris floated right under the tiles and out the door!!! If any oil spills, I'll just pop the tile and wipe it up...I don't realy care what the concrete below the tiles looks like...

Nick - I painted all the walls...no tape...did ceiling first, then put a chalk line on the wall for the yellow stripe...painted top half, then bottom, then curb wall and finally yellow to match my "spa yellow"...one tip, if you are going to use a stripe, I'd primer that area first...took me too many coats of paint to do the yellow, since there wasn't much actual paint in the can...mostly pigment if you get my drift...

Below is another view...
Mike

Attachments

• Anotherview.JPG
    Anotherview.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,434
mmmikemo said:
A few answers...

Ariel - the tiles are easy to pick up...they snap together and unsnap quickly...funny you mention about a screw dropping into a hole, cause that is exactly what happened last week...I thought about the magnetic tip of the screwdriver, then just popped the tile instead...no problem...I haven't spilled anything yet, but I did clean them off after some muck from my "daily driver" melted on the floor...all I did was hose it off and raise the entire floor at the end next to the doors up a bit...the debris floated right under the tiles and out the door!!! If any oil spills, I'll just pop the tile and wipe it up...I don't realy care what the concrete below the tiles looks like...

Nick - I painted all the walls...no tape...did ceiling first, then put a chalk line on the wall for the yellow stripe...painted top half, then bottom, then curb wall and finally yellow to match my "spa yellow"...one tip, if you are going to use a stripe, I'd primer that area first...took me too many coats of paint to do the yellow, since there wasn't much actual paint in the can...mostly pigment if you get my drift...

Below is another view...
Mike

nice!!! good info, and thanks for the tips...
i kinda like that idea of the holes coz the floor will always be clean, and you would rarely have to sweep, and mayb just do a bi-anual hose down to clean out under the tile.

matteni said:
They ARE expensive and I agree - paint is way cheaper.
Not all "paints." I have said it before, a top quality industrial checmical resistant urethane is a great solution. However, if you're looking for a checkerboard pattern, it won't work. It is also not any easy task to apply properly. One must know how to assess the current conditions of the concrete; moisture, previous chemical curing products used, sweeping compunds previously used that would have contained silicone, wicked oil, etc.

After reading the Costco description, I think that is a heck of a solution, especially since Nick is going to test them for all of us. :smile:

Nick, big mistake in revealing you are going to have a lift! :biggrin: Steve's probably outside your garage door already. :tongue:

I am in the process of trying to get the garage in my new house together and have always like the tile look. One side of the garage is to house my S2000 and hopefully an NSX in the not too distant future (June) and the other side is for the work shop/project area. I do a lot of cutting and welding and wonder how these tiles will hold up to sparks or if I went with tile would I have to roll it out in the driveway everytime I needed to cut and weld (which i would probably do most times anyways to keep the sparks away from the other cars)

44Runner said:
I do a lot of cutting and welding and wonder how these tiles will hold up to sparks...
Probably not too good. A good two-part epoxy would hold up best for welding spatter.

KGP said:
Probably not too good. A good two-part epoxy would hold up best for welding spatter.

which is probably what I will be going with as I just looked at how much this stuff costs. my garage measures 32' x 28' (32' is depth so I can park 2 cars deep, planning to park the NSX in the back corner and the S behind it). That would cost me an arm and a leg. I love that stuff but not sure I can justify at least 2.5 g's for it...

Costco tiles

Nick,
I calculated the Costco tiles and they came out be $2.70 a square feet.
Not that much less than the racedeck. Many have quoted racedeck at $3.00 a square. I have been quoted $2.75 a square feet before.

Did I miss something? I know Costco has great returns policy.

Danny

I have started looking into this type of flooring also. My garage is 26' x 23'. 12" x 12" Racedeck would be $1788 based on $2.99/ft2. I talked to a local company that carries Racedeck, trying to get a deal. He mentioned if I like the Diamond style they now have 18" x 18" XL version that works out to $1.55/ft2, $3.49/18" tile. Now my 26' x 23' floor is only $927. It may be a little more because I may need an extra row that gets cut, but this looks like the cheapest option out there.

The lowest delivered, tax free price I have found is also $2.99/ft so far.
The price you were quoted for the new XL tiles is very good. I thought they listed for several bucks each.
I am asking for a new quote. Tks for the info.
Ask them if they will ship for the same price :wink:

caz-nsx said:
I have started looking into this type of flooring also. My garage is 26' x 23'. 12" x 12" Racedeck would be $1788 based on $2.99/ft2. I talked to a local company that carries Racedeck, trying to get a deal. He mentioned if I like the Diamond style they now have 18" x 18" XL version that works out to $1.55/ft2, $3.49/18" tile. Now my 26' x 23' floor is only $927. It may be a little more because I may need an extra row that gets cut, but this looks like the cheapest option out there.

I asked about shipping and it is included in the price. They receive them at a warehouse and put them on a truck to deliver to me. It takes about a week.

Thanks. I've started another thread on this topic, dedicate solely to the question of painting versus tile.

I'm still not sure how I come out, so your comments/suggestions would be helpful. For the guys who've used RaceDeck, would it be possible to mix/match styles -- using, for example, the free-flow product near door-entries, the diamond-back stuff for where the cars get parked, but the laminate product in the workbench area? There's a logic to it, but perhaps the tiles are not interchangeable.

Thanks.
CBender

Last edited:
caz-nsx said:
I talked to a local company that carries Racedeck, trying to get a deal. He mentioned if I like the Diamond style they now have 18" x 18" XL version that works out to $1.55/ft2, $3.49/18" tile. Now my 26' x 23' floor is only $927.

I just spoke with the Oregon wholesaler for Race Deck, and he made it sound as if prices are just plain what they are (i.e., fixed). He said that they're pricing the product on the same per-square foot price, whether you go with the 12" tiles or 18" tiles. Cost: $3.49 per square foot, including shipping. For me, that works out to $1540 for flooring for a 21'x21' space. Not sure if that passes my gag threshold....

CB

Last edited:
j/c, are those tiles pretty tuff? When I first bought my house, 1 side of the garage had tiles on it, but it was crack'n everywhere :frown: ...so I decided to take them out...now, I'm think'n about putting some kind of epoxy coating on....anyone have recommendations for epoxy coating?

djskyy said:
j/c, are those tiles pretty tuff? When I first bought my house, 1 side of the garage had tiles on it, but it was crack'n everywhere :frown: ...so I decided to take them out...now, I'm think'n about putting some kind of epoxy coating on....anyone have recommendations for epoxy coating?

Well it looks like my garage project starts next week. It looks like Lowes has some options for 2 part epoxy floor coatings:
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productList&catalogId=FLOOR
Valspar and Rust-Oleum. Valspar comes in light and dark gray and the Rust-Oleum comes in Gray and Tan. I think I will be trying the gray Rust-Oleum and ordering a 30" and 24" cabinet:
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=pro...217344-46-GATGB000LG0^&selectSort=noSelection
and then building a workbench under them.

I need to change out the light fixtures to put out more light then I will paint the walls and hopefully have a half decent looking garage that will be easier to work in...

djskyy said:

I have used Sherwinn-Williams epoxy paint with good results:
http://www.sherwin.com/apps/PickPros/display.asp?type=data&id=172
You will have to acid wash the floor and apply the 2 part paint. They offer about any color you can think of. About $100.00 for the 2 part kit, 2 gal.

Gary

I don't disagree that the price of the tile flooring is a whole lot more than the DIY epoxy coating...

Just a tip if you choose to use the epoxy, as my neighbor found out the hard way...mix with some slip resistant grit...it gets VERY slick when wet...I think you can pick up the grit where you buy the paint...

That's why I went with the tiles...and it is something to consider if you live in an area that gets real wet...ie. snow, lots of rain, etc.

Mike

Gary W said:
I have used Sherwinn-Williams epoxy paint with good results:
http://www.sherwin.com/apps/PickPros/display.asp?type=data&id=172
You will have to acid wash the floor and apply the 2 part paint. They offer about any color you can think of. About $100.00 for the 2 part kit, 2 gal.

Gary

both epoxy coatings i linked to are 1 gallon kits and I went to Lowes to check out the Rust-Oleum kit today and it says on the box that it will cover 250 sq ft. I will be using 4 so the floor should come in right under 200 bucks. much better than the 2500 I was looking at for tiles. Tiles just eat up all the money I had budgeted for the project...

Back